Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm load too light

Smitty4313

Howdy gang!

Well, I loaded up some light loads for my 12 year old daughter's first range trip with a handgun, stock Glock 26. However, I loaded them up so light, the load doesn't have the oomph to cycle the slide, the recoil spring on that baby Glock is pretty stout. I've been reloading for 25 years, and I've never come across this scenario. Here's the rundown-

Berry's 115gr plated RN

Mixed headstamp brass

Winchester SMP's

5.0gr Bullseye

1.125 OAL

Now then, here's my dilemma-do I pull all the rest of the bullets, and start over with a stouter load? LOT'S OF WORK. Or, would anybody recommend going through and deep seat the bullets a bit to bump the internal pressures to get the slide working? PROBABLY A SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

Why not just put a lighter recoil spring in it. Would it not work with you or her shooting. That load does not look that light. I've shot my minor loads. 3.2 gr of titegroup behind a 135 gr in my 26 with a stock weight spring an it works fine suprisingly.

It didn't function with me behind it either. I thought she may be too light on the wrists at first, but it did it to me too. I haven't ever changed out a recoil spring on a stock Glock guiderod.

I'm also thinking that with the bullets being on the light side (115's), it's out of that short barrel so fast, that there wasn't time to get decent pressure built up with that load to blow the slide back. Not sure.

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

I think pushing them deeper is getting into dangerous territory. Your load is already at max by some of my books, and pressure is only going to get higher quickly in that short 9mm. And you don't gain all that much in velocity seating deeper. You gain a little, but not much, and I am not sure you would go from non-cyling to cycling with as little as you might gain with an unspecified increase in pressure.

Here's an actual example. I loaded 38 Super with 5.7 of 231 at 1.275. This produced 1205 fps. I then seated it to 1.210 and gained 37 fps, and there was a slight increase in recoil. The increase in velocity and recoil was equivalent to about 0.1 to at most 0.2 grains with that gunpowder. I don't have pressure data for this.

The easiest thing to do is to slightly increase the powder weight, working up the charge. My advise would be to consult a book or two and see what the min/max is and what velocity they're recording.

I've never worked with Bullseye, but at 5.0gr's, I find it very "weird" that it wouldn't be able to cycle a G26, especially with 115gr bullets. I will tell you though, that because of the short double-recoil spring, it's most likely heavier (with 1911's anyway). That said, I could shoot 4.0gr out of my Spartan and be fine (5"), but my EMP (3") wouldn't cycle. Don't be afraid to bump the charge up as long as you're not reaching or exceeding the "max" levels. Simply put, what works for some guns, won't work for another. My Spartan with 4.5gr of Win 231 @ 1.140" with 124gr FMJ makes 135PF (~1,100fps), my EMP with the SAME load makes 124pf (1,000fps). Big difference!

Maybe try a slower powder? Something like HP-38/Win 231? I've used Win 231 with very good results.

Edited by polizei1

I think the OP is getting at what to do with what he has loaded. I would NOT reseat the bullets deeper. Pressures are unpredictable when doing this. I would either use them single shot, pull them or give them to somebody who has a G17 or something else that will run them.

That's what I was getting at. With the load data given it should cycle the slide. I don't use bullseye but I have a friend that does at it seems very similar to titegroup. My 26 with a brand new factory weight recoil spring cycles fine with 3.2 grains of titegroup and a 135 grain bullet. I think there's something else going on. I would try the in another 9mm if possible.

I would pull a few and verify that there is 5 gr of bullseye in there.

Agreed, my Lee reloading book says 5 grains of Bullseye is a max load for jacketed 115 gr (sorry, no data for plated). I would think that you're problem ISN'T related to a lack of energy IF your loads are actually at 5 grains.

If that's the case, I would pull the bullets and start over. The most I've pulled is ~100. It sucks, but it's better than shooting them all single-shot!

I would rather shoot them all single shot and work on draws and one shot drills than using a bullet puller 400 times. Been there done that and it sucks.

pat

verify there is 5 gr of bullseye .

Lee reloading book says 5 grains of Bullseye is a max load for jacketed 115 gr

If 5.0 is max for jacketed, it may be OVER for plated.

I wouldn't bump it up - something else wrong - I'd agree to pulling

five cartridges = dump the 5 loads of powder in your scale , and see

if you have 25.0 grains Bullseye?? Or, is it really Bullseye???

:cheers:

Well gang, I think I got it figured out. My RCBS Rangemaster 750 scale wasn't zeroed out all the way. The readout gave me 1.5 grains as a zero point, and when I set my measure for what I though was 5.0 grains of Bullseye based on the scale, I was actually only throwing 3.5. So, I pulled 5 bullets of the remaining rounds, and sure enough, 3.5 on the nose for all 5. Not enough to get that Glock to cycle.

Now I just need to figure out why my scale did that. I've never had any problems with it. But also, I need to check my head for not catching the zero issue.

Be safe everybody!

Smitty

^ Glad you pulled your current reloads to verify the charge weight. 3.5 grains of BE won't get the slide going in a G26, as you have seen.

I too would have not recommended going higher than 5.0 grains of Bullseye or shorter OAL at the specs you gave in your original post.

I'd also recommend working up that load again and starting off low-mid 4.0 grains. BE is a fast powder so please load up carefully.

Have a great one

• 4 months later...

i am presently loading 9mm with 4.4gr W231.. small pistol primers .. with a col of 1.112.. they like scared rabbit in my "STOCK" G19 glock.. not one hiccup in 5,000+ rounds..

Edited by cecil