Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY primer tube filler question

OK I just ordered a 650 and now I'm sitting here waiting and thinking. I've seen those DIY auto primer tuble filler made from a small vibratory motor and a lee hand primer tray. My question is. Instead of using it to load primer tubes why not use it to directly fill the primer tube on the press? That would remove an extra step in the process.

One would have to develop a small "nipple" to fill the gap between the primer tray and the primer tube on the press. Doable? Yes. But... I use the old Frankford Arsenal vibra-prime (no longer available, IIRC), and at times have to shake and move the primer tray to get the primers to drop. THAT would be hard to do while keeping that nipple fixed on the press. I just fill up two primer tubes (One Dillon, the other the FA that came with it), and they sit beside my press. With 100 in the press, that's 300 primers just rarin' to go...

It seems to me that mounting the Dillon primer feeder on the press would work well. On Youtube there are some videos showing a set up like that, although the primer feed appears to be a flexible tube and not the Dillon set up.

Well I got my 650 in Friday but had to wait til Sunday to try it out. Filling the primer tube was a bit of a challenge. It seemed like the primers would get stuck and I couldn't force them into the tube even with quite some bit of pressure. Other than filler the primer tube everything went perfect. Now I know for sure I need a case feeder. :)

Well I got my 650 in Friday but had to wait til Sunday to try it out. Filling the primer tube was a bit of a challenge. It seemed like the primers would get stuck and I couldn't force them into the tube even with quite some bit of pressure. Other than filler the primer tube everything went perfect. Now I know for sure I need a case feeder. :)

Please dont force primers in the tube. They can go ff and the alum. WILL NOT contain the blast. The primers should go in and come out easy.

If 1 sticks in a tube toss the tube in the trash. Be careful. Also make sure you are using the right tube. There is a small and large tube.

Edited by sauza45

I use the old Frankford Arsenal vibra-prime (no longer available.....

Hmmmmm.... must be e.s.p. A few minutes ago I posted about the Vibra prime in the non-Dillon forum. I called Battenfeld (parent company) yesterday 10/15/12. They said they are bringing it back some time in 2013 for about $70 MSRP.

Edited by reloader901

Unless you have a better explanation as to why I was having to use significant force on the primer tube to get them to go in. I mean force to the point of tapping the top of the tube with my palm. Yesterday they seemed to go in just fine with very minimal force.

Unless you have a better explanation as to why I was having to use significant force on the primer tube to get them to go in. I mean force to the point of tapping the top of the tube with my palm. Yesterday they seemed to go in just fine with very minimal force.

Perhaps you exceeded the specifications in your reloading manual for the appropriate number of beers to be consumed during reloading :-)

That's just weird. And like others have said don't force primers to do anything they don't want to. Are you sure you have the right tip on the tube? Mine worked fine the first time I used them and they still work fine 3 years later.

Yellow tip for small primers right? I removed the yellow tip and reseated it a few times that along with the first 100 primers 50 per session seemed to really help with the problem. Maybe I was trying to go at a slight angle instead of straight up and down?

Yellow tip for small primers right? I removed the yellow tip and reseated it a few times that along with the first 100 primers 50 per session seemed to really help with the problem. Maybe I was trying to go at a slight angle instead of straight up and down?

You can do one of two things. Spread them out a little bit. You can probably use some hot water to heat them up? Or you can just call Dillon and tell them you have two that are just too tight. I'm sure they will send you a couple.

Is the tip all the way on? If you leave a gap in seating the tip the primer can tilt after pickup and catch on the lip of the metal tube, creating a jam.

I'll check this afternoon. That might have been the problem seems that it started to work after removing and reinserting the yellow tip twice.

I use a case mouth chamfer tool to make sure my tubes don't have any burr or sharp edges on the inside diameter (ID) of the tube. All you want is a tiny edge break, not a chamfer or funnel. Also, I use the same tool to chamfer the plastic part, making a bigger target for the primer. I find I can pick up primers faster and easier with the funnel mouth on the plastic part.

the tube worked with out any issues. I guess it was just tight and needed to be broken in.

blink.gifNow we are breaking in primer tubes? What is this world coming to?eatdrink.gif

Sarge,

Load tube with 1 primer, seat primer clean tube with long pipe cleaner dipped in plastic safe parts cleaner allow to dry, do this 5 times..

Load tube with 5 primers,seat primers clean tube with long pipe cleaner do this 3 times...

Clean tube with JB Paste then load as normal..

or if your tubes are chrome lined or have some other treatment load and seat,thay are unbreakableinable.. :roflol: :roflol:

the tube worked with out any issues. I guess it was just tight and needed to be broken in.

blink.gifNow we are breaking in primer tubes? What is this world coming to?eatdrink.gif

Sarge,

Load tube with 1 primer, seat primer clean tube with long pipe cleaner dipped in plastic safe parts cleaner allow to dry, do this 5 times..

Load tube with 5 primers,seat primers clean tube with long pipe cleaner do this 3 times...

Clean tube with JB Paste then load as normal..

or if your tubes are chrome lined or have some other treatment load and seat,thay are unbreakableinable.. :roflol: :roflol:

cheers.gif