Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 and NewTek primer fix work around

What would it take to update your 650 to current specs?

It would cost $94 to buy a new platform... I can't stand the primer problem, but I don't feel like spending another $94 on a platform to mount a $20 piece of plastic. I'm sure there is another way, at least I hope so

Edited by JesseR

How about just sending it in for a refurb with a note saying you have constant issues with primer misfeeds (or whatever you are having issues with). My 650 primer setup works perfectly. Way less trouble then the 550 setup which was OK but not great. My 650 is only 1 year old.

How about just sending it in for a refurb with a note saying you have constant issues with primer misfeeds (or whatever you are having issues with). My 650 primer setup works perfectly. Way less trouble then the 550 setup which was OK but not great. My 650 is only 1 year old.

A complete possibility, but I'm in the middle of a large reload. My 550 was GREAT, the used 650 I bought, not so much. I have some ways to mill it out and build a solid chute, but was hoping for a quick fix. I should have known better. To tear it down and ship it in would be a couple of weeks. A very valid and good option and I might do it before winter gets here. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's just a home made version of the NewTek device. I can apply that concept to the older model if I ream out the platform primer drop hole. I might just have to mill it out, it would cheaper, but would take some work.

Stopped my 650 throwing primers with a hose end washer and some tape. Taped the washer to the cup now 99% of the spent primers stay in the cup.

I can visualize what you are saying about the end washer. If you could post a pic I would really appreciate it.

What exactly is the problem with your current 650? Have you talked to Dillon? Their customer service is great. Can you post pics of the newtek thingy?

The 650 has a history of throwing primers so they don't make it in the cup resulting in spent primers on your reloading bench. The NewTek device remove the primer cup and replaces it with a plastic nipple where you attach a hose to drop the spent primers directly in the trash can or anywhere else you want to route the hose. You can see this by type 650 primer on ebay.

The older models have a different primer cup which throws even more primers then the newer platform plate. Makes it very messy.

Well I can't figure out the difference between the Platforms, but my platform really doesn't have the clearance to accept a tube or a chute. Even if I mill it out, it won't work. So now I'm looking at needing a new platform or sending in the old press for a make over. I'll give Dillon a call tomorrow!

Well a little update and yet another reason why Dillon is the best company I've ever done business with... I called and explained my case, the nice man on the phone, without skipping a breath said he would mail me out a new platform with instructions and aligning tools. Yep, just asked for my member number to verify my address!

Yahoo! I get my press updated and back on track to rock out some rounds this winter. I'm so very glad I spent the money on a Dillon instead of anything else. These guys know customer service better then anyone I've ever seen. Now if I could just talk them into sending me a Dillon Aero Minigun.....

So I just bought a press off this forum. Wondering if the customer service is the same if you don't buy direct from Dillon. Also does there local store in Scottsdale offer customer service support. thanks for the help

People have bought presses at yard sales that were all rusty. Sent them to Dillon for a complete overhaul. Dillon does not care where you got your press. They just want it to be right!

So I just bought a press off this forum. Wondering if the customer service is the same if you don't buy direct from Dillon. Also does there local store in Scottsdale offer customer service support. thanks for the help

For tech/warranty help, you should deal with Dillon directly. (They don't care how you acquired the press.)

Well, I got the new platform parts and had it installed in about 40 minutes and properly aligned. The UniqueTek primer chute is installed and routed to the trash can. The press is now even better. Only thing left is the Mr Bullet feeder...

I must say Dillon's service is so good, I don't know how they stay in business. I'm very grateful for their service and will be a Dillon customer for life. I've never experienced customer service like they have!