Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glocks in competition

Jadeslade

Regardless of what the rules "should be" or how hard someone decides to dump their gun, the way the rules are currently written, a striker fired weapon is FAR more advantageous in the realm of abandonment in 3 Gun. Just like Mark mentioned, I've seen too many top shooters get DQ-ed becasuse when the 2011 hits the table, the safety gets depressed. For 3 gun, where abandonment is an issue, it's just another point on the "pros" side for glock's (or any striker pistol).

I also feel like which pistol you're shooting matters less in 3 gun than in USPSA (first because of the fact that it usually only accounts for 33% of your score at best, and second because of stage layout being less geared toward pure speed in 3 Gun as compared to USPSA)....whereas which pistol you're abandoning/manipulating can end your match...just food for thought.

I do agree though that while some shooters are gifted enough to shoot anything they pick up with extreme speed and that some shooters (myself included) can naturally present/shoot the Glock better than other options out there, the fact that the majority of top open and top limited shooters are using something other than the glock has to be taken into account to some degree...If someone tells me they are going to look into open, my first comment isn't "Oh ya get a glock!" even though that's what I tend to have the most success with.

Edited by GorillaTactical

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion but downgrading, yes downgrading, from a 2011 to a Glock just for abandonment is not a very good reason. I've watched shooters at major matches unload a gun instead of putting the safety on, seems a little overly cautious. Its a safety and its there for a reason, train and use it. If your safety comes off how hard are you throwing your gun? No doubt, to each his own but not for this guy. Glocks are great for lots of things but I'm just not buying the abandonment argument.

I'm not buying the "downgrading" argument. :)

I've kept up with...and beat...way too many good OPEN gun shooters with their 1911's.

I bet that has more to do with the indian than the arrow or the bow rather in your case. I personally like both Glocks and 1911's I did an experiment once. I shot a steel match with both my 2011 STI Edge in 40sw with major power loads and my Glock 17 with minor loads and a good trigger. I beat my Glock time with my STI by over 10 seconds. I shoot both guns quite a bit.

Pat

There is no way in hell those guns are 10 seconds apart. Other factors at play.

...striker fired pistols to be dumped with no real safety...

:rolleyes:

After all these years... <sigh>

I trust Glocks for carry my point is throwing a Glock down in a bucket or a 1911 is the same degree of risk. Maybe a touch more with the 1911 but not much and if the 1911 still has a working grip safety I would say its a wash. Just my opinion. I like both guns.

Pat

10 seconds apart.....uhh......yeah.

Your comment sounded like your calling me a liar? 9x23guy was even there if I recall.

I shot the match with both guns to see how close they would be. Have you done anything remotely similar or are you just making a flippent comment? Perhaps there was something else at play but that is how I shot them both. I will have to try it again soon and see if the results change much.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Perhaps but it turned out that way. Will try again later. Nothing against Glocks and in fact I like them quite a bit if I could shoot them as well as 2011's I would go all Glock. I tease 9x23guy a lot about his M&P's and tell him to get a GLock. But in my opinion there is no way to get a Glocks or any striker fired pistol trigger to the level a 1911 style gun can have. Hence why you see 2011's dominating divisions where they are allowed to compete. It was notable when Sevigny won limited with a Glock because no one had done it before. If he had won with a 1911 it would have been ho hum because that always happens.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

But in my opinion there is no way to get a Glocks or any striker fired pistol trigger to the level a 1911 style gun can have. Hence why you see 2011's dominating divisions where they are allowed to compete.

pat

I completely agree. I am a firm believer that there's no trigger ever devised that feels better than a 1911 trigger. I shoot an Open G17, a Pro G34, and next month I'll start shooting a Lim G35. As I've stated earlier in this post.....Glocks just feel good to me and the way I shoot. I just dont agree with the abandonment point the OP has made as to why he's dropped his Glock from his bag.

But in my opinion there is no way to get a Glocks or any striker fired pistol trigger to the level a 1911 style gun can have. Hence why you see 2011's dominating divisions where they are allowed to compete.

pat

I completely agree. I am a firm believer that there's no trigger ever devised that feels better than a 1911 trigger. I shoot an Open G17, a Pro G34, and next month I'll start shooting a Lim G35. As I've stated earlier in this post.....Glocks just feel good to me and the way I shoot. I just dont agree with the abandonment point the OP has made as to why he's dropped his Glock from his bag.

Got you. Glocks feel good to me too and thats why I carry one at work willingly and sold my former Wilson Combat as a duty gun. However if I could get a 1911 trigger on a Glock I would be in heaven.

Pat

Me personally I don't find a disadvantage in shooting a Glock vs. my 2011 in a 3Gun match. Since I've switched to my G34 from my 2011 my placement (after some teething time) in 3Gun matches has been relatively the same.

I've found that with my G34 I can download my loads when compared to what my 6" SVI needs to run.

If I run a blue GW spring in my G34 actually shoots "softer" than my SVI using the same loads. If you compare the bore axis between the Glock and a 2011/1911... the Glock has an advantage.

@50 yards the accuracy is comparable between the two.

The Vanek trigger (done by Vanek) on my G35 is fairly comparable to my 2lb triggers on my 2011. The Vanek has a longer pull, but I can overcome that by just getting used to it. With a Vanek, GW, etc. trigger I don't think the difference in triggers is an issue anymore. Even with a stock G34/35 trigger I don't find it an issue either.

This is for minor loads. With major loads, for me I think that's where the 2011 has an advantage over the Glock.

For me the accuracy the 2011 way out does my glocks. My Glocks run 3 inches or so at 25 yards while my 2011 runs around 1.5 inches or less depending on the load. The trigger is also where I pick up speed with the 2011 this is more with longer shots on smaller steel of course. Up close there is no real speed difference for me. I have not tried the Vanek trigger sounds like I should.

Pat

The trigger is also where I pick up speed with the 2011 this is more with longer shots on smaller steel of course. Up close there is no real speed difference for me.

Pat

I think this is a good point to address...you always hear that you can't shoot fast enough with a Glock to be consistently competitive in the divisions above production, because you can't keep up "UP CLOSE" (inside of 10 yards) with the guys who have shorter and lighter triggers in their 2011's...at least, this is the argument I always hear when I mess around with Glocks in Limited or Open (SPECIFICALLY OPEN)....I think Pat makes a good point, and that is that up close is really a non-issue (at least for me...I can pull the trigger as fast as my sights return to target on Glocks or 2011 alike)....if we're having a discussion of trigger being better in the 2011, it needs to be qualified by focusing on the effectiveness of hitting tight targets beyond 25 yards.

In terms of barrel accuracy, I've found my Glocks usually come in between 1.75-2.75" at 25 yards from a rest (both the 17 and 34 with the 34 being slightly tighter). For me, I feel like this is acceptable accuracy for USPSA / 3 Gun. I make this assertion based on the fact that we rarely are made to take a bullseye shot.....granted, having a more accurate gun is never a bad thing....................except when it gives you less reason to blame the gun goof.gif

Edited by GorillaTactical

I started shooting pistols with a G22. Great gun and never had a problem. I switched to a 2011 and just love the trigger and the splits I can get from them. I will probably always own a Glock, but not for Limited or open div. Just my 2 cents.

BTW- Saw KC shooting open for Glock this past weekend at NC Sectional. Real fast!

I started shooting pistols with a G22. Great gun and never had a problem. I switched to a 2011 and just love the trigger and the splits I can get from them. I will probably always own a Glock, but not for Limited or open div. Just my 2 cents.

BTW- Saw KC shooting open for Glock this past weekend at NC Sectional. Real fast!

He shot a G34 (I think) for production in a local match this past weekend and he was still really fast! Nice guy too. He has offered tips to several of us when he is at our matches.

• 1 month later...

Shot my last Glock. the wham has kind of gone out of it since Dave left.

WOW! That was pretty much the last reason I started shooting a Glock in Production. I bought one because it did something my M&P would not do. RUN. But I will say since going to a 2011 I don't see ever shooting one again in competition. Now there is a reason to stop shooting Glocks.

TOP...but consider you don't have to spend $70+ bucks on a 'tuned' mag for a Glock! $25.99 for a factory mag, and you are off and shooting!

...you always hear that you can't shoot fast enough with a Glock to be consistently competitive in the divisions above production, because you can't keep up "UP CLOSE" (inside of 10 yards) with the guys who have shorter and lighter triggers in their 2011's...at least, this is the argument I always hear ...

I get a chuckle out of these stories.

Maybe somebody should have told Vogel that he could have shot something "way better" than his Glock 24 when he competed and won the USPSA Limited-10 Nationals two years straight. I don't know why he would put up with such a mediocre platform. My guess is that he's probably just too busy putting rounds downrange with the pistol that he loves instead of trying to find a reason not to love it.

I went back to the Glock after deciding that I wanted to run the same as what I carry and use on the job. Really the biggest thing though was that one day I spent a bit of time looking up my past times/placings running a Glock vs. my tricked-out 1911's or Shadows; almost exactly the same, the only real variable was my performance.

I'll say this though, due to their lightness and unique trigger, I do believe Glocks are a far less forgiving platform to shoot well than some others, but it's nothing dry-fire and maybe some grip-strength can't overcome. I don't buy Glocks being really any less accurate (mechanically speaking) than anything else, a crisp-SA trigger in a heavier gun will just let one get away with things that a Glock won't is all.

pat

What was the original posters reason?

pat

What was the original posters reason?

You should know that... :D

Dave left.