Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting used to a heavy gun - Glock to Edge

Rob D

I recently made the switch from a Glock 35 set up for limited division to a bull barrel STI Edge. I've been shooting it for about a month, and I'm getting used to the change in grip angle, the safeties, and the single action trigger. That said, I feel like I'm shooting a boat anchor. It takes extra effort to move the gun and, more annoyingly, to stop the gun. I find myself swinging the gun over the target and having to bring it back much of the time. The sights track very nicely, but I wasn't really having a problem with recoil management with the glock, so I don't know that the extra weight of the bull barrel and long dust cover is helping me out.

My question is this: Has anybody else made this change and gotten used to the heavy gun? How long did it take? I'm wondering if I should try to get a lighter 2011 that weighs closer to what my glock did or if I should just keep shooting this thing until my skills adapt to the heavy gun. Any advice is appreciated.

I recently made the switch from a Glock 35 set up for limited division to a bull barrel STI Edge. I've been shooting it for about a month, and I'm getting used to the change in grip angle, the safeties, and the single action trigger. That said, I feel like I'm shooting a boat anchor. It takes extra effort to move the gun and, more annoyingly, to stop the gun. I find myself swinging the gun over the target and having to bring it back much of the time. The sights track very nicely, but I wasn't really having a problem with recoil management with the glock, so I don't know that the extra weight of the bull barrel and long dust cover is helping me out.

My question is this: Has anybody else made this change and gotten used to the heavy gun? How long did it take? I'm wondering if I should try to get a lighter 2011 that weighs closer to what my glock did or if I should just keep shooting this thing until my skills adapt to the heavy gun. Any advice is appreciated.

You'll send trends of going from super heavy to super light. RIght now I see a lot of the top GMs with full dustcover guns but lighten slides. That doesn't mean that will work for you. This is coming from a guy that shoots a 42oz production gun.

Edited by steel1212

I shot a G34 in Production and then switched to a CZ SP01 Shadow (I also run a Brazos 2011 in Limited - very similar to a lightened slide Edge). It's closer in weight to the Edge. I initially noticed the same thing but quickly got used to it. I would recommend sticking with it. If you're still having problems, you can always go with a short dust cover bushing barreled gun.

I too just made a switch from a G34 to a SP01 Shadow. I do like how the extra weight soaks up the snap of the recoil. I did notice almost immediately that I can shoot the shadow better but credit that to the trigger of the gun. Good luck with the Edge!!!

I'm looking to make the glock to 2011 switch myself. I've noticed the same issues you stated about transitions with my Spartan so a wide body will be worse. I think my G35 has taught me bad habits. Its so light it stops on a dime. After 30min of el prez's with the heavier gun I could feel the deceleration getting smoother.

Give it some time, work on transitions and I think it will come together. Plus you never have to fire a live round to work on those mechanics.

I've recently made the switch from a G35 limted set up to a 2011 rig. It's a lightened slide, bull barrel, short dust cover gun. But I also occassionaly shoot my wifes stock Edge. I do notice with her gun that I overswing if I don't have a solid head snap. If I snap my eyes/head to the target first, it doesn't seem to matter what gun I'm shooting, it just stops right where I'm looking. If I get lazy on the head snap, I over swing every time. Haven't shot my new lightened gun enough yet to know how focused I need to be with it, but with the Edge, I have to pay attention.

I suggest working on making sure you get a good eye, head, gun transition. Almost over execute the head snap at first until it's in your head then it's back to auto pilot.

Look on the bright side, changes keep things fresh and exciting

On the downside, you don't get used to a gun if you keep changing.

Anyway, I switched from an XDM to a Brazos HP Edge. I am a big fellow, so the weight doesn't bother me too much. Its also hard chromed, adding more weight over a blued Edge. One thing I have been doing to help with manipulation is holding various weights straight out from my body. I am up to 15lbs and I run 3 sets of 30s with both hands, 20s strong hand and 20s weak hand. I also do lighter weights and move around and lean to each side to try to simulate barricades and target transitions. I get a few looks at the gym.

Sounds like you liked the glock why the switch?

Mostly because I wanted a single action trigger. I was also ready to try something new as I spent 2 years shooting my G34 in production, and the next year shooting my G35 in limited. I love Glocks, but I'm ready to see what kind of trouble I can get into with a purpose-built race gun.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like a lot of you guys adjusted to the weight without too much trouble. I did El Pres about 200 times in dry fire last night. Hopefully with a little more of that I'll start stopping the gun in the right place.

Edited by Rob D

not only will you get "used" to the weight, you will come to appreciate it

I jumped from Production to Limited this year after 5 years, and after a short acclimation period, I just cant bring myself to pick up the plastic gun anymore

I love the weight, trigger, and accuracy of the 2011

Edited by waynes_world_45

My best approach for the weight management was to practice indexing and drawing a lot to get the feel. I set up about 8 targets in my basement at differing intervals and would just practice drawing and then indexing across the array to learn how fast I could push the gun and how quick I could slow it down. I went from a heavily lightened 6" STI bushing gun with a standard dust cover and polymer grip to an open SV with a butler cut and full length dust cover with a hybrid barrel and a steel signature SV grip. She's heavy, but once I got used to it I love it.