Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest for 2013

HotLoad

My new limited gun is on its way from Matt Cheely and I had him drill and tap the frame for a thumb rest for the new rule changes for limited 2013. Trying to decide which thumb rest to try. Its either going to be the GoGas *thumb rest [generic]* or the DAA adjustable thumb rest. Looking for opinions from people who have used either one or both. I am leaning towards the DAA adj. as we are all made a little different.

Thanks Jeff

Included a pic of the new blaster!

post-24313-0-19342600-1348677883_thumb.j

I have a CR Speed thumb rest on my Open gun, but I got to handle a DAA the other day and that definitely seems like the way to go. Especially on a Limited gun that doesn't have a scope mount, you'll want the built-in shield that the DAA has so you don't stop the slide with your thumb.

Off topic, is that one of the new STI aluminum grips?

I have a CR Speed thumb rest on my Open gun, but I got to handle a DAA the other day and that definitely seems like the way to go. Especially on a Limited gun that doesn't have a scope mount, you'll want the built-in shield that the DAA has so you don't stop the slide with your thumb.

Off topic, is that one of the new STI aluminum grips?

It is an STI aluminum grip but I believe it is the old style that Matt Fitted. It was anodized black.

Thanks Jeff

Edited by HotLoad

post-24914-0-64607300-1348711967_thumb.jHi guys'.....I swear that I had the same subject last week on this forum. :blink:

Anyway, Ive been using the DAA thumb rest for quite some time....I love it!! :devil:

Now having said that....I've ordered an SVI non adjustable rest on the gun that I've orderd from Brandon.

The reason is......an adjustable is great but...I've had others ( with simular sized hands as myself) use my guns....and they didnt need to adjust the thumb rest. :)

I think that unless you have really small hands or short thumbs a rest is going to give you more problems thaqn it solves. Because in order to access the rest....you will be compromising the grip that you've been using successfully.

But to each his own....if you can try before you buy. :devil: :devil:

I'll attach a pic of my beast onto this posting.

Edited by Carmine

I had my smith drill and tap my frame so I could experiment with some. I like the GoGuns unit. Shot an informal steel match with it today and it was really cool, in my opinion. Consistent place for my thumb, no noticeable pulling/steering, etc. I took it off after the match though since I don't wanna get spoiled by it before Nationals where I can't use it anyway. :roflol:

8041419328_949b10e1ea_b.jpg

Edited by JaeOne3345

Sorry, but this is an open gun!

I'm not seeing the compensator or dot, sorry. :roflol: This looks no different than many ipsc standard guns have for years.

Hell, I don't even have fiber glowing on the front end. LOL

At my local matches I run the slide racker only. Every stage, someone RO'ing has to ask me about the racker. All I say is, "Show me in writing where the racker isn't legal. Go ahead, I'll wait." Crickets..chirp, chirp. Nobody reads the rule book. Reminds of tests where a professor will specifically say in the instructions to skip a specific problem, but everyone does it, LOL.

Edited by JaeOne3345

I'm not seeing the compensator or dot, sorry. :roflol: This looks no different than many ipsc standard guns have for years.

At my local matches I run the slide racker only. Every stage, someone RO'ing has to ask me about the racker. All I say is, "Show me in writing where the racker isn't legal. Go ahead, I'll wait." Crickets..chirp, chirp. Nobody reads the rule book. Reminds of tests where a professor will specifically say in the instructions to skip a specific problem, but everyone does it, LOL.

Not sure about USPSA rules, but in IPSC this gun will be in OPEN division for sure. Just for one single reason - it doesn't fit the box ...

I think his point is they're making limited into an open division without optics. In my opinion, they're ruining the division but oh well.

Well, lightening, huge mag wells, etc are already allowed.

The only difference being limited is iron sights, no compensator, 40sw as a minimum for major, and no big stick mags. I don't see how people are so worried about a thumb rest really.

Does it help a little? Depends who talk you, but c'mon it isn't a compensator.

IPSC standard has allowed slide rackers (which have been legal in uspsa), and thumbrest for ever now. Are IPSC standard guns competitive with open guns? No. Sorry. People are worried about thumbrest in Limited, yet numerous people IN OPEN division hate them, choose not to run them for personal preference, and still kick ass. Why would limited be any different?

If we already have divisions like production and single stack which are aimed at keeping things simplistic, why do we need to do the same for limited? Limited has been a gamer class. Look at all the crazy cut up guns, sight trackers, etc, that have already bee used for years.

Limited has been the iron sight racer division forever now. I am not sure why people are worried about it. If you want to be restricted to a basic gun, shoot production/single stack.

Open = Formula 1

Limited = Lemans ... Lemans may not be as fast as Formula 1, but it is still a highly modified race division, period.

Not sure about USPSA rules, but in IPSC this gun will be in OPEN division for sure. Just for one single reason - it doesn't fit the box ...

Correct, but with a non angled slide racker, thinner rest, and a smaller mag well, it would. My point is that IPSC standard guns have incorporated rackers and thumb rests and that didn't make those guns extremely faster than a gun without.

And we do not have a box for USPSA.

I think his point is they're making limited into an open division without optics. In my opinion, they're ruining the division but oh well.

Open = Formula 1

Limited = Lemans ... Lemans may not be as fast as Formula 1, but it is still a highly modified race division, period.

As an aside, group c cars at lemans went over 260 mph, while formula 1 cars could never reach those speeds. Just sayin'...

As an aside, group c cars at lemans went over 260 mph, while formula 1 cars could never reach those speeds. Just sayin'...

Okay, so who would win depends on the track....

Let me use this analogy then, F1 vs Indy. There. LOL. May look similar in design. No where near the same in performance/technology.

Edited by JaeOne3345

Was thinking the exact same thing. :)

Open gun? Nah. Could easily install a stubby Cheely shorty racker on it and still fit the IPSC box. Is this gun gonna give an IPSC open gun a run for it's money? No.

standard_thumb3.jpg

Did that grip develop a tumor? :devil:

• 5 weeks later...