Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Colt .308 "AR-10" rifle for 3 gun

Chills1994

Looks like a decent rifle. Wonder why the went with a SSA-E instead of the S3G. Was that a vltor upper? I know he mentioned the lower, didnt hear what he said about the upper (my comp. speakers are strange)

Nice wiemar BTW!

Edited by mjs408

Not bad for thier first attempt. A light profile barrel would be preferrable and you need the absolute best comp you can find for 308. I do like the 20" barrel as it will work well for both Heavy Scope and heavy irons. Trigger selection is tough because there are several good ones out there and everyone has thier favorite. Price point will make or break this kit for sure. If they try to price it like an OBR or an LRP-07, they will sit unloved.

Colt's Manufacturing (separate company from Colt Defense that makes AR's) licensed the Colt name for the Competition Series rifles to a manufacturer in Oregon. These are not Hartford, CT products (counts as a plus in my book). The 223 Competition Experts and Pros have sold quite well.

Edited by Middle Man

I thought Dave worked for Warne?

Colt's Manufacturing (separate company from Colt Defense that makes AR's) licensed the Colt name for the Competition Series rifles to a manufacturer in Oregon. These are not Hartford, CT products (counts as a plus in my book). The 223 Competition Experts and Pros have sold quite well.

I guess that's why Dave is at the range in Albany OR.

Edited by TMC

Looks really HEAVY and torques really bad to the right when he fires it. Maybe they need more R&D.

Good sir. I am also considering an ar 10 platform. What would you suggest? For a rifle without going to a 3k JP or that price range.

• 1 month later...

Greg, rifle looks great. Is it officially out?

Not until January. (Which is getting SO close!) I happened to have a connection and feel very lucky to own this monster! Still haven't shot it yet. It's been raining cats and dogs here in the Portland, Oregon area. But this Saturday for sure.

That wouldn't be information that I know. I know Dave Wilcox from Warne/Bold Ideas, but don't work for them. (Wife does) I know a lot of the ins-n-out of this gun as well as the other Colt CR guns, but not much more than what you could research. (At least no more that I'm allowed to share with other people.) I have a guess what it might run since all their stuff is high quality PLUS the Colt name, but it's certainly not for me to say. I'll leave that to the people that make the gun. But if you google colt competition rifle and go to the site, you can see the 3 other guns they've made. (The CRP-18 Expert and Pro as well as the new M2012 for what I'm assuming would be precision rifle.)

My GUESS...and only a guess (no insider info here, I promise.) Would be somewhere in the JP Rifle range. Maybe a hair less. Then again, I really have ZERO information on the price of the gun. I guess we will find out soon!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• 2 weeks later...