Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ways for fast dot tracking training/practice

g mac

How do you learn from a .22 and airsoft? doesnt the dots move as much on these gun? I havent tested them but I assume their timing is quite different from the real ones.

The full house guns recoil more of course but you still get practice finding the dot on the draw and on transition from target to target and the recoil with our open guns is not all that great so it is still good training. Pulling the trigger is pulling the trigger.

Pat

Thanks for all the excellent tips so far:

1) I guess shooting with a dotted .22 pistol makes a lot of sense, since it's cheaper thus more practice.

2) Bringing the dot to eye level also makes sense

3) Shooting plates at different distances from draw is excellent

How do you learn from a .22 ?

I guess there is some advantage to it, but I tried shooting a

.22 for a year, and didn't think it helped me at all. No blast,

no recoil, the grip is at the wrong angle, the trigger is

severely curved.

And, the price of .22 is not as cheap as I remember as a boy -

General Custer and I used to pay a LOT LESS than they charge

now.

I stopped shooting .22 and went back to shooting my 9mm major -

and I found the Dot Torture Drill - love it...

different results for me. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Understand that when I shoot a plate rack I tend to aim for different plates to do a bit of transition training as opposed to shooting them straight down the line. I usually practice this at 20-25 yards. It's helped alot with my transition shooting.

As far as using a .22 and the differences in recoil....simple reason why I don't- train like you fight. Food for thought. Good luck in your training.

Without sounding like a D doesn't all practice involve that?

If its eye speed there are a bunch of drills to speed that up. I sometimes just go back and forth from the taillights of the car in front of me.

Dry fire will help with acquistion and driving to next spot and shot.

Back to my first comment I think people usually need to see more than they are used to so if you are practicing the right things it all comes together.

Understand that when I shoot a plate rack I tend to aim for different plates to do a bit of transition training as opposed to shooting them straight down the line. I usually practice this at 20-25 yards. It's helped alot with my transition shooting.

As far as using a .22 and the differences in recoil....simple reason why I don't- train like you fight. Food for thought. Good luck in your training.

For starters we are playing a game not fighting. Second Open guns don't have all that much recoil to start with and second even for fighting guns .22 practice helps with the fundamentals and its very valuable. Practicing with my 22 is what has helped me go up to B class recently in Open. I also use my .22 AR a lot for practice. I am not saying you still should not practice with your full power race gun you should. But practice with a .22 trainer where you can litterally afford to shoot thousands of rounds is also a good thing. Proof is in the pudding and its working for me.

pat

Obviously, you've never heard that saying. It's meant more in the way of knowing your gun and the recoil from it. I see what you're saying...training with a .22 is much more cost effective. I submit this to you- a .22 upper mounted on your open lower won't recoil the same way as your open upper, nor will it weigh the same not having the comp on the end. I shoot a Tupperware open gun, and the tac-sol upper doesn't compare, thus....my open gun doesn't feel the same way when I compete. not trashing your thinking, just clarifying what works for me. In the end...your ways and views on training work work the same way for me and vise verse.

To the OP- take in all the info and counter points and see what works best for you. Afterall...that's why we're all here, isn't it?

@Hi-Power Jack: What is "Dot Torture Drill"?

It's a target consisting of ten small (2-3") dots on the

paper - you shoot them at 7 - 12 yards - start up close

and work back as you deem necessary.

It's on the web under dot torture drill - you can print

out the targets.

I've found it very helpful to me. :cheers:

For starters we are playing a game not fighting. Second Open guns don't have all that much recoil to start with and second even for fighting guns .22 practice helps with the fundamentals and its very valuable. Practicing with my 22 is what has helped me go up to B class recently in Open. I also use my .22 AR a lot for practice. I am not saying you still should not practice with your full power race gun you should. But practice with a .22 trainer where you can litterally afford to shoot thousands of rounds is also a good thing. Proof is in the pudding and its working for me.

pat

22 practice has helped me greatly as well. I normally fire twice as many 22 rounds as match rounds when I practice. I make the targets harder for the 22 and always finish sessions with my match rounds.

Is that as good as only using match rounds? I don't think so. Is it the best alternative I have found to maximize my ability to do live fire practice? Yes, from both money and time perspectives.

Ohh... And the 22 is just fun :cheers:

Obviously, you've never heard that saying. It's meant more in the way of knowing your gun and the recoil from it. I see what you're saying...training with a .22 is much more cost effective. I submit this to you- a .22 upper mounted on your open lower won't recoil the same way as your open upper, nor will it weigh the same not having the comp on the end. I shoot a Tupperware open gun, and the tac-sol upper doesn't compare, thus....my open gun doesn't feel the same way when I compete. not trashing your thinking, just clarifying what works for me. In the end...your ways and views on training work work the same way for me and vise verse.

To the OP- take in all the info and counter points and see what works best for you. Afterall...that's why we're all here, isn't it?

I heard what your saying, your the one who seems to have missed what I said. I did not say you should not practice with your open gun. I did say practining with a understudy .22 gun can help you along even further. Is it the same thing exactly no. Does that mean there is nothing to be gained also no. You seem to think its a all or none situation and its not. I generally start with the real thing until I have shot up my alloted ammo and then I burn through a couple of bricks of .22 ammo doing the same drills. If what you were saying is correct you should never dry fire as there is no recoil at all.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

pat

22 practice has helped me greatly as well. I normally fire twice as many 22 rounds as match rounds when I practice. I make the targets harder for the 22 and always finish sessions with my match rounds.

Is that as good as only using match rounds? I don't think so. Is it the best alternative I have found to maximize my ability to do live fire practice? Yes, from both money and time perspectives.

Ohh... And the 22 is just fun :cheers:

Agreed I can't afford to fire 1000 rounds of .38 super comp or 9mm each practice session.

For me it's a compromise like a simulator. Not as realistic as full loads but not as boring as dry fire. With the economy and the price of components for many it's much better than nothing. If you shoot a revolver get a 617 there addictive like crack.