Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal maximum of reloading materials ?

I was told by another shooter that BATFE now stipulates that you can only have so much powder, and so many primers for reloading.

Supposedly also you are limited to 1K rounds in any caliber also.

True ?

Utter BS ?

As you are well aware , I only keep enough ammo to load my guns once.

I only have 3 primers and a half pound of powder too.

What is the real deal ? This guy was absolutely convinced he was right.

I only remember a failed bill that Feinstein and company tried to pass.

Travis F.

Here's a link to the NFPA guidelines on their website regarding storage of components: Hogdon

I did a yahoo search also and didn't come up with anything else. It doesn't mean it isn't there, just that my search was fruitless.

Wanna laugh/feel lucky?

Here in Italy we can legally have no more than 5 Kg of powder OR 1'000 loaded rounds, with any mix in between that will sum up to either 5Kg (about 12lbs) of powder or 1'000 loaded rounds.

And no f@#§*%g legislator bothered to think that 1'000 rounds will hold much less powder than 5Kg, thus if you have say 4Kg of powder and 200 rounds youstill don't know if you're legal or not... :wacko:

No limit on primers ... pheeeww <_<

In France there is a 2 kilos/person limit.

It includes the powder inside the reloaded ammo.

Primer is not an issue, but we are allowed to purchase 1000 rds of factory ammo per year and per firearm .

The sale of cases requires you to show your paperwork, unless the vendor knows you and knows you're clean, same stuff for bullets !

Except Great Britain, and maybe another few countries, we should have the dumbest gun regulation laws on earth :wacko:

And to think, some morons over here in the US want us to move in your direction in terms of regs.

Next thing you know, people are going to have to register chewing gum... it's a menace, doncha know?!

There are no US Federal regulations of quantities a private citizen may possess or have in storage. Any regs or guidelines pertain to shipping/transport.

Mr. Schwab is correct, though. Some states and localities have regulations based on their fire codes.

Loaded ammunition and primed cases are not regulated the same way as propellants and loose primers.

but we are allowed to purchase 1000 rds of factory ammo per year and per firearm.

good grief :( . i guess if you compete a lot...you'll just need a lot of guns :D !

Wanna laugh even more?

In Italy, if you don't use a common (legal) trick to lawfully stock a maximum of 1'000 rounds in total (and not per firearm), you're limited to a maximum of 200.

Now some moron at the Home Department decided that, since our CCW is valid for 5 years (with yearly renewal), you're entitled to buy no more than 50 rounds PER YEAR (and he's probably calculations-illitterate too)!!!! :angry:

Glad we are allowed to reload... <_<

Hope it doesn't go this way in the US.

We are allowed 2.4kg powder total and no black powder at all, but not current limit on primers and ammo...

In South Africa it reads 2.4kg powder and a maximum of 200 rounds per licence with maximum of 4 licences unless special conditions apply....

Here we get closer to the 150round max competitions :angry:

"In France there is a 2 kilos/person limit."

I strictly follow the laws so if I lived in France, I guese I'd only have 2 kilos but

-my wife would have 2 kilos

-kids: 2 kilos each

-granny: 2 kilos

-dog: 2 kilos

-cat: maybe 1.5 kilo

Seriously, sorry to hear of such ridiculous laws. When I lived in the People's Republic of Maryland, there was a 4 lb law but I understand that law was revoked, so Marylanders can now possess 8 lb (about 3.6 kilos) kegs, (in the US, powder is often sold 8 lbs at a time).

C.

I wonder if some of the local and state regs are affected by method and location of storage. For instance, if you have a secured shed or garage that is not joined to your residence, would it make a difference as to how much you can store? Logically, it should, but then we know that you can't confuse most laws with logic.

It's ironic that some places will limit propellant storage, but not have anything in their codes about kerosene space heaters.

The Fire Codes in many municipalities follow the US Code, which sets limits on amount. Up to a certain amount in factory original containers, then above that, you have to have a wooden cabinet with one-inch walls to store set amounts, up to a larger amount that requires a separate building.

The idea is to a) limit the flammable material so you don't set fire to the whole block, and B) not use a tight container (no safe!!!) to contain combustion until the container bursts. I.e., no explosions.

Unlike a lot of regulations, the Fire Code (if not d**ked with by the local anti-gunners) is very rational, and only intended to add to safety in the event of a fire. My Fire Chief just wanted to know two things: Where in the house was the flammable stuff, and did I keep a fire extinguisher on hand?

You're right Carlos.

The law says that each person under a same roof can hold up to 2 kilos.

So that means if you have 4 persons under the same roof, you can have 8 kilos, I'm not sure about pets ;)

But there is more : Gunsmiths are not allowed to stock more than 20 kilos at the same time (all powders mixed), even if he got several storage places.

Transporters can not ship more than 20 kilos at a time and appointed transporters are rare.

I know few shooters who are sponsored and stock up to 18 kilos of powder, but I've never told you anything, you never saw me, and you never knew me ;)

But think about countries were reloading is illegal : Israel, Greece are the two first that comes to my mind.

So that means if you have 4 persons under the same roof, you can have 8 kilos, I'm not sure about pets  ;)

If my cats knew they weren't people, they'd die from the shock of finding out.

But think about countries were reloading is illegal : Israel, Greece are the two first that comes to my mind.

That might explain Saul's emigration.

Another way around many of the US Local fire codes is to reload or at least store supplies in a "structure not intended for habitation" otherwise known as a shed, work building, etc. But in reality, unless you have a fire or explosion, or are a business, there are no inspections in most places.

And the reason the laws are passed ...

In 2003, a fairly well know regional gunsmith (largely concentrates on the SASS market) left his shop to go into the house. About the time he reached the door, the shop exploded leaving a massive crater and killing his father who was in the shop.

In the ensuing BATF investigation it was determined that they had been using an old safe for powder storage (both smokeless and black). The rifle his father had been working on is thought to have delivered to the shop loaded and to have fired (a fired casing was found in the remains of the chamber). The investigators think the round peirced the safe and detonated some powder which in turn detonated the rest of the powder. Since the powder was stored in a safe, it held the pressure and let it build until the safe failed creating a massive bomb. Had they been using a simple sheet metal cabinet or open shelves this could have resulted in a very different (and maybe much better) outcome.

Here amount was not the major issue, but storage method was. So regardless of what you can keep, think about how you keep it as well. One suggestion I have seen for a poor man's powder safe is to find and old magnetic door refrig, strip out the non-working refrigeration units. If something where to blow, the magnetic release on the door would fail not allowing the pressure to build.

I have a big red publication from [edited]

No national info in there...plenty of state and city crap.

Heck the city of Toledo, OH takes up about 5 pages (3 columns, small type)...the STATE of Wyoming barely covers two-thirds of a page.

Edited by Flexmoney

i can see one bad thing coming from us having more powder than allowed. lets say your house was to catch fire, heaven forbid, when the insurance agents finds out you had more powder than allowed, they could and probably would not settle your claim.

just my 2 cents.

My guess is that we're lucky in the Netherlands,

per adress: 3 kg (6 lbs.) nitro/smokeless powder

10.000 rounds or a combination with primers (f.i. 7000 rounds-3000 primers)

Storage: in a safe

But a restiction when you drive to you home-range (another law) 2000 rounds per car. Transport: smokeless powder: 1 kg (2 lbs.) per car.

Cases, bullets are free, but to keep 'm you'll need a permit.