Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor removal/cleaning frequency...

justaute

I noticed that I was having trouble getting the gun to smoothly chamber the barney round. Not long after that I started having exctration issues. I gave the gun a thorough cleaning, changed the extrator spring and all the issues went away, so if I ever have trouble getting the barney round to chamber I'll take that as a sign that I've gone too long between cleanings.

Personally I pull the extractor completely out about every 5000 rounds and clean it thoroughly. However, I have a set of dental picks and clean out behind the extractor about every other time I shoot it. Takes a minute or two, and just helps make sure you don't have any issues.

FWIW, Walmart sells a cheap dental pick set, but they are plastic and will eventually break. Mine did.

What I did was the last time at the dentist, I asked my hygienist if they ever throw away the picks they use. Sure enough, they do. So after one last autoclave cleaning, she gave me a complete set. They will last a life time!

Yup, 5k is recommended per Angus. I'm of the if it ain't broke don't fix it school. I've gone over 10k without disassembling the extractor because the gun was running (I ended up cleaning it when broke slide down to send it out for refinishing).

I just cleaned mine. It's been about 5k rounds. I noticed the gun's ejection pattern was getting a bit erratic in that it would go from 3-6 ft; also, when I manually eject, the round just seems to barely drivel from the gun. After the cleaning today, my initial manual ejections seemed more "lively" and higher.

whenever my gun stops working. for me it was once. :cheers:

but seriously, you need to know your gear. how dirty does the gun run? i would take a look at the gunk elsewhere in your gun. if gunk builds up behind hte extractor hook, it can slip off the brass and fail to extract. if it builds in the channel, it'll weaken the grip on the rim. at the most extreme, it would bind and not go into battery (similar to when you drop in an extractor spring that binds).

just for kicks, here's my thread from when i cleaned the gun feb 25th...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146990&st=0

I think the powder you use has a big impact on how frequently you need to clean your gun. Since I quit reloading and started shooting AA&A, I have to clean my guns more frequently. I don't know what they use, but it is dirty and leaves more unburnt powder than when I reloaded with WST.

I clean my gun before every match. My philosophy is that the gun will always run when it's clean. It's possible it will not if it's dirty. So why take the chance? I've got my cleaning procedure down to approx 5 minutes, so ti's not a big deal.

Actually, my current cleaning regimen wins. At the end of the match, I drop my gun into a gun bag. The sides of the bag wipe it as the falls inside. No more than a split second! :cheers:

....you didn't invent that cleaning technique I've been using it for years lol....then again I didn't build that.

• 2 months later...