Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X-5 mag release too long and causing problems

JGus

I shoot a Sig P226 X-5 Competition .40s&w SA only model in Limited. Every time I run a stage where I have to shoot weak hand (my left hand), I am constantly dumping the mag as the base of my trigger finger is right on the mag release button. It seems like it always happens while shooting a classifier, too. I've tried playing with my grip, but there is just no way for my hand not to cover the mag release. As anyone with an X-5 knows, the competition mag release sticks way out. And I understand why Sig designed it that way, as it's conducive for "running and gunning."

I've been communicating with another member of this forum who also shoots an X-5 Competition model and was also having problems with hitting the extended mag release and dumping mags. So, he swapped out the X-5 extended mag release with a standard P226 mag release. He said it made all the difference and hasn't had any mag dumps since the swap.

Well, I followed his lead and ordered a standard P226 mag release from Midway USA for a few bucks, took me less than a minute to swap it out, and it makes all the difference in the world! I have no problem accessing the standard size mag release vs the competition sized extended mag release. When shooting weak hand my weak hand still covers the mag release, but it's no longer an issue because the plastic grips have enough width where the base of my trigger finger goes right over the top of the mag release, barely making contact with it. I haven't tried it yet in competition but after running through several practice mag changes and weak hand dry firing, I'm very confident the problem has been solved.

I am having a similar problem with my new limited gun.

It has a threaded STI mag catch, and Dawson button. Ocasionally, when I'm drawing, my weak hand palm hits the release, and drops the mag.

Its pretty frustrating.

I do have giant hands, but I NEVER had this problem with my single stack, and it had a large Ed Brown mag button. I THINK the problem is that the Dawson ICE magwell forces my hands up to high (can barely get my hand between beaver tail and magwell) and is causing my weak hand palm ( right below my thumb ) to hit the button.

I'm going to order a Dawson Big Hands Ice and see if it helps.

If you can find one, Bruce Gray and GGI made an intermediate mag release that is the perfect point inbetween the undersized stock piece, and the oversized competition piece. It took me a while to find one, but I was finally able to find one for my P226 TacOps, and I love it.

If you can convince Bruce to make a run of them again, you'll be very happy you did. (Oh, and I need another one!) But right now, they are out of stock and not available anywhere NIB.

If you can find one, Bruce Gray and GGI made an intermediate mag release that is the perfect point inbetween the undersized stock piece, and the oversized competition piece. It took me a while to find one, but I was finally able to find one for my P226 TacOps, and I love it.

If you can convince Bruce to make a run of them again, you'll be very happy you did. (Oh, and I need another one!) But right now, they are out of stock and not available anywhere NIB.

The person who gave me the idea to swap out the extended competition mag release with a standard mag release also suggested the first choice should be the GGI intermediate mag release, but he couldn't find one. I also would have got that version of the mag release, but searched all over the internet and couldn't find one either.

If someone has one they want to sell, I'm definitely interested!

Glad to read that others have had this issue...thought it was only ME. I'm having the same issue with an X-5 comp. Dropped mags in the sand yesterday 4 or 5 times.

I'll drop an e mail to GGI asking for a pair of the mid length mag releases. Maybe if theres a real groundswell of interest they will get going on the project.

XMHP

Is the standard mag release on the P-226 reversible? I use my index finger on my M&P's, and would like to do the same on my 226. Thanks.

Yes it is. Just be careful to disassemble/assemble in the correct order so you don't have to drill out your catch. There have been a lot of broken frames from doing this.

Ran my first Limited match with the standard P226 mag release installed on my X-5 Competition model. It definitely works better for me than the very extended mag release I swapped out. However, it could stand to be just slightly longer. I think the Grays Guns model, which from my understanding is longer than the standard P226 mag release, and just shorter than the extended X-5 mag release, would be the most ideal.

I emailed GGI. I know have five P226's of various models and would buy five of the GGI P226 mag release when they become available again. I'd put it on all of them.

Ran my first Limited match with the standard P226 mag release installed on my X-5 Competition model. It definitely works better for me than the very extended mag release I swapped out. However, it could stand to be just slightly longer. I think the Grays Guns model, which from my understanding is longer than the standard P226 mag release, and just shorter than the extended X-5 mag release, would be the most ideal.

I emailed GGI. I know have five P226's of various models and would buy five of the GGI P226 mag release when they become available again. I'd put it on all of them.

I have a couple of the GGI extended magazine releases and IIRC it is 1mm longer than factory. I'm in the middle of a safe swap so my collection is a wreck.

• 1 month later...

One more note about the Intermediate Mag Releases. I purchased a new Blade Tech holster, and found out that the holster and the mag release did not play nice together...

During practice, I kept dropping the magazine out of gun during my draw with the new holster. I had no idea why. Maybe I was not inserting the mag fully? Maybe I was hitting the new longer release? After a few experiements, I found out that the mag release was being depressed by the holster when it was inserted. The magazine would slip out just enough to be past the mag release during the draw, and then when the gun was upright, the magazine fell the rest of the way out. I'm sure a little dremel time with the holster right in that one area should resolve the problem.

Just wanted to pass on this experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered on my X5 L1 that when you start from a tabletop.. just the weight of the pistol will release the mag. I have been thinking all along it was me pushing down on the X5 when I picked it up. Tried rolling it up and the mag still fell out. Time to shorten it a tad!

Discovered on my X5 L1 that when you start from a tabletop.. just the weight of the pistol will release the mag. I have been thinking all along it was me pushing down on the X5 when I picked it up. Tried rolling it up and the mag still fell out. Time to shorten it a tad!

Putting on a standard sized mag release has made all the difference for me. I would regularly drop a mag from the extended length of the competition sized mag release. Haven't done it a single time since I swapped them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I dont have the one I want yet but I was fondleing a 226 competition and immediatly it stood out the release was longer than I wanted. What is a source of a color match standard size mag relase for the black color? Brownells lists a blue one but Im not sure if that is the correct color or part. Trying to get my ducks all in a row on this one. I will be using a bladetech DOH ICE holster and was wondering the same thing about it being a problem.

If even the GGI Intermediate Mag Release is triggered by the Bladetech DOH holster (see my post #13 above), then I'm sure the X5 release will have issues with it too. But it's nothing a sanding drum can't make very quick work of.

I dont have the one I want yet but I was fondleing a 226 competition and immediatly it stood out the release was longer than I wanted. What is a source of a color match standard size mag relase for the black color? Brownells lists a blue one but Im not sure if that is the correct color or part. Trying to get my ducks all in a row on this one. I will be using a bladetech DOH ICE holster and was wondering the same thing about it being a problem.

"Blue" and "Nickel" are really your only two options, so I wouldn't worry about color-matching. Either the Brownell's or this one from Top Gun Supply would be fine:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-magazine-catch_p226_p228_p229-blue.html

As far as the Black Ice holster, this isn't the best picture to illustrate it, but here's my Allround in a Black Ice. The mag release is hidden behind the slide catch lever, but you can see that the holster stops below the release, so I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNTAyLTAwMjY1LmpwZw_zps

Edited by JAFO