Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 38 special?

carbonman556

• 3 weeks later...

3.5 to 4 grains of win 231 works for me with 158 gr JHP. It is one of my favorites for 38 special and a bunch of other calibers for mild target loads. If I could only have one pistol powder, 231 would be it.

Universal and Unique don't work so well for me at 38 special pressures. Bullseye will work fine too if you want something different. 2.8 to 3 grains of Clays works good with 158 LSWC.

-John

WW231 works for me. Curious why the plated bullet? Most of us get no leading with simple cast bullets.

Are you trying to make minor for USPSA or ?

Minor for IDPA...I guess I'm just used to buying plated for 9 and 40. The plated stuff looks nice and seem like it would be cleaner??? Never worked with cast...

IDPA SSR only requires a 105 PF (158 @ 675 fps makes it). You can do that easily with 231. But, the more experienced IDPA SSR shooters stay with a PF around 115-120. That's to make sure that when they hit steel it goes down, which is very important if that steel is activating a mover... which is becoming very common in IDPA. If you have counted your rounds and know you have enough for the steel and the mover, and the steel doesn't go down when hit... and you have to fire extra rounds at it... then your stage plan is up in smoke.

A 158 grain velocity of 735 - 745 fps is ideal. Soft recoil and handles steel very well. With a plated bullet you can do that easily with a 158 grain bullet at standard (not +P) pressures with 231. For what you want, I think 231 is the ideal powder.

If you have a chronograph available, start with 4.0 grains 231 (or HP38... same powder, just a different can/label) and see where you are. Plated bullets will be cleaner than cast, and you should be good to go.

Anybody shooting a 125gr load? I'm looking for a j-frame plinker load.

Clays or 231 will work. Start with 2.8 Clays or 3.7 231 and see if you're getting what you want. Both are safe, well below max, loads.

Anyone wory about OAL with 38 special?

I have fiddled a bit with OAL, and it's not terribly picky. Remember, lots of people shoot .38 special out of .357 mag chambers. Trimmed or shorter cases can work as well. An old PPC shooter told me that they would build PPC guns on .38 special frames to minimize the jump the bullet made from the case to cylinder throats, and that they would load the rounds long for the same reason. I tried that and found with lead I would get buildup that prevented the cartridges from fully chambering. So I backed it off a few thousandths, and haven't had to mess with it. If you are shooting lead sometimes the crimp groves will suggest where to seat the bullet.