Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl650...sit or stand

I know most stand while reloading. Well, i have a crappy back and was wondering if anyone has set up the press to be used while sitting?

I sit. The bench was built at that height as a recommendation from a gentleman that had been reloading a lot longer.

HH

I know most stand while reloading. Well, i have a crappy back and was wondering if anyone has set up the press to be used while sitting?

I sit. The bench was built at that height as a recommendation from a gentleman that had been reloading a lot longer.

HH

Could you please share the height of the bench to us?

I was wondering, when you stand you have a bit of free range of motion it seems, but sitting you may have to pivot or reach more. Im thinking maybe a stool so you can kinda sit but more upright. Anyone have a pic of thier bench setup for sitting?

Press is still in the box. I was thinking of bolting a shelf to the wall( foundation with anchor bolts). How much throw does the handle have? If im sitting and put handle through the range of movement, would your body twist much ir could you operate the handle and still be close enough to load the bullets into the case?

I used to sit with the 550. The new 650 on a strong mount on the new bench I have to stand so I can see the powder in the case before the bullet is placed.

I prefer standing. With the 650, case and bullet feeders I get through a hundred rounds pretty quickly so there is the time to move around, reload primers, empty the bullet bin so my back doesn't get stiff.

while I would prefer to stand, the motion required to run the press aggravates my disk/impinged nerve issue in my neck and back. I set the press up without a strong mount so the top of the bench would be above knee level. I chose the most comfortable desk chair with wheels I could find because you will need to move side to side a bit now and then. Once you pick your chair, set the bench height with the press handle knob at shoulder height like normal (i think mine came out at 32").

I always sat in an office chair to load on my Lee presses, but now that I have the 550 on a strong mount, I am using a "Sears Craftsman" brand bar stool with backrest. I'm pretty tall so standing would only work if the bench was another 4"+ taller.

Joking aside...I have my bench at 39 inchs and this works for me, standing with the strong mount.

I plan to pick up the Craftsman shop stool (adjustable with back) next time they are on sale...sometimes I would like to sit.

Fred

Joking aside...I have my bench at 39 inchs and this works for me, standing with the strong mount.

"I plan to pick up the Craftsman shop stool (adjustable with back) next time they are on sale...sometimes I would like to sit."

Be careful. Before you mentioned this stool, I looked it up and the reviews do not seem to be very good. I am going to pass on it. Currently I saw a stool at Target that seemed OK, but I have not been able to find any reviews on it. Also, I can't seem to find it in the online catalog.

Here is the link for Sears

http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-Hydraulic-Stool-reviews?tab=reviews

Edited by mjohn

I sit on a stool so I have range of motion and built everything to be comfortable doing so. I use a LNL, 650 and 1050 all in a line on a bench mounted to the wall. I stood for a long time and just didn't think I would be comfortable sitting but never tried it.

I sit because I have problems with my feet. I think my bench right now is at ~30" give or take. I have a LCT right now, but am getting a 650 when I can. I can't imagine there would be an issue, so I'll continue to sit. If you get the strong mount, I would probably also get the powder-check. Depending on the height of the bench/chair, it might be difficult to manually check the powder in each case. Someone else might be able to verify this?

Edited by polizei1