Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome or Ionbond DLC?

HHPD56

I'm trying to decide what finish would be best for my STI Tactical... Hard Chrome or IonBond DLC? The pistol is used hard daily and is consistently exposed to the elements, ranging from snow to heat & humidity. I guess my question is does either offer advantages over the other and if so what's more advantageous for hard use? Thanks in advance

I've had guns with both finishes. The Ionbond looked good and was almost scratch proof. The problem comes with rust. Even with the nice climate here in SoCal, the gun constantly had to be wiped down. I don't know if this was normal or not. The finish was applied by a well known gunsmith/shop. I never had any issues with hard chrome. I ordered a STI Tactical with a hard chrome finish as well. Should be here in November.

On the hardness scale, they are similar but Ionbond is a little higher I believe. However, with mine, I have noticed holster wear with the Ionbond and none with the chrome pistols I have. I have not put either of them through really tough wear-and-tear but I am sure the chrome would do better. Also, on this topic, I have carried Glocks and various stainless pistols on an every day status and carried the Glock through just about everything and it was one on the only ones that stood out. So I am a believer in the Tennifer/Melonite finished but this is a case hardening process, not just a finish.

I really like the H/C but I got a Cameron's that had the isonite finish. It has got to be the tuffest coating I have ever messed with. 7000 plus rounds and the barrel is still mat black, it has some wear, it is still on the barrel after 7000 rounds! Very solid coating. :surprise:

This is what I recall. Hard Chrome is around 1000 on the RC hardness scale. Ionbond is around 2000. However, hard chrome may make a better seal around the surface metal than DLC coatings....

Rockwell-C scale tops out at 100 which is the harness of diamond. None of the coatings are as hard as diamond. Something in the 60-70 range would be very hard for a coating!

Mike

This is what I recall. Hard Chrome is around 1000 on the RC hardness scale. Ionbond is around 2000. However, hard chrome may make a better seal around the surface metal than DLC coatings....

Rockwell-C scale tops out at 100 which is the harness of diamond. None of the coatings are as hard as diamond. Something in the 60-70 range would be very hard for a coating!

Mike

My bad on which scale it was, I really don't remember. However, the numbers are correct.

Mike

My bad on which scale it was, I really don't remember. However, the numbers are correct.

Wow that's 1000 more it must be good. :blink:

Mike

Wow that's 1000 more it must be good. :blink:

Sorry it was the microhardness of the coating. TiN is 2300, DLC is 2000 and the new coating on my 9mm Sight Tracker is 1500.

Edited by SV-COP

I have had both...and while I have not had rust isses (yet) with the Ionbond, I prefer Hard chrome. If you NEED to have a dark finish on your pistol, Ionbond is probably better than anything else...if not, then very few finishes beat hard chrome. I have a buddy that carried a SIG 228 for 20 years (on his vest! no less) and swears by Robar NP3, but I have no personal experience with it.

• 3 months later...