Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Shooters - Which hand reloads?

Weak hand reload, cause it's superfast!

Grab the full mag w/ your weakhand, thumb along the back spline of the mag. Stick the thumb out perpendicular to the mag. When you bring the new mag up to the rifle, use your thumb to activate the mag release. Push through the mag release and against the back spline of the empty mag, clearing it from the rifle. This puts the new mag at the proper angle to be inserted into the rifle. Rock, Lock, and if needed, reach over the top of the receiver to give the op rod a short tug to send the bolt home.

Properly executed, I think the speed of reloading rivals the AR. Of course, you still have to do it every 20 rounds, not 30, 48, or 60.

right hand with stacked mags

old fart, hasn't competed in HM for 10 months, stepped out in back yard, shot to shot 2.34. (time flies when you're having fun!)

Old fart that has a lot of experience!

:cheers:

You are right about that, Bryan. I have seen Michael make some slick reloads with his M1A!

Hurley

Grab the full mag w/ your weakhand, thumb along the back spline of the mag. Stick the thumb out perpendicular to the mag. When you bring the new mag up to the rifle, use your thumb to activate the mag release. Push through the mag release and against the back spline of the empty mag, clearing it from the rifle. This puts the new mag at the proper angle to be inserted into the rifle. Rock, Lock, and if needed, reach over the top of the receiver to give the op rod a short tug to send the bolt home.

Properly executed, I think the speed of reloading rivals the AR. Of course, you still have to do it every 20 rounds, not 30, 48, or 60.

Yeah, that. The weak hand reload Bryan described is by far the best way to go, IMO. The biggest difference in reloading between the HM shooter and the rest is that most folks shooting AR's will rarely have to reload on the clock. Us HM shooters will run dry on a lot more of the stages.

I use my right (strong) hand. The Army tought me to use my right hand, then 30 years of shooting High Power Rifle reinforced the strong side reload. When I'm shooting HM I oft times am in a sling anyway so I still use the strong side hand.

Yeah, that. The weak hand reload Bryan described is by far the best way to go, IMO. The biggest difference in reloading between the HM shooter and the rest is that most folks shooting AR's will rarely have to reload on the clock. Us HM shooters will run dry on a lot more of the stages.

I've been shooting my M1 Garand (yay LaRue WWII Division!), so running dry for me usually happens several times per stage.

That also means I'm more accustomed to RH reloads, as well.

I use my right (strong) hand. The Army tought me to use my right hand, then 30 years of shooting High Power Rifle reinforced the strong side reload. When I'm shooting HM I oft times am in a sling anyway so I still use the strong side hand.

Highpower got me in the habit of strong hand reloads.

I can do weak hand reloads in practice, but I always screw them up on the clock.

• 4 months later...

All support hand if I can help it.

Pistol: support hand

AR: support hand

Shotgun: support hand (slugs are done with shooting hand just to prevent any mix up in a match)

M1A: support hand

Hunting rifle: support hand (old savage 110 dl left handed bolt)

Lucky for me having such a continuity of motion

I like to hold the magazine in my left hand freeing up my right hand to get the bullets out of the box and put them into the magazine. It helps a lot if the magazine is sitting on a table or tailgate. I don't see how you guys can do that with holding your rifle and all. You guys must be real salty!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a right eye dominant so I grew up shooting from my right shoulder. But I'm left handed, everything else like writing, throwing a ball, etc is done left handed.

So I reload mags, or shotshells with my left hand. So technically I'm strong hand reloading with my left hand.

It would feel awkward changing mags on my M1A with my right hand.

Edited by Willz

I assume he hit the mag release with his thumb? I'd love to see a short video of that.

If you go the Samson Mfg FB page and find videos. There is one that is 1:33 long of Mr. Ray shooting a satge at Ozarks a couple of years ago. Toward the end there is a M1A reload in a crouched position that is pretty darn quick.

Sorry, I do not know how to link to it.