Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS Questions

ohsevenflhx

I have been shooting 40 s&w major 170pf using a 14lb recoil spring, and no buffer. It is running flawlessly now. I used to get jams, fail to feed, when I was using the buffer. The brass also would eject in front on me using the buffer. Now the brass ejects rearward like most pistols I have shot. Am I causing damage to my TS by not using the buffer. Do I want to look into one of the recoil management type setups?

My TS had a nosedive round in each stage of my first match with it; I've been going crazy trying to figure it out: polished the feed ramp, polished the breech face, still nose divin'. I've been getting pretty pissed that my $400 clones eat up anything I feed them yet my $1,200 TS is jamming!!! I never thought of the buffer; I guess it's time to shit can that little piece of plastic.

Thanks burningsquirrels. Does anyone know if USPSA is going to allow thumbrests, or gaspedals in Limited in 2013? Do they help?

Edited by kneelingatlas

The buffers included with the TS are just useless. I don't know what they must be doing at the factory to justify the cost of putting them in with the gun. Maybe they work with the S&B they use for function testing? For those guys who buy brand new, is one already installed on the gun out of box?

Middle Man and ohsevenflhx what differences have you noticed with the stainless guide rod over the stumpy plastic one?

burningsquirrels I bought my TS new and it did not come with the buffer installed, but a note which said to use it on the .40.

Have any of you tried a Sprinco guide rod? What do you think?

Middle Man and ohsevenflhx what differences have you noticed with the stainless guide rod over the stumpy plastic one?

burningsquirrels I bought my TS new and it did not come with the buffer installed, but a note which said to use it on the .40.

I purchased my TS used from a private seller on the USPSA site. It was advertised as under 1000 rounds. The buffer, and the nail head part of the factory plastic guide rod looked pretty beat up. So I just purchased a steel guide rod to avoid future costs. I don't know if you will "feel" any difference between a plastic or steel rod. I now have several thousand rounds using the steel guide rod, which is showing no wear.

I run the steel guide rod but honestly it is largely because I just hated the way the plastic one looked after any use. Still perfectly functional mind you, but just looked horrible. You certainly don't need the steel GR to add weight out on the front of a TS! LOL.

Ditch the buffer. Once I got rid of mine, the feeding problems went away. I spoke with two different smiths at CZ Custom. Both recommended removing the buffer. I would buy the steel guide rod, though, as the slide beat the factory plastic rod up pretty good on mine.

After running the factory buffer for a few months and seeing how chewed up the thing got, I decided to ditch it as a matter of principle. I could envision too many problems with bits of plastic floating around inside the pistol.

I experienced random failures (one here and there, nothing consistent) to feed with the original factory plastic guide rod. After running through my magazines to find a potential source for the problem and polishing the barrel ramp, I changed the guide rod out and the random failures to feed disappeared.

The plain-jane steel guide rod and springs from CZ Custom is the simplest solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, looks like I made a good choice when I just thought it was for aesthetics!

I've shot about 500 rounds through my brand new TS and have finally dumped the buffer; I figured CZ must know better than I do, so I've tried everything else I could think of (polishing the feed ramp and breech face, new mags, Slide Guide), but at my second match last night after three FTFs in my first stage I had had enough, so out came the buff, most likely never to return!

PS: what recoil spring weight are you guys running in your .40 TS? my friend was watching me shoot and said my brass was hitting the wall 20' away from me! This would be a sign I could benefit from a heavier spring weight right? It seems like a heavier spring would help ensure the round goes all the way into the chamber, but the risk of over springing is muzzle dip right? Do you find your gun shoots smoother with heavier springs or lighter ones?

Thanks for helping the new guy.

• 2 months later...

I put a Springco in mine before I fired the 1st shot. I've never had and issue and can not say enough good things about Springco. I now have them in all my competition guns. Allen Druger (Springco owner I think), is usually available by phone and will help you with special spring rates if you wish. Amazing product! I just wish they were cheaper. It does lessen the felt recoil as well and in my opinion improves performance.