Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC scopes

Julien Boit

Hi all,

I'm thinking more and more about starting shooting Rifles in competition.

In the chase for an optic, I found the Burris MTAC line of scopes.

it's a 1-4 x 24 with illuminated reticle.

Anyone knows this scope and have first hand experience ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Julien Boit

It's a solid, effective and high value scope. If you are on a budget the Mtac is a really good way to go. And I have shooting buddies, who started with the Mtac with the intention to upgrade later, only to find that the Mtac was good enough to get the job done and couldn't justify any additional expense.

If you want to spend $1k or more, there are a few options out there that may be a little better than the MTAC. I think the MTAC is the clear winner in the under $1K, 1-4x scope market. I know a few Z6 owners that like them too, even one who sold the Z6 and got 2 1-4MTACs, one for the competition rifle and one for the Nordic .22RF upper. I've run one on my competition rifle for over a dozen major matches now and it has been flawless.

Don't think you can beat it for the price (or a few hundred more), would love a Leupold 1-6x but the 1-4 gets the job done and I love the Burris. Stick a Switchview on it and a good mount and you are still way below the scope only price for others.

Edited by Tim/GA

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I might give it a try. There is a combo featuring the scope, the small red dot fast fire and the mount for a fair price.

I'm still wondering if I go to the scope only option on the rifle, or if I get the scope and an additional sight.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I might give it a try. There is a combo featuring the scope, the small red dot fast fire and the mount for a fair price.

I'm still wondering if I go to the scope only option on the rifle, or if I get the scope and an additional sight.

two sets of optics will put you in a different class. Personally I think the fastfire on teh mtac is overkill. You could get some side mount flp ups for close range stuff.

two sets of optics will put you in a different class. Personally I think the fastfire on teh mtac is overkill. You could get some side mount flp ups for close range stuff.

I'm shooting under IPSC rules, so an optic will put me in open anyway.

My plan was to put the fast fire on a mount on the handguard for close range stuff.

Julien, I took the advice from MarkCO and purchased a MTAC 1-4x . I am very pleased with the scope . I recommend getting a solid mount (warne, JP, Larue ) .

I had the WARNE mount in mind because of the ability to put a small red dot on the side of it.

I must figure if it would conflict with a switchview lever.