Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite 124 gr production load

Jody Waring

Anyone found a powder that makes a fairly soft shooting load with a 124? I am looking at switching from titegroup which I find very snappy. A slower powder perhaps? Ammo will be for Production in CZ-75's, 85, and Shadow. Thanks for the tips!

For 124's it seems to be that N320 is the ticket. Lots of positive feedback for 147's, they do shoot much softer, I find that my Shadow isn't as reliable as I get stovepipes etc,... And realistically upping the power factor with 147's defeats the purpose I think. I shoot under IPSC rules so just switching out to lighter springs isn't really an option as the rules only allow OEM, so that stinks. I thought I heard of someone using 7625, has anyone here tried it in 9mm?

While N320 is a solid powder, I have not found it to be very different in recoil impulse (especially in my Shadow). Creating two virtually identical PF loads using Titegroup and N320, it is tough to tell the difference. If you are unhappy with the handling of Titegroup and 124s, I agree with the others that you would be better served to look into creating a reliable load with 147s.

Lots of positive feedback for 147's, they do shoot much softer, I find that my Shadow isn't as reliable as I get stovepipes etc

I don't mean to beat it to death, but stovepipes with 147's might disappear with just

a few extra fps; If not, you might compromise and try 135's (any bullet between 124 and

147), or a different shape 147. :cheers:

Jody, try Clays (not Universal Clays). It's quite softer. It may not measure as well as TG in your powder drop as flakes are large.

A buddy of mine says it's almost too soft (for him), he likes my Univ. Clays recipe better.

Good to see you back :)

I started shooting TG and it was indeed snappy and smokey with 124gr Moly bullets. I tried some different powders, Solo, WSF, Clays, Universal. I settled on Solo 1000. It's been said that it's inconsistent lot to lot, but once I knew I wanted to use it, I ordered 2 8lb jugs of the same lot and even using 4.6gr it should last a while. The Solo was less smokey and super soft. WSF was about the same smoke wise, but was snappier, I never got a clays load that made PF and I liked, it didn't seem to be right for 9mm, and Universal Clays was ok, but again not as soft as Solo.

I load 124gr Bear Creek RN Moly bullets at 1.135 OAL in mixed brass using Winchester SP primers and 4.6gr of Solo1000. I think this is a slow lot and I needed a little more powder than normal. This load gives 1040ish fps for 128pf at sea level about 65 degrees F. I can bump the load for travel since it's inversely temp sensitive or lower it for the recent GSSF match. This load is 1gr above the listed max, but it's also a lot longer OAL. Start low and work up, especially since your lot may be different.

Granted I'm shooting SS (no difference really), but I'm using PD 124gr's over 4.5gr of Win 231 @ 1.140" and it makes 135pf. Great load, but I'm going to switch next season to MG 124gr CMJ's and N320 and see if I can notice a difference.

I tried the 147's but I didn't like how "slow" they felt, and IMHO, the recoil was harder to control. I like the 124's the most, but you need to try both and see what works best for you.

My Production load s 4.6gr of IMR 7625 under a 124gr Zero or MG fmj or hp. This load runs around 134pf out of my G17s with excellent accuracy.

^^^+1 on this load. I sway back and forth between this one and 4.2 Grains of N320 with a 124 Grain Montana Gold CMJ. N320 seems a tad bit cleaner. IMR SR7625 may be a tad bit softer but maybe it was just my mood that day. JMHO.

My Production load s 4.6gr of IMR 7625 under a 124gr Zero or MG fmj or hp. This load runs around 134pf out of my G17s with excellent accuracy.

Herky, I am getting a 131ish PF out of my G17, consistently. Go figure? I wonder which way the temperature sensitivity curve goes in different temperatures?

Isn't titegroup one of the really fast powders?...which should result in minimal felt recoil?

What velocity are you getting with TG and 124gr?

I've loaded 124gr jacketed bullets with Universal and WST. Either one works fine, and (at around 1050-1100fps from a G17) is much less snappy than factory 115gr ammo.

But as mentioned, if you want the ultimate in soft, try some 147gr jacketed bullets with 3.4 (+- 0.1gr) Universal or around 3.8gr WST. The only problem with these is, you may have trouble making minor. Chrono them if/before it matters.

Titegroup yields a "snap" for a recoil impulse and I totally agree that 147 gr bullets do make a soft shooting load, but the light bullet offers crisper cycling of the gun which I like, but am just wondering if maybe a slightly slower powder might tame things down a little.

Herky, I am getting a 131ish PF out of my G17, consistently. Go figure? I wonder which way the temperature sensitivity curve goes in different temperatures?

Mine maybe closer to you than I realize, it has been awhile since it has been chroned. I really like the load and it has been very accurate.

I was just recently given some N320 to play with (Thanks Sarge!). Right now I'm using Precision Delta 124gr but I'm going to switch to MG 124gr CMJ's.

Right now my load is:

Precision Delta 124gr FMJ

Win 231 4.5gr

CCI SPP #500

Mixed Brass

OAL - 1.140"

This is an accurate, fairly soft shooting load. PF is right at 135.

Can you guys recommend me a load using MG's and N320? I would like to stay ~135pf to have some extra room. I keep seeing 3.8-4.2gr. What PF are you guys getting and at what OAL? Shooting a 5" 1911.

Edited by polizei1

I started with Titegroup behind 124-125 jhps, and switched to 320, which is cleaner, and softer.

I've been playing with AA#2, and it seems about as soft as 320, but, seems to leave what looks like sand behind. :surprise:

I used to use a lot of AA#2 a number of years ago. That residue is something in the filler of the recipe, and no idea of what it is. Looks like you sprinkled some media inside the gun after shooting. That's a great 9mm powder, but never see it for sale here locally.

I used to use a lot of AA#2 a number of years ago. That residue is something in the filler of the recipe, and no idea of what it is. Looks like you sprinkled some media inside the gun after shooting. That's a great 9mm powder, but never see it for sale here locally.

Nobody around here stocks it either, but, will add it to their order for us.