Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just can't give it up...

Ron Ankeny

Not that anyone probably cares, but yesterday I bought a 25-2 revolver (one of my favorite models of all time) for IPSC. Last year I sold all of my revolver stuff and I swore I would never shoot a revolver again. I hated the fact that revolver shooters are non-existant around here. It also seemed like the division was won or lost based solely on the reload, and mine suck. Long field courses seem like torture with all of those standing reloads. Shooting IPSC with a revolver just didn't seem like as much fun as shooting my Open blaster. Open is so fast and so intense. I now realize my two favorite divisions are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum, revolver and open (even though I probably shoot a single stack the best, lol).

I have come full circle. I now realize that shooting is all about following your own heart. What other people think about revolver shooters matters not. Being the only revolver shooter at a match matters not. Course design matters not, the standing reload is just a part of life.

Now that I am traveling about, I am running into more and more revolver shooters. Everytime I enter a match where there are wheelgunners, I feel like a traitor for shooting an Open blaster. I spend most of my time associating with the revolver shooters because we are kindred spirits.

I suppose the main reason for going back to revolver division is to see if I am really any good shooting against a warm body instead of just shooting against the classification system. I need to give these guys a chance to try to kick my butt. I hope they pack a lunch. Bring it.

Welcome back :D I took this year off from USPSA all together because of the distances in the field courses and my need to get my legs working better.

I still shoot IDPA but not with a lot of heart. To prove I could do it, I shot one IDPA major match with a revolver, one with a Glock, next with a revolver again, and soon to finish with a 1911.

I still prefer the revolver to any hand gun and if things keep progressing as they are right now, I will be back to USPSA in the spring (or maybe some winter indoor stuff) with a revolver.

Difference is, I never have and never will sell all my revolver stuff ;)

Regards,

Ron,

Welcome back from the dark side. :P

Beating flatgunners with a wheelgun is just so much fun. I do it more in IDPA than IPSC but it's all fun. :D

The only IPSC match I have shot this year is the Buckeye Blast. I am also signed up to shoot the Area 5. Shooting a 38 Super 686 in minor. :rolleyes:

Having fun is the best part about shooting. Just go out and run your front sight with no expectations. You will surprise yourself with your speed.

Good Luck,

Bill Nesbitt

Ron,

As a relatively new revolver shooter, I am really glad you have decided to return to our division. :P

I enjoy shooting both bottom feeders and the revolver and have enjoyed this year as much or more than the last 3 while shooting the Limited gun, Yes there is less people to shoot with (or against) I consider it shooting with other revolver shooters and trying to make the auto guys think that is easy.

Glad you are back among whom I think (the ones I have met) a darn good bunch of folks. :D

Sam Keen

I'm new to the revolver game, but I like what our club does. We usually have two monthly USPSA matches,,,,a Limited/Open match and a Factory gun match.

We usually run fewer stages on the factory gun weekend so everybody can shoot multiple divisions. We're a relatively small club,,,,,but we can have 7 to 9 wheelgunners for a club match when only 20 to 24 guys show up max.

Out of those 7 to 9,,,,there are 3 or 4 that are really good.....

For a new and relatively young pup,,,,it is a great place to learn the way of the wheelgun.

H4444

I have recently returned to the shooting games after an 8-9 year "retirement" and am having a great time shooting my wheelguns (including, by the way, my good old 25-2 which was my very first competition revolver). I have also introduced my 11-year-old son Sam to competitive handgun shooting by starting him out on a Model 10 (for IDPA and IPSC), and a 686+ (for steel). And we are particularly excited about shooting our iron-sighted wheelies at the Steel Challenge next week (our first time out there)!

Bill N.: I couldn't agree with you more when you point out how much fun it is to beat the flatgunners! OK, what the hell, I gotta brag a little: Ashland Lake July IDPA Results That's me in the bottom left photo, shooting my 646...apparently with my eyes closed...and that's me and Sam in the right pic. We were visiting the Ashland area (I was born and raised there) that weekend--nice range, great people, very active shooting club.

We have always had lots of really good revo shooters here in Iowa.

Even over the course of this summer, I think I have seen a revival of interest in the roundguns at the various matches, which I think is very cool.

Mike Carmoney

Flex:

I shot a Steel Challenge match last weekend in Colorado. Bud Bond was on my squad. He handed me my butt. :o BTW, I shot an Open gun against his wheelgun. Come to think of it, Bud even waxed those Open guys who have a GM on their card. ;)

Ron,

There are at least 5, and probably 6 wheelgunners going to the Michigan State match, and SEVERAL (at least a dozen) going to area 5. We have 6 of 'em in our club, and revolver is growing!!! Glad to see you back. I hope to see you at one of these matches. Personally, I like the idea of no "lost brass", and it is rather nostalgic to shoot them. :D

Jeff

Happy owner of two 5" 625's

Given my trigger control problems of late, I am considering shooting a wheelgun for a while. If you wanna talk slow, if I do this it will be with a stock four-inch S&W M686, a "Cyclone" holster (Bianchi or Galco) with a thumbsnap, and three different kinds of speedloaders.

It'll be great!

Ron I'll add by welcome back to revolver competition. BTW that 25-2 is one sweet pistol. I was a 1911 guy until this year. The revolver has brought a special interest to my competitions.

I have a question for you (and others) that shoot IDPA. I didn't see this question clearly defined in the IDPA rulebook. Can you have 3 speedloaders on your belt ( two forward & 1 behind the holster) AND have an extra speedloader to load the gun with? Basically asking if you can start the stage with 4 speedloaders?

RWMAGNUS

That is how several of the shooters around here do it, as long as when you start the stage you only have a total of three. B)

I have a fellow shooter that uses 2 Bladetec holders 1 in front and 1 in back and LMR with the back one. :rolleyes:

See some of ya'll at TN section, and then USPSA Nationals, won't make A-5 <_<

Hopalong / Sam Keen

Ron-

I have got to agree with you on the 25-2, I shot mine all winter and loved it. I have to admit that I cannot wait for my new limited gun, but I love shooting a wheelgun. I bet that if we all showed up at the same time, we could make up an entire revolver squad pretty easy. I'll be sure to pack my lunch, so while I am getting whooped I won't be hungry too!

rwmagnus

here is max what you can have to start a stage,

6 in gun, and 18 for the stage (3 reloads)

so if you have 4 holders on you, you must "top off" with one of the 4 leaving 3 and of them 2 in front and 1 in back.

Hope that helps. :)

HOPALONG