Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My M&P9

Art Yeo

[...]

(thought someone posted a pic of the 2 designs side by side but can't find it) The 2 SL barrels (unknown production) have the shorter looking chambers with the ring.

[...]

Here's a pic from Hilton Yam's article, just to facilitate the discussions per se. (NOTE: This is his pic).

M%2526P-Barrels-2.jpg

Edited by Art Yeo

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fortuantly I have not had any of the problems that you guys are experiencing on any of my M&P's. But if you are having so many problems, I would send it to Apex Tactical. Let Randy and his team work on it. While a lot of people say let S&W fix it, they won't go that extra step to make sure it is Perfect...Apex Tactical does take that extra step and will fix it up for you.

Edited by GlockCanMan

I'm kinda thinking along the same line. I have already spent $100 on the Apex Competition Kit.

Just spent another $175 on a KKM barrel and waiting for it to arrive.

... Soon, we're talking the price of a brand new Springfield XDM 5.25" Competition model ...

Fortuantly I have not had any of the problems that you guys are experiencing on any of my M&P's. But if you are having so many problems, I would send it to Apex Tactical. Let Randy and his team work on it. While a lot of people say let S&W fix it, they won't go that extra step to make sure it is Perfect...Apex Tactical does take that extra step and will fix it up for you.

Do you have evidence of one of these pattern M&Ps that Radny has made accurate long term? If so, I'd sure like to see it.

This is an interesting post as for the last several weeks I have been trying to get better than 6-8" accuracy from my MP9 Pro @ 25 yards to the point where I purchased a new KKM barrel.

I also installed the full Apex treatment and found that while the trigger weight increased by 1/2# with the OEM Pro sear as opposed to the Apex sear the noticeable and audible "click" on the initial first part of the trigger pull is absent and the overall feel is smother, although 1/2# heavier, with the OEM Pro sear. I spoke with Scott at Apex about his sent them video ext.... about this issue. They sent a replacement sear which is better but still present and we are working on it. It seems to have to do with the firing pin to sear, manufacturing surfaces of the Apex sear. The best overall trigger feel is with the OEM Pro sear and APEX comp parts, RAM, and USB. The Apex sear is good for another 1/2 pound off the trigger pull but then I have the click.

I have tried MG 124g CMJ and JHP, MG 147g, BB 124g, 135g and 147g, and Berries 124g HBRN, 147g

At 10 yards 124g's will shoot inside 2.5" circles consistantly.

124s MG loaded with VV 4.2-3g N320 shoot consistent 6-8" at 25 yards in multiple tests firing group of 16 rounds. 6" groups with 1 -2 flyers of 8". I have tried OAL's from 1.145 to 1.120 with no noticeable change.

MG 147g over 3.6g N320 produce 3" groups at 25 yards as does BB 147's. BB 135's shoot 4-5".

It is clear to me after several (20-25) 16 round tests that my stock and now new KKM barrels both prefer the heavier bullets with 147g being the best as is the KKM barrel.

I'm trying to get the lighter bullets to be under 6" so if anyone has any suggestions Im all ears.

Edited by Trident

The fact that the M&P9 prefers the 147gr bullet was also confirmed by Julie G. (the captain of the S&W competition team) in some previous threads at the pistol-forum website.

Also, what difference did the KKM barrel make? Did you do any before/after comparisons?

Edited by Art Yeo

The fact that the M&P9 prefers the 147gr bullet was also confirmed by Julie G. (the captain of the S&W competition team) in some previous threads at the pistol-forum website.

Also, what difference did the KKM barrel make? Did you do any before/after comparisons?

I have 2500 rounds on the stock barrel which will shoot 124g 6-8" @ 25 yards and 147g 4-6".

KKM made 1-2" better regardless of bullet but 147g still were the best at 3"-4" @ 25 yards meaning a 3" group with 1 or 2 flyers to 4".

Each test was a group of 16 rounds.

Edited by Trident

I know i got into this late, but my own 9mm shot ok with the factory barrel, and now it shoots way way better after the kkm barrel was installed. I can call my shots with the kkm barrel and have become a force to be reckoned with at my club..the only strange thing is the factory barrel ahot Winchester white box ammo decent and the kkm barrel "patterns" them. But other than that, I have less in mine than what it'd take to get a 1911 to be tricked out with the goodies and is perfectly reliable which considering the posts on the 1911 forum here, is a coin toss on reliability .

I know i got into this late, but my own 9mm shot ok with the factory barrel, and now it shoots way way better after the kkm barrel was installed. I can call my shots with the kkm barrel and have become a force to be reckoned with at my club..the only strange thing is the factory barrel ahot Winchester white box ammo decent and the kkm barrel "patterns" them. But other than that, I have less in mine than what it'd take to get a 1911 to be tricked out with the goodies and is perfectly reliable which considering the posts on the 1911 forum here, is a coin toss on reliability .

"coin toss on reliability"???

I invite you to shoot my 2 1911's

They are flawless, but of course they are .45's

.40's are another matter altogether, but then a true 1911 is a .45 in my mind :devil:

Well, I hope my new KKM barrel can come anywhere close to your results with my M&P9 and I will be happy. I am not looking for a silver bullet from the KKM barrel but I want to see a distinct group, not randomness. That's all I am asking, nothin' fancy.

Well, the KKM barrel(bbl) has arrived and when I unpacked it, it looked exactly like the factory stock bbl, except for the color --- it was stainless without the Melonite (as if I really care about colors!).

I put both bbl side by side and examined every corner and every groove and I found nothing different and my heart began to sink and heart-beat rate raised. The only difference I know of the twist-rate and, of course, the CNC machining may be different in terms of the specs compliance. Then, I disengaged the old bbl and put in the new one, racked the slide and things feels normal.

Brought both to the range, and shot the pistol using both barrels at 25ft and 50ft. Hiding behind the fence, there was a shy (new to the family) Beretta Px4 Storm (Full Size) that I brought for the sake of comparison and after hearing so many accuracy praises from current owners. Note that the Px4 has a chrome-lined and rotating barrel.

At 50ft, here are some results that are pretty clear cut compared to the ones above:

7903282680_1cb8bcaefe_c.jpg

7903282136_d678ec964d_c.jpg

Conclusion:

[1]

The KKM bbl did solve the accuracy problem which plagued me to no end. The grouping has a distinct association and I have confidence in the M&P9 once again.

The only issue is this: does Smith and Wesson know how to fix this problem and will they fix it? I'll leave that to the business minds at Springfield, MA to think about.

[2]

I am now wondering if the M&P9 is worth it at all. Straight from the factory, I had to put an Apex kit to make the trigger feel better. Then, now, I had to put in a KKM bbl. In comparison, the Beretta Px4 FS shot like a pro straight out of the box, the trigger felt better than the stock M&P9 trigger and it is only a 4" bbl. It's accuracy is quite impressive, I'd say again. For those who are itching to buy another plastic gun, you might wanna put the Px4 in your short list.

Edited by Art Yeo

Well, the KKM barrel(bbl) has arrived and when I unpacked it, it looked exactly like the factory stock bbl, except for the color --- it was stainless without the Melonite (as if I really care about colors!).

I put both bbl side by side and examined every corner and every groove and I found nothing different and my heart began to sink and heart-beat rate raised. The only difference I know of the twist-rate and, of course, the CNC machining may be different in terms of the specs compliance. Then, I disengaged the old bbl and put in the new one, racked the slide and things feels normal.

Brought both to the range, and shot the pistol using both barrels at 25ft and 50ft. Hiding behind the fence, there was a shy (new to the family) Beretta Px4 Storm (Full Size) that I brought for the sake of comparison and after hearing so many accuracy praises from current owners.

At 50ft, here are some results that are pretty clear cut compared to the ones above:

7903282680_1cb8bcaefe_c.jpg

7903282136_d678ec964d_c.jpg

Conclusion:

[1]

The KKM bbl did solve the accuracy problem which plagued me to no end. The grouping has a distinct association and I have confidence in the M&P9 once again.

The only issue is this: does Smith and Wesson know how to fix this problem and will they fix it? I'll leave that to the business minds at Springfield, MA to think about.

[2]

I am now wondering if the M&P9 is worth it at all. Straight from the factory, I had to put a Apex kit to make the trigger feel better. Then, now, I had to put in a KKM bbl. In comparison, the Beretta Px4 FS shot like a pro straight out of the box, the trigger felt better than the stock M&P9 trigger and it is only a 4" bbl. It's accuracy is quite impressive, I'd say again. For those who are itching to buy another plastic gun, you might wanna put the Px4 in your short list.

Now go to 25 yards and 50 yards, not feet, and post your photos.

I'll try that in my next range visit but, seriously, are there 50 yard targets in IDPA? I have not seen one that far. I have seen 20yd to 20+ yds ones.

In my mind, the KKM bbl has made the M&P9 good enough for me.

Edited by Art Yeo

I really like MP9 once I got used to it. I didn't shoot it well at the beginning what I found was a distance 18 yards and out. I needed a lot of support hand. I would pull the trigger properly all the way through and bottom out the trigger and It would pull my shots to the right. if I use proper amount of support hand it was dead on. Took a bit of pratice but I am sold on it. good luck

I'll try that in my next range visit but, seriously, are there 50 yard targets in IDPA? I have not seen one that far. I have seen 20yd to 20+ yds ones.

In my mind, the KKM bbl has made the M&P9 good enough for me.

And there is probably the answer as to if S&W will ever improve the accuracy. Many think they are "good enough stock" and IDPA does not go past 25 yards. In USPSA we go to 50 yards on some classifiers and I've had 90 yard shots in 3 gun.

But the Glock was not good enough for me in the accuracy department either, until I put in a Bar-Sto.