My M&P9

Art Yeo

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what are yout thoughts on using 147gn bullet?

I have not done a lot of testing on 147gr yet. Others (like Julie Golob) felt that the M&P9 performs more consistently at longer distances than lighter bullets. I just received my case of 147gr and will be testing them next.

My 4.25" pro 9mm hasn't had any accuracy issues except for the nut behind the wheel, from everything i read it seems to be the full size versions (5 inch) that seem to be the problem child. As mentioned this is unfortunate because the M&P is a very ergonomic gun.

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of testing and trying different things.

Here is my MP 9 Pro w/KKM barrel loaded with 124g RN 4.3g N320 @ 1.130 at 25 yards freestyle.

My bet is that most all the problems Im reading about are shooter issues. Have your gun fired by a GM or better and see what you get.

I'm now done messing with mine.

post-38765-0-01328200-1351189074_thumb.j

Edited by Trident

After a lot of testing and trying different things.

Here is my MP 9 Pro w/KKM barrel loaded with 124g RN 4.3g N320 @ 1.130 at 25 yards freestyle.

Looks good and congrats!

My bet is that most all the problems Im reading about are shooter issues. Have your gun fired by a GM or better and see what you get.

I shoot under 1" easily and consistently with any of my 1911's at 25 yards. I can also do under 1.5" with my Beretta 92A1 and the CZ 75 SP01.

Are you saying the M&P9 requires a GM to shoot well when it was touted to be a general Military and Police pistol?

I shoot under 1" easily and consistently with any of my 1911's at 25 yards. I can also do under 1.5" with my Beretta 92A1 and the CZ 75 SP01.

Are you saying the M&P9 requires a GM to shoot well when it was touted to be a general Military and Police pistol?

Nope, I didn't say that you did.

I'm not a GM.

But, instead of trying everything under the sun only to get frustrated why not try the largest and most likely cause and eliminate that first, then look at the other issues.

Edited by Trident

I suggest referring back to forum topics started by G-man Bart, and 470nitro in 2010 regarding a different benchrest technique they reccomend for M&P pistols. I switched to their suggested technique and took at least one inch off of my 25 yd groups. (previous 4-4 1/2, now 3').

The technique they reccomend is to NOT rest the dust cover/frame on sandbags. Rather rest only your hands on a rolled up towel or small sandbag (I use a small Wilderness Tactical plastic bead filled "sandbag") using a firm grip. Frame and mag not to touch the bag. Apperently the plastic dust cover/frame can flex and cause some inconsistency if touching the bag. If you push on the front of the frame with your finger you can easily flex it.

Eric

sorry I can't figure out how to include a forum link in this note

(thanks for the help, edited to include link 10/26/12)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111693&st=0&p=1267796&hl=bart&fromsearch=1entry1267796

Edited by eric4069

sorry I can't figure out how to include a forum link in this note

Just go to that link on your browser, highlight the link on top of your browser, CTRL-c (to copy).

Come back to this thread on your browser and CTRL-v (to paste) the link into your posting.

Thanks for bringing up the issue about flexing frame. It sounds interesting.

Edited by Art Yeo

Art,

Have you tried grouping shoddy factory ammo at 25 yards with the 2012 production barrel(I shoot mostly 115g factory)? Im about to purchase a new pistol for USPSA/IDPA and was considering moving to a glock. I really like the M&P and would like to stay American however. I have the old style barrel and get what feel like odd flyers a lot. In comparison my .45's I shoot very accurately. Im not sure by your posts if it was your custom loads that created the accuracy or the barrel.

Have you tried grouping shoddy factory ammo at 25 yards with the 2012 production barrel(I shoot mostly 115g factory)? Im about to purchase a new pistol for USPSA/IDPA and was considering moving to a glock. I really like the M&P and would like to stay American however. I have the old style barrel and get what feel like odd flyers a lot. In comparison my .45's I shoot very accurately. Im not sure by your posts if it was your custom loads that created the accuracy or the barrel.

Among most of the so-called custom load I have tested, the accurate ones seem to be the stout ones. Based on their velocities and recoil, I'm guessing they are either close to the regular commercial loads or similar to NATO rounds (which are like the +P commercial ammo). So far, I have not been able to find a light load that's consistently accurate except Bullseye and the 115gr FMJ. So to answer your question, I have not tried factory ammo with my 2012 factory bbl but I am guessing it is similar. I will, however, give a box a try the next time I go to the range and let you know what I find.

Hope this helps.

Based on their velocities and recoil, I'm guessing ....

Art do yourself, and everyone else a favor, and get some creditability and use the money for that box of Ammo on a chronograph so your info is accurate and your not guessing......

Edited by Trident

Based on their velocities and recoil, I'm guessing ....

Art do yourself, and everyone else a favor, and get some creditability and use the money for that box of Ammo on a chronograph so your info is accurate and your not guessing......

I did chronograph my loads, just not the factory loads. That's the guessing part based on what was printed on the box.

Ok so I went ahead and grabbed another M&P today after an IDPA to compliment the 9L Ive been using for a bit. Its a newer make with the fancy barrel, I checked before I bought.

I took it out back at 20 YARDS and shot 7 rounds offhand. I was pretty pissed off when I saw a 5" group. Angrily I went and grabbed my Dan Wesson Heritage which I can easily shoot 1" groups with at 20 yards. I shot 7 rounds and was pretty embarrassed when I saw a 5" group.

So I grabbed both my M&P's, went to 20 yards, laid on the ground and shot prone. My old M&P shot about a 4" group, My new Pro shot a 1.25" group, which could have easily been smaller as there were 2 distinct groups of 3 and 4. I repeated this 3 times and all my groups were 2" or under. Looked like this one specifically works well when you point it correctly. Ill be setting it up as my main usage gun and the other will become my backup. Only have 50 rounds through it so far so its far from definitive, but it seems to be a shooter.

Is it possible to put the newer production barrel in an older M&P? I have an older M&P 9L and the barrel is getting pretty worn. I was thinking why not just put in the new production barrel instead of an aftermarket or another old production barrel? Any thoughts?

Is it possible to put the newer production barrel in an older M&P? I have an older M&P 9L and the barrel is getting pretty worn. I was thinking why not just put in the new production barrel instead of an aftermarket or another old production barrel? Any thoughts?

AFAIK, the factory Gen2 bbl is completely compatible with the older frames.

But, if you are paying for a bbl, why not get a better bbl?

Edited by Art Yeo

FYI ... the new barrel doesn't have anything to do with accuracy, as far as I know.

It only address the early lockup and lock open problems people were having. If you compare a new style barrel with an old barrel you will see that the cut in front of the frame is more rounded as opposed to stepped. This prevents the slide from coming in contact with the barrel prematurely.

As for accuracy with the pistol ....

It's not the pistol. I can guarantee that. Strap it to a vise and manipulate the trigger. You will see that the M&P is easily capable of 2 1/2" to 3" groups at 25 yds. if you take the human factor out of it. I've addressed this issue time and time again with the "Which pistol is more accurate?" topics. If you take the human factor out of the equation you will find that almost any production pistol made today is more capable of accuracy than anyone give them credit for.

In other words .... it's the shooter and not the pistol.

The correct question should be ...

"Why can't I shoot my M&P?" ;)

Edited by roostershooter

• 1 month later...

SNIP

The correct question should be ...

"Why can't I shoot my M&P?" wink.gif

^Silliness^

So tell me why my stock barrel prints 10" to 12" groups at 25 yards and a barrel swap to the KKM prints 2" groups at 25 yards, both offhand.

If it's the shooter, then I dare you to buy the cheapest gun ... like a Chinese-made pistol and compete in Bianchi Cup. I would personally congratulate you if you win.

Latest HANDGUNS magazine said S&W is changing from a 1:18.75 twist to a 1:10 twist in thier M&P pistols. (Twist and Shout by Dick Metcalf Feb/March 2013).Kendall

Is that article online? Thanks!

Edited by Art Yeo