Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noveske for 3 gun?

nirol

Hi All,

I've been interested in getting into 3gun and doing a lot of reading lately. It has been recommended that I buy an LMT lower and BCM upper. The amount of options began to confuse me since I don't know what is necessary vs nice to have. I've also heard that 18" with rifle length gas is the way to go. I've become somewhat overwhelmed with ALL the options to be honest (which trigger, which muzzle brake, 1:8 twist vs 1:7, adjustable gas system, length of hand guard, stock, charging block etc etc.).

So, I started to look at the possibility of just buying a built gun since as a novice I don't really know what I want anyway.

I've looked at completed options like Stag 3g, Loki, Colt etc.

Do you guys think these would be a good buy for a first 3gun? I (think) I like these two options (even though they're intermediate gas vs rifle length) unless I'm missing something...

Edit: As a new member the forum won't allow me to post direct links to the two I'm considering...So these are the types I am looking at

Noveske 18" NST 5.56mm

Noveske 18" SPR 5.56mm W/NSR

It seems like with these builds I'd just have to decide which muzzlebrake to go with. Not really sure if A. Either would be a good first 3gun or B. if one is necessarily better than the other (I think the Giselle trigger is 'better?")

Ultimately I know enough to know I'm not knowledgable enough to make an informed decision. I'd like to keep the price (minus optics) to around $2k. I'd also like a gun that I can handle as a noob, but will be capable of growing with me without requiring me to be a gunsmith as I'm starting from scratch with the AR platform.

Thanks for any input.

Hi All,

I've been interested in getting into 3gun and doing a lot of reading lately. It has been recommended that I buy an LMT lower and BCM upper. The amount of options began to confuse me since I don't know what is necessary vs nice to have. I've also heard that 18" with rifle length gas is the way to go. I've become somewhat overwhelmed with ALL the options to be honest (which trigger, which muzzle brake, 1:8 twist vs 1:7, adjustable gas system, length of hand guard, stock, charging block etc etc.).

So, I started to look at the possibility of just buying a built gun since as a novice I don't really know what I want anyway.

Do you guys think these would be a good buy for a first 3gun? I (think) I like these two options (even though they're intermediate gas vs rifle length) unless I'm missing something...

Edit: As a new member the forum won't allow me to post direct links to the two I'm considering...So these are the types I am looking at

Noveske 18" NST 5.56mm

It seems like with these builds I'd just have to decide which muzzlebrake to go with. Not really sure if A. Either would be a good first 3gun or B. if one is necessarily better than the other (I think the Giselle trigger is 'better?")

Ultimately I know enough to know I'm not knowledgable enough to make an informed decision. I'd like to keep the price (minus optics) to around $2k. I'd also like a gun that I can handle as a noob, but will be capable of growing with me without requiring me to be a gunsmith as I'm starting from scratch with the AR platform.

Thanks for any input.

I've heard good reports about the Colt 3gun but I think companies like Firebird, JP, the smaller companies are making some really fine competion rifles and some like Firebird will let you pick parts that you think are good, or they will build you one of there own. If you can't decide what is good, this is a great way to go.

I went through the same thing. This upper, that lower, one of those bolt carriers and that spring etc. I think for the money you can't beat Noveske products, and it is ready to rock out of the box. Once you get time, experience and matches under your belt you can customize to what ever you want.

Here is my opinion,....

Buy a complete 3gun rifle. Stag, Loki, Colt, Noveske, Etc. Then buy a Burris Mtac, mount and lots of practice ammo.

I.e. Stag 3G (1350), Benny hill comp (80), Burris Mtac (350), larue spre mount (220). Or Burris Pepr mount if funds are short (80)

Which is very close to your budget and will shoot lights out. This will be great as you get accustomed to it and get better, the rifle won't need improved.

Edited by NewRacer

Just get a Noveske, you know you want it ;)

Does the intermediate gas system bother you? Seems like most of what I've read leans towards a full-length gas system for a variety of reasons, but I didn't see that available with either Noveske rifle I looked at.

I just shot RM3G with Noveske team. Their guns run very well. My friends LaRue was good. My Franken gun which is most JP ran great. A cheap lower with JP triggers with a great upper is an ideal situation.

Get the HINT.

You can spend money on a good gun and it will probably run very well. You can always upgrade parts.

An XD/Gliock etc. all run good.

Remington shotguns need extra work and maintenance, as do a lot of other makes. Benelli pretty much runs right out of the box.

LOKI Weapon Systems makes a great 3G rifle. I shoot one and so do a lot of folks I shoot with, they always run great. Even mine with less than adequate maintenance.

Stick with an 18 - 20" barrel. JP EZ trigger or a drop in from Timney. Fixed stock, light and long handgaurd and a lightweight barrel and you'll be good to go.

I like the 18" SS Noveske barrels, especially the light weight an irons versions. I don't understand why dont offer 18" with rifle gas and a decent length gas block area. I really like the looks of the new NSR forends.

Edited by Ragnar

LOKI Weapon Systems makes a great 3G rifle. I shoot one and so do a lot of folks I shoot with, they always run great. Even mine with less than adequate maintenance.

Stick with an 18 - 20" barrel. JP EZ trigger or a drop in from Timney. Fixed stock, light and long handgaurd and a lightweight barrel and you'll be good to go.

Do you like those triggers instead of the Giesselle SSA that comes with their 3G build?

Also, for the carbon hand guard, they have 15 & 18 listed as options...preference?

And lastly, did you stick with their standard compensator or go with the Rolling Thunder?

Thanks!

Edited by nirol

Just get a Noveske, you know you want it ;)

Does the intermediate gas system bother you?

+1 -- Get the Noveske if you want the Noveske.

My rifle has the 18" NST lightweight barrel with intermediate gas, fixed gas block, & SJC Titan comp. Really flat shooting, flawless function, and plenty accurate enough. I don't think the gas system is holding me back one bit.

There are a lot of great 3-gun rifles out there right now... Noveske, JP, Firebird, Loki, and the list goes on and on. Just buy whichever one appeals to you and get out there and shoot some matches! Good luck!

-Randy

I would get a Stagg Arms 3 G and immediately remove their compensator. I would replace it with the Pri-Quiet ( Midway ). This muzzle brake is light, relatively quiet and very effective.It is a winning combination. In my opion the Stagg 3 G is the best bang for your dollar. I have one and could not be any happier. In Noveske you are paying for the name. Their products are good but much more expensive. A few friends have Noveske rifles and after shooting them I will take my Stagg 3 G over theirs. The only way that you can beat the Stagg 3 G is by building your own or having one built for you. As far as optic the Burris MTac in 1.5 X 6 is the way to go. Again, the 6 power recently introduced into the market not the 4 power. The extra magnification could be useful for the longer shots and you do not have to use it. Again, these are my opinion and I am just trying to be helpful to you.

The Noveske rifles are top quality. They may or may not have the particular parts you want, especially the trigger and comp.

The Burris 1-4 is much preferable over a 1.5-6. Hit all the long range targets @ RM3G with no worries and needed the 1x!

Hi All,

Noveske 18" NST 5.56mm

Thanks for any input.

to keep the whole gun (w/o optics) under 2k,

1) get a Stag 3G or

2) get a DPMS 3G

3) i think you can get the Jp15 at this price

if you have an exisitng lower receiver ready to go, well, i highly advise a JP15 CTR02 and call it done!

I love my Rogue Hunter except for one thing. Accuracy with FMJ ammo is horrid. Its accuracy with match bullets with factory and my reloads is between 1 moa and 1.5 moa depending on the bullet. However with FMJ ammo its a 2.5 to 3.5 moa gun. I think its due to the poligonal rifling being tighter and distorting the open base on the FMJ bullets. Below is a recent range report. I also included PMC factory ammo as well.

PMCball.jpg

8-7-12Noveske55grainMG.jpg

Now with some 52 grain Hornady BTHP bullets (love this bullet by the way)

52grainBTHPH335.jpg

52grainHornadyCasesnotdeburred.jpg

I have two friends with identical Noveske rifles with different optics with the same experience. None of them like FMJ ammo. I know FMJ ammo generally is not great but I was hoping for 2 moa. One thing JP does well is their barrels seem to be accurate with all bullets.

I used to be a big Noveske fan and I can't say the rifle has let me down. Its been reliable and I have done well with it. But I am not happy with the accuracy for what I paid.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo, are you running the stock trigger?

I bought a 16" Recce Lo-Pro Light Carbine a couple years back, and slapped a 4x acog on it. (Same one in my profile picture) It was about a 1MOA gun with 55gr ball ammo out of the box. But I had a significant increase in accuracy after I changed the trigger.

I pulled my Leupold 3.5-10x off of my bolt gun and mounted it to do some bag work when I was working up my handloads. I ended up realizing that the stock trigger, as light and crisp as it was (which wasn't very light, just typical AR stock trigger), would move the whole rifle every time it broke. I could see the movement in the scope while dryfiring when it was bagged on the benchrest. I put a chip mccormik single stage in it, and not only did it fix the problem, but my group size shrunk considerably. And for some reason, the gun really loves 45gr Winchester whitebox JHP...which makes no sense to me.

Alaskapopo, are you running the stock trigger?

I bought a 16" Recce Lo-Pro Light Carbine a couple years back, and slapped a 4x acog on it. (Same one in my profile picture) It was about a 1MOA gun with 55gr ball ammo out of the box. But I had a significant increase in accuracy after I changed the trigger.

I pulled my Leupold 3.5-10x off of my bolt gun and mounted it to do some bag work when I was working up my handloads. I ended up realizing that the stock trigger, as light and crisp as it was (which wasn't very light, just typical AR stock trigger), would move the whole rifle every time it broke. I could see the movement in the scope while dryfiring when it was bagged on the benchrest. I put a chip mccormik single stage in it, and not only did it fix the problem, but my group size shrunk considerably. And for some reason, the gun really loves 45gr Winchester whitebox JHP...which makes no sense to me.

No I am running a Geisselle 3G in it. I have also tried it on my Larue Lower with a Geisselle 2 stage match trigger. Its not the trigger. Frankly I had about as good of accuracy with my older Noveske N4 carbine with a chrome bore. I have also group tested this gun with a Burris 6.5 to 20 power scope on max magnificaiton and group sizes were approximately the same.

Here are all my range reports with this gun.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/NOveske%20Rogue%20Hunter%20targets/

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I agree with Pat. I also have a Rogue Hunter and its been extremely reliable but I've never been able to squeeze less than 1" groups with it. Doesn't bother me that much as its plenty accurate for 3 gun and with that skinny barrel I knew what I was getting into from the get go.

I am not a big fan of the railed hand guards at all. I do not have big hands and as a result, they feel very awkward.

You just cannot go wrong with a JP Rifles upper. Or a lower for that matter.

I want a Noveske just because I want one but I think it would sit in the safe. My JP is just fine.

I am not a big fan of the railed hand guards at all. I do not have big hands and as a result, they feel very awkward.

You just cannot go wrong with a JP Rifles upper. Or a lower for that matter.

I want a Noveske just because I want one but I think it would sit in the safe. My JP is just fine.

I understand on the railed handguards but I am not sure where they were mentioned. The Noveske rifles in this thread had TRX skinny non railed handguards on them.

ThreegunRogueHunter.jpg

Railed handguards are falling out of favor fast for handguards like the Troy where you can add what you want where you want it vs having rails all over the gun.

I like JP's barrels but none of there uppers are set up just the way I would want. But I will say they make great stuff.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I guess I did not look closely enough. They looked railed. I just saw the rail on top.

The TRX is really narrow you would like it. Now they have an improved model called the Alpha rail. Same concept different barrel nut. Of course ther are lots of handguards like these now. I agree I hate railed forends now due to the excess weight. I still need to replace the one on my Larue Stealth. What I want is a JP barrel in my Noveske rifle. I like the set up I have just want a bit more accuracy.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo