Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun to spend $ on

Moses in PTC

I'm buying a pistol, rifle, and shotgun for 3 gun. I can buy a decent model of 2 of them, and splurge on 1 of them (about $2K). On which one should I splurge? I am going back and forth on this and need to be pushed in one direction or another. JP CRT, M2 3 Gun, or STI 2011, for instance.

Jp is always a good choice. Benelli discontinued the 3 gun model but it doesnt take much to get an M2 race ready. STI 2011 in 9mm is awesome but to start out a Glock, XDM or M&P will do what you need it to. I would put a little more of my budget in to the rifle and optics, but thats just my opinion. Im in the middle of a complete overhaul, about all that will remain of my current rifle will be the stock and optic.

Build an AR, buy a STI and a Versamax 3gun.

Saw an STI with 2 slides here in the classified section, 9mm and 40 for $2500. (Wipes drool from face and continues typing) :surprise:

You can build a very competitive rifle and there are many people right here who will offer you great tips and suggestions.

Never been a fan of Benelli having shot a couple at some flying stuff. Most here love the gun, so I am in the rapidly expanding minority. Prefer gas guns, Xtrema or especially the Versamax, shoot anything from slugs to bird shot and with no complaints and very little recoil.

That's my idea of a good time, and my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it. :cheers:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

my 2 cents, the shotgun is the weak link, in 3 gun, spend the money right the first time on the shotgun. to me the people have the most trouble with shotgun running 100% all the time.

i myself wasted a lot of money trying different shotguns.

just me

I'm buying a pistol, rifle, and shotgun for 3 gun. I can buy a decent model of 2 of them, and splurge on 1 of them (about $2K). On which one should I splurge? I am going back and forth on this and need to be pushed in one direction or another. JP CRT, M2 3 Gun, or STI 2011, for instance.

I would splurge on optics for the rifle personally. You can shoot a good game with a 2 moa rifle and sharp clear optics. But you can't do nearly as well with a .5 moa rifle with a blurry scope that loses zero. After that I would say the shotgun. Like others have said the shotgun is the most trouble prone of the three guns at matches I have been too. I am a huge Benelli M2 fan.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Jp is always a good choice. Benelli discontinued the 3 gun model but it doesnt take much to get an M2 race ready. STI 2011 in 9mm is awesome but to start out a Glock, XDM or M&P will do what you need it to. I would put a little more of my budget in to the rifle and optics, but thats just my opinion. Im in the middle of a complete overhaul, about all that will remain of my current rifle will be the stock and optic.

I have to agree with this. A good service style auto pistol will work fine, and mags, holsters, sights are easy to find and install.

For SG I have to go with the M2, this is after shooting an SLP for 2 years before getting an M2. Does not have to be fancy. Just get a 24 or 26" barrel. Accessories are very easy to find/install as well.

I worked the industry masters centerfire rifle stage where we uses a couple of JP CTRs as range guns. These things run like a top and are so sweet to shoot. But they are $$$ steep. However, you will likley never need another rifle. It has just about everything.

I come from a different school. Never seen a blurry scope, at least not a scope that hadn't been underwater for a week, and never owned one that failed to hold zero, not that I've owned all that many. Even my old Redfield 4x was a rock.

I recently bought a cheap Chinese scope to put on an expensive Warne mount, on my home built, mostly JP ar, and am doing a lot of preying for divine intervention that it will hold zero. But if it doesn't, not much lost and I know where the fault lies. Don't have to go switching barrels etc, the problem lies in the scope and the dope behind the scope. :eatdrink:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

If you are going to splurge on an AR, my advice is to go totally custom. For $2k you can build one bad @$$ rifle. What normally happens when you buy an off the shelf Ar is an immediate parts swap. Why not just build what you want how you want in the first place?

If you are going to splurge on an AR, my advice is to go totally custom. For $2k you can build one bad @$$ rifle. What normally happens when you buy an off the shelf Ar is an immediate parts swap. Why not just build what you want how you want in the first place?

That's what I am doing, I put my parts list on a spreadsheet, so it is all on paper what it costs, I even have a line for shipping costs. Currently at $1,615.75 (without the scope)

Hoping to get it built over the winter, I have about 1/2 of the parts in hand or in transit now.

I agree with RWF. Put the big bucks in the shotgun. I would recomend a Bennelli m2 by any of the familiar names, Triangle, Accurate Iron, Salient, Taran. They all know what works in our game. You can do very well with an out of the box rifle and pistol and easily upgrade them as you figure out how you want it.

I have a relatively expensive tuned up rifle. Then a stock Benelli with a tube and some polishing on the lifter. Finally a pretty stock M&P. I definitely make up ground with the rifle so to me it has been a good choice. Many people struggle with long rifle shots and for many reasons, most of which are not related to their guns. That seems to cost the big time when it goes bad so that is where I have spent the most money.

I would look at it like this. Which gun are you going to use the most? Do you plan on shooting sniper matches? Are you planning on taking up USPSA? I would look at a nice pistol if you plan on shooting USPSA and I would spend no more than $1000-1500 to build my first rifle (I had exactly $958 invested in my first 3gun rifle and optics). It taught me that I enjoy shooting irons a lot more and at most 3gun distances optics are just as fast or faster than a scoped rifle.

Shotguns are shotguns in my opinion. I have a 930 I reworked for 3gun and its a lot of gun for the money. You will get a lot more out of learning to reload the shotgun than spending money on a fancy 3gun shottie. Get some dummy rounds and start learning to stuff that tube! Reloading is the time sink in 3gun and matches are often won and lost based on the shotgun skills.