Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Choices ;)

zhunter

Triggers are very subjective but in my opinion of the triggers I've tried, the AR Gold and the JP are the absolute best. Just a matter if you like a single-stage bolt gun (JP) or a two-stage 1911 (AR Gold).

The Geissele just feels like a polished up mil-spec. To me it is nothing very innovative. Nice and smooth but not innovative.

Triggers are very subjective but in my opinion of the triggers I've tried, the AR Gold and the JP are the absolute best. Just a matter if you like a single-stage bolt gun (JP) or a two-stage 1911 (AR Gold).

The Geissele just feels like a polished up mil-spec. To me it is nothing very innovative. Nice and smooth but not innovative.

Thats strange because a Mil Spec trigger is single stage and the Geissele is a hybrid between a two and a single stage trigger. It works nothing at all like a GI pull and fells nothing at all like a GI pull. In fact as far as innovation goes there is no other hybrid trigger that I am aware of out there. You may not like it and thats a personal thing but its no polished up GI trigger in feel or function.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Admittedly, I don't own a Geissele S3G but the ones I have pulled on other's rifles do not feel right to me. Too much take up. Mushy break. Some folks swear by them,. Too each their own.

I do have a Geissele SSA in one of my rifles and other than being 2 stage, it is very nice. Breaks crisp. I believe it is about $80 less than the S3G..

Edited by Lead-Head

I have no complaints from my JP triggers I went the standard trigger and speed hammer route so I haven't tried their EZ trigger I cant see the quality being any different. Only thing is I wish I hadn't been so conservative when installing mine they break at about 4.5 lbs but it was a learning experience for me and they are still a lot better than a standard trigger.

Thats strange because a Mil Spec trigger is single stage and the Geissele is a hybrid between a two and a single stage trigger. It works nothing at all like a GI pull and fells nothing at all like a GI pull. In fact as far as innovation goes there is no other hybrid trigger that I am aware of out there. You may not like it and thats a personal thing but its no polished up GI trigger in feel or function.

Pat

Well that's what it feels like to me. It's a mil-spec with improvements.

However, are you more agreeable to Bryan's description of the trigger?

S3G- ...It's like a 2 stage trigger w/ the second stage that is the same weight as the 1st w/ no stop between 1st and 2nd.

Kind of splitting hairs to me and again it is just subjective opinion.

Triggers are really up to personal preference so I'd suggest you try a few before you decide. And even better, try a few of the SAME trigger because like others have mentioned, sometimes they're not always installed/manufactured as well as they could be.

And if you're set on the JP, you might consider sending them your lower for a custom install job. I cringe at the notion that someone could be using a rifle around me that sanded a little too much material off or their safety doesn't work perfectly. I'd get a drop in or leave it to the pros. The risk is just too high to be screwing around with your rifle's fire/safety controls if you're not trained to do so.

/soapbox

As others have already stated, the JP's are great. I compete with a couple of different ARs and one of them has the JP. It's blazingly fast. In fact I've heard other shooters behind me joking if I was going full auto. But at the end of the day I prefer a two stage trigger because I'm almost as fast with it, but I feel I'm more precise with a two stage. I have a RRA two stage trigger that's fantastic at 3.25 lbs, and my current favorite, my Geissele SSA-E. Great trigger (for me at least) and no adjustment screws to come loose like the JP. (not that they've ever come out. I red Loktite'd them and check them before each match)

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with any of the great choices you have.

Z,

I've had 2 JP triggers. One I put in and one JP put in.

The one I installed was very good and I thought the beginning and end of greatness until I got the one that JP put in. Holy Cow !

If I were to get another rifle for 3 gun that I was going to assemble myself, I'd order the "Complete JP fire control package installed in a JP-15 lower" option.

MarkCO has talked me into the trigger he uses

The Jard. There are 2: A gunsmith install and a drop-in. Have used both. The drop-in cartridge comes with a safety that you must use with it. The trigger pins serve NO purpose except to keep dirt out with the Jard, which I like. It is an awesome trigger! Their technical service was great answering questions as I tested out their triggers over the winter.

I still have 2 JP original triggers, and I like them, but I do not like the newer EZ which I removed and sold. If you want a JP, send your lower in to JP, at least the first time.

If I liked a 2 stage, would be running an AR-Gold.

I have the Gisellie 3G trigger, and AR gold. I love the Gisselle for fast hoser type style shooting as I can feather my finger to get insanely fast doubles but cannot stand how it feels to try to hit targets from a distance. The AR Gold while not as fast (for me) on close hoser stages, allows me better follow through for long range targets. Which means more consistent hits and overall faster stage times.

I have the Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger on a rifle built for 3 Gun/Multi Gun matches. I love the trigger! It performs perfectly for what it is designed for;) as for shooting long distance, the club I shoot at, doesn't have any target farther than 200yds - I can't say that the Geissele is a hindrance shooting at that distance.

I see much mention in this thread, about "Jard" , but which one? It seems that they have quite a few different ones available.

I have the Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger on a rifle built for 3 Gun/Multi Gun matches. I love the trigger! It performs perfectly for what it is designed for;) as for shooting long distance, the club I shoot at, doesn't have any target farther than 200yds - I can't say that the Geissele is a hindrance shooting at that distance.

I see much mention in this thread, about "Jard" , but which one? It seems that they have quite a few different ones available.

Here ya go, This one

Edited by zhunter