Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to comp an Open 9mm Minor Gun

HazB_Shootin

Hello All,

I have two Tanfoglio's, a match in 9mm and a Limited in 40SW. I'm thinking of putting the 9mm upper on the Limited frame, plus a red dot and shoot it Open Minor to see if I like Open. Does this sound like a waste of time? I know the goal is to keep the dot within the red dot glass, and the comp goes a long way to making that happen with major loads. Anyone else tried running a dot, no comp, with minor loads? If so what was your experience?

HazB, I've seen people at matches doing it - talked to them

and they thought it worked pretty well, but they had never

fired a 9mm major with a comp.

If you have all the pieces, why not assemble them and try it

out -love to hear your report.

Have you ever fired a 9mm major with a comp?

:cheers:

As a little experiment, I've put my 9mm Stock II top end on my 40 Limited, and shot 134PF rounds out of that. The gun was already barely moving with the long dust cover and the bull barrel. Sorry, iron sights, though, so I don't know how it'll compare with a dot.

I don't think you'll generate enough gas shooting minor make be used to it's full potential.

My buddy was shooting his 9mm minor in open with a comp and the screw on comp fell off during a match. He's not going to replace it as the gun seems to handle minor better without it. I believe he's going to use the same setup for steel. This guy is the high master around here.

Jack,

I have not shot any open guns just yet. My only experience is with my Tanfo Limited Airsoft I use for basement practice that I put a homemade mount/Burris Fastfire on. I've found that I'm just as fast (maybe a little faster) and way more accurate than with the iron sights - that's where all this started. Well, that and my aging eyes are having trouble focusing on the front sight lately. I have a Double Tap C-More mount coming this week that I plan on removing the blast shield, drill/tapping a couple holes for the Burris Fastfire (before committing to a C-More Slide Ride), zeroing with my 9mm minor loads and shooting it in a local match this Saturday to see how it goes. Either way I think it will be a fun break from shooting Limited. I've also talked to Rich at Canyon Creek and a comp can be done for the 9mmm match slide/barrel - there's a lot to it, but it's way less than a new open gun should I decide to stay in the open bracket. If I have time this week I'll cook up a few 9Major loads and see how they act while I'm zeroing. I'm expecting, without a comp, that 9Major doubles are really slow because the dot disappears to much...

Hello: I have a friend with a Glock 34 with a dot mounted on the slide that shoots Open minor. It shoots alright and he can see the dot better than the iron sights. It is a fun steel pistol as well :cheers: This setup may not be the best but for him it makes shooting even more fun and his scores are much better with the dot. I say go for it and forget the major loads untill you decide on a comp. Winchester white box is what he uses. Thanks, Eric

But if the 9minor works well for me then I'll just stick with that for a while and concentrate on all 'A's.. One thing I've really noticed is that if you are pushing the trigger you will see it big time with that dot moving all over the place - so I believe it will make me a better shooter. In just a couple basement sessions with the 'dot' I've learned to really concetrate on my trigger squeeze (especially on the second shot of a double).

ChaosShooter - that's very encouring, thanks for the info!

A lot of Open Bianchi shooters are shooting 9mm at 130 to 140 PF with a dot and a comp. It makes a big difference what powder you use to make the comp work. Most are using a 115 gr. bullet with a big charge of slower powder.

I have heard that using a hydrid barrel with a couple of ports and no compensator works fairly well in minor, but I haven't tried it. There seems to be two methods used for open minor loads. Most seem to use a light bullet (95gr to 115gr), but some use a small charge of fast burning powder and others use a bigger charge of slow burning powder. I have tried both methods, and didn't notice much difference in dot movement. I tried N320, 7625, and Autocomp. While I don't like Autocomp for 9-Major loads, it does work well in minor at about a 145PF. My gunsmith recommended 4.5gr N320 under a 124CMJ for falling steel matches in my full size open gun.

Hello All,

I have two Tanfoglio's, a match in 9mm and a Limited in 40SW. I'm thinking of putting the 9mm upper on the Limited frame, plus a red dot and shoot it Open Minor to see if I like Open. Does this sound like a waste of time? I know the goal is to keep the dot within the red dot glass, and the comp goes a long way to making that happen with major loads. Anyone else tried running a dot, no comp, with minor loads? If so what was your experience?

Go for it. All you want to do is see if you like shooting with a dot. I had G17 with ports in the barrel and I JPoint on the slide with no comp. You get the idea without all the cost.

building a 9mm minor open gun for steel right now, had it at the range a week ago and threw various loads through it that i had loaded for minor in production and some 115gr factory stuff

115gr factory stuff had way less flip compared to my 124 and 147 loads, so that proves to me that even in minor the comp makes a difference

Went ahead with a CMore, Zeroed with my minor rounds and shot a local match last Saturday. I really liked the dot, had no trouble without the comp tracking it. I did forget to turn it on during one stage (doh!), had an issue with one mag wanting to nose-dive rounds and cause jams (subsequently fixed that afterwards - bad follower). I did make up some 9major rounds and shot those while zeroing, I liked them, they grouped much better than my minor rounds - the only reason I did not shoot the match with them was that they felt a little harsh, which did not really bother me so much, but it kinda felt like it would be hard on the gun. I probably need to increased my recoil spring weight up a bit (have an 8 or 10lb in it now)to something like 12-14lbs. I only ran 10 through - 4 slow, 6 rapid double taps, just to get the feel of it and see how the gun/dot reacted. I'm going to run 9major this weekend once I get some more rounds made,re-spring and re-zero. The 9majors where: Berrys 124gr (I know - they're plated, but I did not notice any issues) over 7.2gr Longshot, CCI SRP, 1.160 COL. I do not have a chrono (yet) but they definetly felt like they should make major - probably in the 168 -170 PF range. All that said, I will definetly either port or comp in the future (probably over the winter break), but for now it's working and I can't wait to run it again this Sunday :D

Absolutely agree, I used another shooters load data with a simular setup just to trial 9major. Actually I backed it off by .2 grains and ran at 1.160 OAL instead of the 1.145 he's using. But I hear you load and clear - I have a chrono on order, should be here next week :cheers: