Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computer controlled 1050

jmorris

The first run of the PLC controlled 1050 was a success. Along with the auto drive I added a PLC that controls the motor. There is an up and down limit switches that are on a clock so if the tool head doesnt reach either in the allotted time the timer times out and stops the motor, this keeps the clutch from continually slipping if a jam occurs. I went ahead and made the upper limit switch a round counter to count the number of completed rounds.

I then tied into the powder check die and low primer systems so the machine would halt operation if there were a high/low charge or no primers in the tube. I programmed a routine into the PLC that would count down from 100 to start with and reset every time the low primer alarm was triggered. This way all the operator has to do is fill the tube and press the run button and the screen is automatically reset..

To finish up there will be proximity switches on the bullet/case tubes and powder measure to stop operation if any of them run low. Then build an enclosure for the PLC and display and find something else to tinker with.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by jmorris

Amazing job ... great 'tinkering' job!! :cheers: plenty of beer time with that, add a paging function on stop, so can be by the pool until something 'bad' happens ...

What bullet feeder is that? the GSI?

Now all you need to do in your spare time is integrate the Dillon primer loader into the press so all you have to do is pour several hundred primers into it instead of messing with the tubes, etc.

However, the progress you have made so far is admirable, Good Work !!!

Yes, there is lots of room to improve it but I'm just glad the thing works the way I intended it to.

That is a GSI feeder, the others don't allow you to PC unless you seat and crimp at the same station.

Hmmm automation engineer with too much time on his hands, huh?
Stay at home Dad with a baby that naps.

DSC02403.jpg

Edited by jmorris

I eventually plan to do something similar (with a BeagleBone rather than a PLC, I'll be able to control it from a web page and/or smartphone :) ).

The main 2 things I need to sense are that a case successfully made it into the shell plate and that the primer slide hasn't jammed. I think I could use an infrared LED and sensor to detect a missing or tipped case, and a plain ol' microswitch to make sure the primer slider isn't jammed up with a tilted primer.

Either of these error conditions would be caught by your time-out, but I want to catch it before the press binds up and potentially breaks something.,

Edited by Griz

• 6 months later...

Yes, there is lots of room to improve it but I'm just glad the thing works the way I intended it to.

That is a GSI feeder, the others don't allow you to PC unless you seat and crimp at the same station.

how well has that been holding up for you these past 6 months?

Any thoughts on a tag switch on the powder bar to sense an incomplete charge bar closure?

I've thought a lot about a higher torque motor for the casefeeder so it could handle more brass but I keep thinking a jam would blow the clutch or fold up brass.

Did you notice a better brass flow with the much taller case tube of the GSI system?

What are the percentages out of 100 on inverted bullets, inverted primers or peeled back casings? I'm getting around .5% failure on 100's and about 1.5% loss on the thousand.

How many rounds per hour?

Are you willing to share your data? I'd love to see how this holds up on a long term count of ammo made over ammo lost

If I ever get mine up I was thinking I would add Ansul to the enclosure just in case of a fire. Though I'm not too scared of that happening.

Thanks so much for being an outside the box thinker!!!

Edited by JerryShoots

Vision inspection on the bullet feeder? You have more details?

I didn't hook anything up to the powder bar as I figured the powder check would catch any issues in the next station.

The case feeder and bullet feeder will hold a tad over 200 rounds worth but you still have to fill the primer tube so I just have a cup with two lines drawn on the inside. One line is 100 bullets tall another at 100 cases, fill the primer tube hit run then add a scoop of each.

Not sure what your talking about with brass flow.

RPH, not sure. You could figure it out with this video. http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/VIDEO0116-2.mp4.html

What data are you interested in?