Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3gun & have a 6.8 spc

jiggycg99

I was wondering if anybody uses a 6.8 spc in 3gun. I have a nikon 4x12 on it and was wondering if i could use this setup. Its my only rifle and i havent shot a match yet might get a different upper later when i can afford it. can you shoot a stage with a scope and take it off for the next stage? i really like my 6.8 but i got it to coyote hunt not compete.

I was wondering if anybody uses a 6.8 spc in 3gun. I have a nikon 4x12 on it and was wondering if i could use this setup. Its my only rifle and i havent shot a match yet might get a different upper later when i can afford it. can you shoot a stage with a scope and take it off for the next stage? i really like my 6.8 but i got it to coyote hunt not compete.

You can use what you have however the 6.8 is not really good for three gun in that it does not make major power factor yet it has more recoil and less magazine capacity than the 5.56. To make matters worse most matches don't even have major minor power factor and all you need is a 5.56. So your at a disadvantage there. Your scope also puts you at a disadvantage. You can not take the scope on and off between stages. It has to stay on or off for the whole match. The short term solution would be to take the scope off and shoot irons in limited assuming you have irons and see how you like three gun. Then later buy a upper in 5.56 and get a good low power variable scope.

Pat

mick you are right about ammo price. getting a new upper would be the way to go but i cannt afford one for awhile also i have a mossberg 500 pump that would need upgrade. my ar is ruger sr556 very little recoil good shooting gun for me however i am not good with iron sights past 75yds so i dont know if i should stay with the 4x12 or go iron. i think the match i am goin to shoot has 200 yd shots i think.

There are several cheap 556 uppers you can get. I think midway had a DPMS for less than 400 and SOTA has complete uppers (including BCG) for under 400 as well. I know some folks with 6.8 SOTA uppers and they shoot pretty dang well for the price. At about $1 per round for 6.8 you'll make up the difference pretty quick.

You can use a 6.8 for 3-gun, but as others have said the ammo cost will kill you. Unless you have a compelling reason to keep the 6.8 Ruger, I'd sell it and buy a 5.56 direct gas impingement gun. Even if 3-gun ends up not being your thing, you will have a rifle you can actually afford to shoot.

Just want to clarify...I have nothing against 6.8. I have a bison armory 6.8 upper that I love to shoot. It's great for deer (my state has >22 cal limitation, hogs, and coyotes). I just don't know about it's practicality for competitive shooting.

I'm using my 6.8 in 3 gun at the moment, which is the gun I use for hunting. I'm also using my ported with and optic Mossberg pump action turkey gun.

Is it ideal to be competitive? No, but hell you're not going to win your first 3 gun match anyways. Honestly if you don't get DQ'd and come in last, you did great.

Has it been fun to experience 3 gun and get an idea of the sport? Yes

My advice as a guy who is a match or two in front of you. Grab what you have and go to a match, be safe, and have fun. This will also give you a chance to see the different guns and gear.

I'm using my 6.8 in 3 gun at the moment, which is the gun I use for hunting. I'm also using my ported with and optic Mossberg pump action turkey gun.

Is it ideal to be competitive? No, but hell you're not going to win your first 3 gun match anyways. Honestly if you don't get DQ'd and come in last, you did great.

Has it been fun to experience 3 gun and get an idea of the sport? Yes

My advice as a guy who is a match or two in front of you. Grab what you have and go to a match, be safe, and have fun. This will also give you a chance to see the different guns and gear.

+1

give it a try first and see how you feel about 3Gun. then spend later

I have been hunting with a 68 and handloading for years with it

Great round

I will probably do a match with mine sometime just for kicks

I would hate to lose a bunch of brass though!

Take a Dykem pen or a Sharpie and put a ring around the brass just forward of the extractor groove to mark it. As you are walking back and forth to reset and paste pick up a few pieces of brass with each pass. As long as you are doing your part, generally your squad mates will realize you are shooting something expensive and help you out by picking up a couple pieces as well. This is of course as long as you are pulling your weight by helping your squad out. Now if you are bent over like a chicken pecking and not helping out your squad you will quickly find out what resentment and silent treatment is.

Better to lose $20 on brass, then buying the wrong equipment and losing much more.

My son shot my 6.8 at his first match a couple of weeks ago. It did fine. As said before mag capacity and recoil will slow you down, but you will get a feel the sport. Let you squadmates know whats up and unless they are jerks, they will probably help you police your brass.

Unless you are going to want to shoot an iron sight division later you will eventually need a scope anyway. My suggestion is to get a scope and put it on your 6.8. Check the classifieds here and your local shooters to see if anyone has one they can part with, maybe even loan you for a bit. The scope that you have is going to be a hinderance. If you have to buy I recommend the Burris MTAC and thier PEPR mount.

Another option is to get a set of the offset irons and use them for the closer targets.

As stated above, 6.8 isn't going to be very competitive, but if it's what you have, shoot it. Just to try it out a couple times go as inexpensive as you can, while still maintaining decent equipment that you can sell at a little loss or repurpose for something else if you don't like 3 gun (not like 3gun... :rolleyes: ).

Unless you are going to want to shoot an iron sight division later you will eventually need a scope anyway. My suggestion is to get a scope and put it on your 6.8. Check the classifieds here and your local shooters to see if anyone has one they can part with, maybe even loan you for a bit. The scope that you have is going to be a hinderance. If you have to buy I recommend the Burris MTAC and thier PEPR mount.

Another option is to get a set of the offset irons and use them for the closer targets.

As stated above, 6.8 isn't going to be very competitive, but if it's what you have, shoot it. Just to try it out a couple times go as inexpensive as you can, while still maintaining decent equipment that you can sell at a little loss or repurpose for something else if you don't like 3 gun (not like 3gun... :rolleyes: ).

I use a 2 - 8 Scope on my REC7 (in 6.8) and have the off set Irons for the really close targets The 4x will be tough for close targets but you will survive. As for recoil try a "Non Talon" Super comp and there will be no recoil (it feel like a .22LR) Ammo, Barrett's is the best for price and it works out to are $15 per 100 more than it costs to reload. (I know brass is the biggest cost/ pain)

As for competitiveness don't worry about it like any sport its the person then the tool. I watched guys with $500 AR's kick but and guys with $3000 AR who couldn't have hit the ground if they dropped it.. just have fun and get some experience. ;)

hey black im planning on getting offset mounts for my troy flip up sights. as far as recoil my cousin has a gun just like mine except his is 223 and i cannt tell the difference in recoil. just wandering if anybody knows where you can get affordable 6.8 ammo that seems to be the biggest disadvantage.

hey black im planning on getting offset mounts for my troy flip up sights. as far as recoil my cousin has a gun just like mine except his is 223 and i cannt tell the difference in recoil. just wandering if anybody knows where you can get affordable 6.8 ammo that seems to be the biggest disadvantage.

Your right the 6.8 has a little more push than 223 and with the Non Talon comp I have has reduced it to no difference (that I can tell. I like the 45 degree off sets but I noticed someone makes a 10 degree off set and I'd like to give them a try.

Ammo is the biggest pain, the .223 / 5.56 folks can get surplus and discount bulk for 1/2 the price I have to pay for 6.8 Hornady but compared to comparable quality factory ammo the cost is about 25 to 30% more. I started buy from Barrett because they charge $30 for a 30 round box and it matches the ballistics of the Hornady that cost me $22 to $24 for 20 rounds.