Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jacketed bullet for USPSA Minor

paul788

I'm looking to find a jacket/plated bullet for match use in a .38spl. Currently use 160 gr. lead from S&S casting. Does anyone make that profile in jacketed? Need to make minor for USPSA and don't like running plus P loads in a old K frame so light bullets are out. Watching video of myself shows how much time I lost waiting to see thru the smoke.

Thanks

Paul

I have not shot USPSA in awhile, but if the Minor PF is still at 125 then just about any .38 Special load with bullets 160 grain or less is going to require a +P pressure/powder charges to make that PF. If your K-frame is a .357 gun it's not a problem, but I would be hesitent to run a lot of +P loads through a .38 K-frame.

If I was going to go with the .38 I would choose to shoot lead... the pressures per velocity

can be a bit less. If smoke from the burning bullet lube is a major concern, have you tried the 158 grain swaged bullets from Speer or Hornady? They use a hard lube that produces very little smoke. I've shot a pile of them at 125 PF on indoor ranges without comment. Just a thought.

Most people I know that shoot IDPA SSR, ICORE, or steel use 158gr Berry's RN. I used to use 158gr BBI's but they don't appear to sell them anymore and I had issues with chambers getting gummed up really quick. After I started using MG CMJ's for 9mm and asked if they would ever offer CMJ RN bullet for .38/.357. They suggested I try the 142gr FMJ, but I haven't got around to it.

Good luck on this on Paul, most likely folks will suggest the coated and plated bullets. And some of these are fine bullets. But, The search for 158 RN FMJ's is an elusive one. At one time their was a rumor of Armscorp shipping some into the US , but I do not believe they ever surfaced here.

Mike

Roze Dist. doesn't show a .356 150gr. bullet. Does Zero still make what you recommend?

Next closest I have seen is Sierra 170 gr. Anyone have experience with it?

Paul

You might need to order direct from Zero, or find somebody who has an account with them.

Mike

Roze Dist. doesn't show a .356 150gr. bullet. Does Zero still make what you recommend?

Next closest I have seen is Sierra 170 gr. Anyone have experience with it?

Paul

Try Angus LINK

edit to add: They show on order so get a back order in.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Here are some other options that are out there. www.xtremebullets.com 38 Super .356 or .357 147 RN. Nice bullet and the .357 works great with 38 Short Colt. www.berrymfg.com 38 Super .356 150 RN or 38 Cal .357 158 RN. www.rainierballistics.com 38 Super .356 151 RN or 38 Cal .357 158 RN. These are all plated bullets and one last place to try is www.billybullets.com but his are moly coated but smoke is not an issue and he makes the 160 RN in .357 or .358 and if you want to venture higher he has 170 RN .358. Hope this helps.

Dean

Thanks Hearthco, I'll call them Monday. Website says out of stock on every pistol bullet I checked, but the .357 Rn even has a canalure. Great if I can get some to try.

Paul

Paul

Golden West has had an Out of Stock status on these for over two years. Ask me how I know ;)

However, if you find out differently , let us know