Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you practice shooting Texas stars?

NicVerAZ

I have used about $5 worth of ammo (and I reload) on two Texas stars yesterday. I did do ok on the second one, but the first one is the one that cost me the most.

Being right handed, I try to shoot the top one, then the next one going clockwise, which starts the movement. I then try to wait for them and take them out as they cross my sight, but it takes a lot of focus and patience.

I sometimes do it right, but once it starts oscillating from one side to the other, good luck. I hit a lot of dirt and could not focus at all.

I have a lot of more basic drills on my plate before I can concentrate on Texas stars, so in the meantime I will have to take every tip you can throw my way.

Thanks a bunch!

I am not the best with stars but,when ambushing them (waiting for them to come to you) the biggest thing I have found is shoot as soon as the leading edge gets to your sights, don't wait for the center of the target if you do by the time you pull the trigger and the bullet get to the target the plate has moved out of the way.

Mike

Shoot with confidence and shoot quickly in this order Head, uppers, then lowers. Sing the jingle, Head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes.

Hit the head and nothing moves. Take either shoulder then get the other shoulder quickly and still nothing moves. Then go for the feet. Shoot one foot then the other will generally come to the same spot.

Step 1: Get practice time with a Texas Star! My only practice seems to be when I confront the wily beast at a match. It's cool you can practice with one.

I have had luck with them in the past, not really ever given me fits, so even with my limited practice here are some observations that might help.

Each club's Texas Start sits a little different at rest: some tilt left, some tilt right. That will determine the direction of rotation when you shoot the first one, so you have to be ready to go both way. (Had one earlier this year that was tied to a popper so that it started the thing spinning BEFORE the first shot!)

So if you can, rig it to start both ways and practice going in CW and CCW directions.

I don't like the ambush method, too much time wasted, and the best I have seen just shoot them before it starts rotating fast anyway.

Last advice: a fast 2nd shot is key! If you can shoot the top one, then get the second one fast enough that it basically stops its angular momentum with three at the bottom, then those last three are easy to deal with and it won't turn over.

Hope this helps.

A new shooter asked me this on Sunday at a match. I just shoot matches as we usually have a star in every match :) Biggest tip that I think you already have figured out it shoot the plates while they're stopped (top of pendulum if you will) not when they're moving the fastest (bottom). Some shooters try to hit the bottom and that's very hard.

~Mitch

Track the targets as they rotate slowly squeezing the trigger as the gun moves. Keep tracking the plate even after the shot breaks. Then move onto the next plate. When you take the top if the right side is coming up try to take the left side shoulder before it moves to far. This will stop the movement in that direction and reverse it. Now take the right shoulder, then left foot, finish with right foot. When it is moving slowly it is easier to follow the plate with the gun and squeeze off a shot.

A style I have seen many people have problems with is shooting them as they come into view. ie. take the top, then the right shoulder as it comes up, followed by the right foot. If you get all your hits it is quick, but if you miss, the star now has a lot of momentum. The last two plates now are doing close to a full circle, and if you take the second to the last plate up high that means the last plate is also high and able to develop even more momentum.

Edited by Poppa Bear

The O.P. wondered how to practice for the Texas star... I have had good success with stapling 5 paper plates to the backstop in the star pattern to work on the timing aspect. That seems to be the hardest thing to master. You can use 5" plates for a real fun time. If you shoot the star quickley enough it won't move too fast. (I shoot 11:00, 1:00, 4:00, 6:00, and the last as it comes back.) The other thing I did was to build 2 of them. I had one I built about 5 yrs ago, and the 2nd this year, a little updated model. Mine move faster than those we shoot at matches, so that helps. The 2nd one has 6" plates. Practicing on the paper plates is a lot faster rep wise (no reset) and seems to help. IMHO of course...

if you had a little room could you rig up a bit a of pendulum with a paper plate in the middle to swing back and forth? unlike a steel plate you could keep hitting the paper plate without disrupting the motion too much

if you had a little room could you rig up a bit a of pendulum with a paper plate in the middle to swing back and forth? unlike a steel plate you could keep hitting the paper plate without disrupting the motion too much

Good idea. Another I can think of is to staple a plate into a swinger and practice hitting/tracking it as it moves back and forth.

A new shooter asked me this on Sunday at a match. I just shoot matches as we usually have a star in every match :) Biggest tip that I think you already have figured out it shoot the plates while they're stopped (top of pendulum if you will) not when they're moving the fastest (bottom). Some shooters try to hit the bottom and that's very hard.

~Mitch

This is what I do as well. Using the body terminology, I do the following:

1) shoot the head (star should still be still afterwards)

2) shoot the right shoulder.

3) shoot the right foot as it swings up to where the right shoulder was (minimal gun movement). If you shoot it at the top of the pendulum, the remaining two plates should stop rotating.

4) shoot the right target

5) shoot the last target as it swings to where target 4) was.

This method minimizes Texas Star specific practice. All you need to practice is being good at hitting static plates. You could practice on a tree or plate rack.

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea. Another I can think of is to staple a plate into a swinger and practice hitting/tracking it as it moves back and forth.

thats what i use to do..and probably need to start doing it more often :roflol:

Try to find a club that will let you practice on theirs and go out and shoot it. Try different ways and see what works for you. Like one of the posters said every one sits a little different, I have been to a match where they got it rotating before you got to it.

The texas star is much about timing and confidance. If the club will allow you to practice on theirs take advantage. Bring a black sharpie and a can of orange spray paint. Paint the surface you will be shooting nice and evenly and number the back from 1-5 starting at the top with one and work clockwise in order around the star. Start at 10 yards (min safe distance) and engage from top working clockwise in order. Dont ambush, when muzzle rises and starts to return drive the gun to the top of the target next in line and squeez just as you get there. You should hit dead center or close. Repeat for each subsequent shot. Now put all targets back on in order and analyze each hit and recall where you held for each shot. It will come back to you. Just visualize it. If your hits were on the edge, make an adjustment on the next try. Dont forget to repaint. Youll be cleaning that star in no time. When it becomes easy at 10 yds move back. Repeat.