Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XD

SherlockWV

Warp - I have heard a few bad stories about accuracy but yours takes the cake. 6" on a good day, whew. Is (was) your a "Tactical" 5" gun and of the newer models? Most of the people I am listening to on the HS-2000 site do not speak of accuracy this poor. Can understand the Bar- ST0 helping. I have a mail in to Kevin at KKM as to whether they are going to make any XDs. There arn't any shown on their web site. I have 2 in Glocks and like them for the price.

HTH - I guess the extended Mag Release can be removed easy enough for production use. Again, thanks for the input. Getting just enough to make me nervous. - JC - :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the "heads up" Warpspeed! I lived in So. Cal in Seal & Huntington Beach during the Apollo Program. Perhaps the "Tactical" 5" will be better although I do have a mail in to KKM regarding BBLs for this gun. They don't show them on their site but they may make one now. I have KKMs in my G 17 & 21 and like them. Cullen mentioned "take down" on the XD being complicated. I don't know. but with what I am trying to accomplish, and being the type of person who really likes to dismantle & clean guns, I don't see it as a problem.

BTW, I really like your signature. Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

Thanks for clarifying, war...d. ;)

Sherlock, I was referring to detail stripping of the XD, not the normal takedown you'd want to do. The extra parts and use of roll pins to hold some of 'em in scares me (I'm a gorilla in more ways that one). If you're servicing it yourself, it could be an issue, but if you're confident in your abilities, go to it.

And I would go for the 5-inch (I shoot a 6-inch gun in Limited/L10). :)

Thanks Cullen - I am luckly in that what I cannot do myself, another friend can as I too am a not a gorilla but one with autisim when it comes to some delicate things. I am leaning hard towards the XD now for L-10 major and production. .40 cal Tactical 5" bbl. I will keep on shooting my 1911 9 +1 for L-10 in minor. This thread has really helped me gather info on the gun plus the "link" you turned me on to.

If all goes as planned I will be able to shoot in the classes I want to without leaving the range with a bloody hand. Then....down the road, & $$ I will get a real gun.

Thanks again - Good & Safe Shooting - Jerry :)

XD accuracy. Maybe I got lucky with mine (40cal tactical) but head...oops uppper panel groups are not a problem @ 25 yards. Mine is now and will remain rock stock (OK, maybe sights) just my personal deal after many years of altering every gun that spent any time on my bench. I really like the XD and as a (stock) Glock pilot have found that transition to the longer trigger reset of little problem.

If the XD feels good in your hand than you may well have found your next production/L10 blaster.

Good luck

PK

P.E. - Nice to hear someone say that their XD Tactical is doing well out of the box. I guess "well" is relative to the shooter but all the same good news. Well, I broke down & ordered one today so I will find out what is what. I do plan on having a trigger job done. Now I have to get dies, etc. etc. No KKM bbls, Bar Sto is making them though. The input from all of the folks contributing to this thread has helped greatly!

Thanks - Good & Safe Shooting - Jerry :)

P.S. Now that I have ordered "Newbie" brings up the Custom. Thanks Newbie, now I will be second guessing myself all night.

Sherlockwv,

My XD 5" 9MM will shoot about 3" at 25 yds with pmc or armscor I have not shot any hp through it, for what I do with it thats fine I have few mods to it just the trigger. For production class Iam very happy with it. :D

Later, Ivan

SCS Vegas

Thanks blackkdragon, nice to know. I was sorry to hear that KKM had no plans to make bbls for the XD. The ones in my Glocks run really good. My wife is shooting the 17 w/a KKM in it and at 25 yds., she continually blows the center out of the 4" center of a 6" pie plate. I forget who mentioned it but Bar Sto is making a bbl and I know that they are good. I would fear that because Bar Sto chamber their bbls to SSAMI (may have got that a little wrong), reloads may not chamber as well and may have to have the bbl reamed and rethroated. But...I am really out of my depth here. Perhaps someone will clarify that point.

My order for the XD fell though as there do not seem to be any around where I am. Had a thing going on a trade with my G-21 + goodies for a XD package but not now. I do have one fall back position on a used one though. OH ! Are you shooting your Tactical strictly stock?? Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

I just read this whole thread, I have several XD's and really like them... I was a Glock guy for over a decade, but really like the XD better. The chamber support is excellent, I would shoot the stock XD and see how it shoots. If you shooter better than it does then go for a Bar-Sto barrel, if not, shoot the stock barrel. My guns all shoot under 3" at 25 yards. I really like the trigger. I have shot some with really good triggers, but I like mine stock. I might like the actual break to be a little lighter, but the 5 pounds that it now is, is ok for IPSC Prod and IDPA. One of my Tactical .40's has over 5000 rounds thru it with only 2 malfunctions. One being at our state IDPA match!!!!!!!

Steve H

slide is too heavy for optimum performance in 9mm, trigger reset is is kinda lazy compared to glock....people say this gun(the XD) is going to replace the glock...i cant see it happening...its a good gun, but i think the glock is better.

all the XDs i have shot string vertically...4 inches or so...

whats up with the finish on the carbon steel guns?? are they paying someone to sit around with an acetylene torch and soot the slides for finishing...the ones i see have been shot less than my glock and look like crap..

i see steel showing through.

i think KRYLON would last longer..

I guess the XD is a good tool, but when the 10 round law goes away, the glock is gonna walk off and leave it...140mm glock mags hold 19-20 rounds...i dont think you could stuff but 16 or so in a 140mm XD type mag..

Well, the contributions keep coming! The consensus seems to be that the XD has it's merits for the price and, there are modifications that can be made. blackdragon, no doubt that I would "bench" the gun in stock configuration particularly after break in. Perhaps the stock bbl will be satisfactory. As far as the trigger, being used to a lighter trigger and a shorter reset, I will probably have a "job' done.

I have found out that the gun will/can use 1911 recoil springs so this seems nice in load development.

One thing that has not been mentioned my me is that once upon a time in a Thread on this site, experienced .40 shooters were talking about that calibers ability to be loaded in both Minor & Major with the Minor loads having less felt recoil than a 9mm. This along with the ability to shoot L-10 & Production couple with the "hand cutting" problem with my Glock has led me to the XD. I do not believe that the XD will ever replace the Glock but because of my requirments, it may serve. Now all I have to do is find a 5" Tactical. Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

Bruce Gray wrote an excellent article in Front Sight on the guns that the various GMs were using in Production and the pros/cons of each gun. IIRC, he covered the Sig P226, XD, Glock, HK USP, and the Beretta 92 series.

The Front Sight article by Bruce Gray is in the Jan/Feb 2004 issue. Blackdragon (Ivan) does very well with his XD, the trigger on his XD is pretty sweet. I bought an XD a couple months back to get my daughter shooting, but I like it so much I think I'm gonna have to get another one and maybe try production class.

Steve

Steven, thanks for the article info. Dug it up & read it. Pretty good overview on Production Guns. XD seems to have the advantage on reloads a bit.

Still have only one feedback on HPs & this gun. The web site I was refered to makes a lot of reference to this problem. + some info on tweaking the Mag Lips to make HPs work (feed) right.

Good & Safe Shooting -JC- :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a XD-9 subcompact and the striker pin broke. I have talked to a few others and they have had the problem where the cocking indicator breaks off. Just a heads up. I don't know if anyone else has had that problem. Also Springfield would require you to send the slide in to replace the striker pin. I got mine shipped to me so make sure you ask if they will send it to you instead of sending them the slide.