Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XD

SherlockWV

Just curious. Is anyone "tinkering" with the Sprinfield XD for Limited 10 or Production use? Any trigger jobs availabe? What about aftermarket Mags?

Perfer the Glock but still have problem with the slide on the 17 & 21 cutting up my hand & the 21 with stock 10 round Mags is unreliable shooting 10 + 1.

Comments appriciated. Thanks - JC - Good & Safe Shooting :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not done a trigger job on a XD yet, but it appears to be pretty simple. Glocks too are fairly easy until you want that sub 1 lb. pull. To get the untra light Glock trigger requires a good bit of effort. Glock parts have fairly liberal tolerances, especially the trigger bars. It is clear to me that Glock has more than one supplier of these parts, or they use different dies to stamp them if done in house. Then to compilcate matters a bit more you get into how tight or loose your slide to frame fit is.

My trigger job prices go up exponentially on Glocks as the pull weight decreases.

Thanks Joe - Although you haven't done an XD "job" on the trigger, your comments suggest that it looks like it would be relativly easy. That is good news! I have shot the XD & do not have any problems with the slide cutting my hand. I was told that it points like a 1911 but I couldn't say for sure when I shot one. Because of the "cut" problem, I use a 1911. I thought the XD might be a compromise to the Glock in 40. cal to get into "major". I haven't seen or read anything about them in USPSA shooting. (not that I have looked that hard) I did see one at the Buckeye Blast when I worked the Chrono stage. Once again Thanks. Good & Safe Shooting _ JC :)

If you are using an XD 9MM use the standard 40 cal 10 round mags, they will hold 15 9MM rounds the feed lips are the same ( trust me this works ) .As for the trigger job I have a guy that can do the job, And I swear Its like a 1911 or the best glock trigger you have ever felt. He reduces the take up and cuts the return to about 1/8 of an inch, pretty scary!

Ivan

SCS Vegas

Bruce Gray does XD trigger jobs. He's an Open and Limited Grand Master who's been shooting IPSC since before IPSC even existed (began shooting proto-IPSC "combat matches" in 1972 - IPSC was formed in 1976). He's a top drawer IPSC pistolsmith whose work isn't limited to the 1911; he's put a lot of time into figuring out how to improve trigger pulls on many other common carry guns, as well. For instance, he has a modification for the basic SIG trigger system that both shortens the reset distance and gets rid of all the re-takeup for every shot.

Mucho Thanks Folks....I don't own a XD but have been considering it because of the aforementioned slide cuts with my Glocks. So, I have been considering one because they do not cut my hand. Now....thanks to those of you who shared information, I not only know that "trigger Jobs are available but that they are being seriously used in USPSA. Great!

I am considering a .40 for "major" so the comment about using .40 mags for 9mm is enlightening if not impressive, but I do not have plans for another 9mm.

Anything more comments about this pistiol are appriciated! Good & Safe Shooting -JC :)

Good Question Flex - If you are talking about that little "add on" piece that I modified from it's original design & worked well on the 21, then I just may do it. In talking with DWT the other day, the concensus was that that particular piece would qualify for production but not the "custom" beavertails either done by a shop or the fiberglass mod that I could do. I don't recall if you saw that piece I added but, since the pistol would be basically in it's original form the thought is that it would qualify. That was my last position until I thought to tap into the brain trust here re: the XD. I would like to be able to shoot production.

What are your thoughts about that little "add on piece" and "production". Jerry

The only piece you can add on for Production is some form of grip tape. If it looks less like grip tape, and more lioke something else...then it won't likely be legal (for IPSC/USPSA Production, but would be for Limite/L10.)

I am no gun expert by any form, but I have pulled the trigger on a stock XD and a trigger worked on by Rich Dettelhauser (sp?). It is scary how light and short his triggers are. I do not own an XD, but can compare what a long heavy stock trigger is to one of his guns.

Rich has a Production GM that he earned shooting an XD. I think his business is called Canyon Creek or something like that, but he has an ad here on Brian's site in the "Commerical Ad Forum"

-RS

Thanks rsotelo. I have made a note of the person you referenced. I am getting a lot of good info on this. Since I already have this thread going, and I haven't checked elswhere, can lead be shot from the XD BBL? (Not that I would competivly)(have been reading the thread about bullets tumbling in the .40 & off the cuff, I would think lead would tumble easily at high velocities & pressures but that is a guess)(but loaded to "minor", it may be a consideration)

Flex, when I have that piece of plastic on the G-21 along with the "tape", it looks like everything is one piece. If you are going to DWT's next Sunday, I will bring it "attached" and you can give me your opinion. Methinks that you will say that it is not legal for production and you will probably be right. The slide thing is the only reason I am considering the XD. However this said, people are reporting some good stuff on that gun. I still do not know about aftermarket Mags though. Good & Safe Shooting - Jerry

:)

If you are using an XD 9MM use the standard 40 cal 10 round mags, they will hold 15 9MM rounds the feed lips are the same ( trust me this works ).

Of course, for the next six weeks this will still be illegal.

It's not illegal. It's been legal, it will still be legal. It's when you get into modification of a 10-round magazine to hold more than 10 rounds that it's illegal. The mags still feed 10 rounds of .40, but they also feed 15-rounds of 9mm... from the factory.

Go to http://www.hs2000talk.com, this issue has been beaten to death there.

Thanks for the link 300lb. Although I am gaining more info on the XD, so far at least, the majority of persons contributing do not appear to be shooting competitivly. USPSA. Perhaps I have to look around more. Neat info on springs & such. 1911 recoil springs used in the XD!

Thanks again. Good & Safe Shooting - JC- :)

Thanks for the back up 300 #er, I was wondering how I was going to approach this one , also I have found in MY XD 9MM 5" a 16.5 # recoil spring is just about right after the pistol is broken in! lets see a Legal 10 round .40 with 15 9MM in it, not stamped is still a legal magazine,( sorry I just had to say it!) <_<

Ivan

SCS Vegas

300 pounder & Blackdragon - How have you found the accuracy of your XDs to be? And...I read on the site that 300 refered me to that there are problems shooting HPs out of it. (thing of tweaking the Mag Lips) You guys experienced anything like that? Since I am on the subject but off topic, what loads do you like for both Minor & Major? (guess that question should go under the Reloading Heading but since some XD shooters are responding here I thought I would ask.

Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

In September when magazines start hitting the shelves again, I am considering laying in some standard capacity 9mm XD magazines. It seems like a decent choice for Production for someone like me who can't reach the trigger on a Glock very well.

Truthfully, I ended up not caring for the XD that much. The grip was too short and the mag release was hard for me to reach. Trigger was okay, I guess.

AFA accuracy, believe it or not, in the 600+ rounds I shot through mine I never put it on paper. Used it at steel matches, mostly. Accurate enough for that, when I did my part. I had no problems feeding Speer Gold Dot HPs.

I did get to shoot a few different models at the XD Skills Challenge. I liked the 5-inch .40 the best, hated the ported models, and was kinda indifferent on the 4-inch .40 and .357. The 9mm I had was alright, I guess, 'cept the stuff listed above (which is part of the XD design).

Only reason I wouldn't buy one nowadays is I don't like the inability to take it down and put it back together easily (roll pins are the devil's work). Glocks and 2011s are my speed.

HTH.

HTH, thank for the candid information. In spite of the Mag Release, it sounds as if you shot the XD pretty well. RIID has conacted me re: his trigger jobs and he is also making an extended Mag Release. Says that it "ain't pretty but it works". That is good news. So is the info on the Speer Gold Dots.

Like you, I would prefer to stick with the Glock but because of the slide cut problem the XD is my rational choice (budget) for production & maybe L-10. Although I will probably still use my 1911 (2011 LOL) a lot. Good & Safe Shooting - JC - :)

My xd-40 was a scattergun out of the box. 6" @ 25yds was a good day.

It found its way to Bar-sto Precision and while it was there, the barrel was replced. much better. My trigger is 8.5#'s :angry: It will need to be fixed if I ever decide to shoot it in competition. I love the ergonomics of though. Fits my hand way better than the Glock does.

The Barsto barrel likes Nosler 150's over VV N320 alot. I've never shot factory ammo through it.