Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone interested in a +1 end cap for Versa Max Tactical?

MickB

After buying a new Versa Max Tactical, I discovered that the mag tube was about 1/4" shy of taking a 9th shell. I tried putting on a Nordic 1.5" XXL end cap and found out that it would not fit. The OD of the VM tube is about 0.030" bigger than the regular Nordic tubes.

One solution is to buy a new +5 Nordic tube ($35) and end cap($20).

However, in my opinion, a smarter solution would be to make a new end cap that would fit the factory extension. After adding an extended choke ($9.99 from CDNN), I measured that you could use a 2" extended end cap and be about 1/8" to 1/4" past the end of the choke tube - this would provide a little protection to the muzzle during barrel dumps as well as give more room to accomodate shells of different lengths.

I will be having a machinist friend of mine make one up. The design is already drawn up for the CNC machine.

Since he is already making one, it is easy enough to make more. Is anyone else with a VM Tactical interested in a custom 2" extended end cap? If so, let me know. Price will be $25-30.

Mick

Edited by MickB

A +2 should also be possible - I will ask, but don't see why not.

I should have the prototype in a few days. Once I'm happy with it, then I will post pics.

These are being custom made as a favour to me, so there is design time, material, machine time, anodizing, etc. to be done on machines that could be turning out something else. I hope nobody is thinking these will be free - I should have said that up front.

With that said, these will be $25-30 each, which I think is very reasonable for a custom part and is half the cost of buying the tube and end cap separately

When everything is finalized, I will put everybody in contact with the machine shop making the parts so they can deal with the owner directly. I am making nothing on this. I see a need for a part like this and since I'm going to the trouble of having it made, I figured why not help out my fellow shooters.

Mick

I'd take one. And if you could make a one that holds +2 I'd be interested in that too

Does everyone want these end caps anodized in basic black? Or do you guys want colours like blue, red, etc?

Let me know and I will see what is possible...

Mick

Edited by MickB

Ordinairily, yes. But on the VM Tactical, you have to buy a new tube and end cap due to the different OD of the factory mag tube. Making a specific end cap for this model would be a cleaner way of doing it - one less part to buy. That, and the +1 version is for those OCD types that just have to have their mag tubes and barrel of a similar length... :)

The 10rd tube sticks out 3.25" past the end of the stock 22" barrel and and 2.5" past the same barrel with an extended choke tube.

Mick

Why not put a 10rd tube on it, you will need it anyeay.

I changed the Nordic follower for a standard follower and was still just short of holding a 9th shell. How tight is that 9th shell on yours?

I will check again. If that works, then a 3 inch endcap should make it hold 10...

Mick

Did you know you can just change out the follower and it will hold 9? At least mine and another buddies will.

Sorry folks.

Please read the Forum guidelines.

Advertising

The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.

However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.

"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.