Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get 21+1 rnds 40sw ... Probably 22 +1 when springs settle

RippSpeed

OK I've always been a tinkerer ... So I had a 126mm STI mag laying around. And fooled with it by mixing and matches parts. And I wanted to share this on here on what I found. If you follow my steps please post your results as well... I don't know if someone has posted this before if it has been I apologize.

Here's what's needed:

-126mm STI Mag (IPSC version)

-Grams Follower and spring (11 coil version)

-Dawson Tooless Para Base Pad

-USPSA mag gauge ( to check for length )

it almost fits but you need to shave a few thousands off the bottom of the base pads to fit the gauge... Tell me what guys think...

I been using mine for 2 local matches with out any hi up but they are salt shakers loaded @ 21rds but feed perfectly and they are reload able as well...

Edited by RippSpeed

Interesting post! I've got an STI 126 mm mag and right now I have an Arredondo spring and follower in it with an Arredondo Para base pad. I can manage 18 rds with that setup, but it is TIGHT! I think I'll try it your way and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Interesting post! I've got an STI 126 mm mag and right now I have an Arredondo spring and follower in it with an Arredondo Para base pad. I can manage 18 rds with that setup, but it is TIGHT! I think I'll try it your way and see what I come up with. Thanks!

It has to be a Dawson Para Base Pad. On my STI 140mm (17rds factory) mags I have Grams follower and 11coil springs (+ 2rd ) and the Dawson SNL (+2rds) equal to 20rds reloadable and 21rds non reloadable . But if I switched the Dawson SNL Base pad for a Para Base pad, I get 23rds... But will not fit the gauge it ends up being 154mm long.

With the 126mm mag ( 14rds from the factory) with the Grams follower and 11coil spring (+2rd) and the Dawson Para Base Pad (+5rds), you can get 21rds reloadable. You might get 22rds once the springs sets in...

Hello: You have to extend the ribs down further if you don't want a salt shaker. An easier way is to use a SVI old style 140mm mag for a 45. You have to play with it some to get the mag tube the correct width so you don't get a salt shaker. Another option is the Rescomp mag tube, Bolen follower/spring and a Bolen 3mm base pad. It will hold 21 rounds reloadable. The last option is to find a SVI 131mm 40 tube and use the Grams 11mm base pad with his guts. Thanks, Eric

Hello: You have to extend the ribs down further if you don't want a salt shaker. An easier way is to use a SVI old style 140mm mag for a 45. You have to play with it some to get the mag tube the correct width so you don't get a salt shaker. Another option is the Rescomp mag tube, Bolen follower/spring and a Bolen 3mm base pad. It will hold 21 rounds reloadable. The last option is to find a SVI 131mm 40 tube and use the Grams 11mm base pad with his guts. Thanks, Eric

Eric;

I understand that you have to run these ribs lower but even though they are salt shakers they loaded perfect tonight.

The rescomp tubes are what $80 bucks and the old SVI mags are hard to come by. While this option is readily avaible and cheaper. Just wanted to share my experiment and so far its ran with out hiccups. I've ran 3 matches so far without any problems even though they salt shake with 21rds and they are reloadable.

Does Salt Shaker mean the rounds rattle in the mags?

Hello: Salt shaker means that a round gets under/beside the follower and jams up the mag making the rounds just fall out the top like salt coming out a salt shaker. Not a good thing :surprise: I like reliable mags so all I have to worry about is my shooting. I know I have to reload someplace on most stages so I practice my reloads. A reliable 20 round mag is better than a sometimes 21 round mag. Lastly make sure your mags fit the gauge. I have seen lots of high cap mags that don't fit the gauge so they are illegal. Have your club buy the gauge and check your mags :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Salt shake means you have to shake your mag to get off the rounds because something got stuck internally. Most of the time for me is the follower turning side ways. Worst is you have to remove your basepad with compressed spring, goodluck doing that with bolens.

I've got the STI 21 rounder and a Rescomp 22 rounder. Both fit the gauge. I will use them at the start of a COF but will not reload into them without removing one round.

Both have worked flawlessly for me.

I ain't above throwing money at the issue. :devil:

• 4 months later...

Gotta revive this one...

Thought my thumb was gonna give before 20th rd seated in mag. Not even reloadable. What am I doing wrong? STI 126, DP Para Hicap basepad, Grams 11 coil spring and follower... Any particular fidgeting required?

Gotta revive this one...

Thought my thumb was gonna give before 20th rd seated in mag. Not even reloadable. What am I doing wrong? STI 126, DP Para Hicap basepad, Grams 11 coil spring and follower... Any particular fidgeting required?

Every tube/spring/follower/basepad configuration is different, even if they are the same parts someone else has had success with. There are slight variations everywhere and when you add them up, they can be huge. You have to get a little creative and not be afraid to do some modifying, if needed.

I have recently tried to get a 22rd mage using a Rescomp tube and Taran Tactical parts. I could get 20, then 21 when the springs settled a bit. After a few tries, I decided to play with cutting the spring. Its the cheapest part and these parts are for experimentation anyway as I have 5 good STI mags already. I started slow, cutting off about 1/4" at a time of spring, putting the mag back together and loading rounds, slowly. I ended up cutting the spring by 1-1/2 to 2 coils, so it sticks out of the bottom of the mag body by about 1/4" when the follower is in place. Will it feed reliably? Won't know until I get to the range and try it. Seems to feed rounds from my fingers OK and there seems to be enough tension for the last round to feed.

Only testing will tell me for sure.

I have even tried STI 123mm tubes with the Dawson Para +5 Base. You get the extra rounds but the measured length is 145mm, not legal and there is no way to take off enough off the base to be legal.

• 2 weeks later...

Arendondo insert inside the dawson tooless base takes out the rattle and jam out of a para mag. Got them from the shooters connection. Got my P18-9 to hold 22 reloadalbe. Thats also stock 11 coil springs and followers. Was curious what part # dawson base your using?

Edited by vipertech

I have a 9mm big stick with a trimmed spring that sticks out 1/4 " like the one above and it feeds rounds without a problem. I use old style SV mags in 40 with Dawson SNL base pads and Grams internals that hold 22 rounds nonreloadable or 21 reloadable. They fit the guage and are reliable as any mags I have used.

Cutting one coil from a Grams or Bolen spring is going to shorten its useful life by 80%+. If it's for a "special occasions only" mag it can be worth it, but if you use it frequently it will lose its reliability very quickly.

Cutting one coil from a Grams or Bolen spring is going to shorten its useful life by 80%+. If it's for a "special occasions only" mag it can be worth it, but if you use it frequently it will lose its reliability very quickly.

Why would removing one coil cause a shortened life? It's still a spring, it still compresses.

I don't understand this one.

Cutting coils does nothing to the effective life of the remainder of the spring. If the spring is heat treated or deformed past the elacstic or plastic limit of the material, that is what decreases life. Normal cyclic wear will eventually wear out a spring, but the coils will maintain their spring rate regardless of how many coils are in the spring.

I'm no spring scientist so I can't explain it. But if you don't believe me, just try it. It'll work for a little while, and then it won't.

Hello: It depends on the spring material. The chrome silicon springs will hold up longer than standard coil spring material. Car valve springs are chrome silicon and we know how long they run for. I would not shorten the springs more than 1 coil though. Thanks, Eric