Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy division 308

JDMarshall

What seems to be the most practical rifle to get into 308 heavy division? I have no intention of coming off my .45 and I have set my 870 up to be a great shooter so heavy division has come to mind as an option I want to explore.

I think that more guys at the top use an M1A, but a reliable AR pattern rifle with extended sight radius is very competitive. Find the rifle that suits you and practice with it.

Hurley

I have a DPMS LR308 and think it's a great rifle! They are reasonably priced and from the feedback I've seen they are a very reliable gun. I've never had any type of problems with mine. I would stay away from the CMMG AR 308's though. There are some guys over at 308AR.com who have had nothing but trouble with them!

What platform are you more comfortable with?

And are you looking to go irons or optics?

I prefer the AR style so I built one earlier this year:

308build.jpg

If we are talking AR platforms for 308 setups which ones are the prefferd choice for 308 service? This here looks to be JP if im not mistaken? What 308 AR platrofms are the ones to look for?

Here's my opinions:

If you are convinced you're going to stick w/ the original He-Man (or heavy irons as some call it), the M1A is unmatched due to it's superior irons sights. But if you think you may want to pull double duty w/ the rifle and shoot in Heavy Tac also, do not use the M1A- it's a poor platform for optics. The M1A has less felt recoil because it's reciprocating mass is much less than the AR's heavy bolt carrier. Comps are easy to install w/ Smith Enterprises 5/8-24 threaded front sight base. There are no more reliable 308 rifles than the M1A. (there may be equals though)

The AR has decent iron sights and a great optics platform. More aftermarket parts are available if that's your thing. I have a DPMS Mk 12 that has proven accurate and reliable for a little over $1.2K. Or go w/ the best of the best from JP.

What rifle you choose (providing it's reliable) will be significantly less important than being able to shoot it well.

The only JP parts on this rifle is the bolt carrier group. The choice isn't complex, but can be difficult. If you plan to shoot mostly irons with scope only on occasion, then go with a loaded M1A. It has all the right features, is plenty accurate and shoots very well (especially with a good comp). If you want to be able to shoot a broad range of Heavy division requirements with different optics, then shoot one of the AR pattern rifles. The AR pattern rifles offer greater optics versatility than the M1A. At HeMan Nats, only 15% shot the M1A. Watson wrecked shop in irons with an AR pattern rifle. If you've got the scratch, JP and Larue are about the top dog factory guns, but DPMS makes a decent rifle too and they are about half the cost. I should have my new JP in another week or two.

Edited by co-exprs

Vipers,

Just be sure to check on magazine availability, I forget which mags KAC's run on. One reason the LR308 based platforms are so popular is because most seem to run well on 308 Pmags. The Pmags are cheap and can be found just about anywhere.

Thanks- I am purchasing some now but if I remember correctly they will accept pmags now, I will double check though.

Vipers,

Just be sure to check on magazine availability, I forget which mags KAC's run on. One reason the LR308 based platforms are so popular is because most seem to run well on 308 Pmags. The Pmags are cheap and can be found just about anywhere.

I just bought a JP LRP-07 so the controls would be the same as my SCR-11 .223 rifle. It JP 308 only feels like it weighs about 1/2 pound more than the .223 and the ergonomics are excellent. I'm about ready to work up some 125gr. loads for shooting Tac Heavy next season.

I just bought a JP LRP-07 so the controls would be the same as my SCR-11 .223 rifle. It JP 308 only feels like it weighs about 1/2 pound more than the .223 and the ergonomics are excellent. I'm about ready to work up some 125gr. loads for shooting Tac Heavy next season.

Dave, what barrel did you go with on your LRP? How is the recoil?

Thanks,

James

how are you liking the AR Gold trigger in 308? I have one om y 223 match rifle and enjoy it very much.

Did you build from bare receivers?

The 308 AR Gold feels just like my 223 version, flawless.

I built off a Mega receiver set. JP internals, Rock Creek barrel.

I honestly choose to shoot with an M1A Loaded since I plan on shooting Heavy Metal Irons/Limited primary. Like many have said already the M1A is not the most Optics friendly rifle unless your willing to spend some money. If your going back and forth from Irons to Optics an AR style rifle or SCAR-17 might be a better choice for you. But the wonderful thing I like about Heavy Metal is the wide varity of weapon choices you can use and still be competitive. I seen M1 Garands, the Rock River AR with FAL mags, FALs, and H&K G3s. I even saw a video one time of someone using an FNAR. While each rifle mention has its plus, and minus points I think Heavy Metal is one of the few divisions where you can shoot unique weapons, and still can keep up with everyone else with the right set up (of course assuming your having a good day shooting lol). So find what is best for you, enjoy shooting and go with it!

Edited by Fenrir

I was really bummed that Pat Kelley couldn't make it to HeMan Nats. I was really looking forward to watching him tango with his M1A dance partner. You don't have to make any excusses for running an M1A. I borrowed one for Co State and HeMan Nats. At no time did I feel outgunned in any way. In fact after the big match, I offered to buy the one I was borrowing. With a good comp on it, the low sight to bore and slim hand guard, it was a dream to handle. It was also sub moa with cheap Australian surplus ammo.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my opinions:

...The M1A has less felt recoil because it's reciprocating mass is much less than the AR's heavy bolt carrier...

Interestingly, the above was not my experience at all between the two. The AR-308 I have (w/JP BCG, Comp, and Gas Block) seemed to produce much less recoil than an M1A (w/ factory muzzle brake) I've shot. Does the comp make that much difference between the two I have tried?

Even the smaller comps allowed in HM division take out about 75% of the felt recoil. More importantly though, when tuned to the rifle, they help keep the sight on target. I've shot rifles with excellent recoil properties from both platforms. Which comp you run, how it's tuned, powder and bullet selection play a big part in how a 308 feels and how quickly it recovers. Reciprocating mass does too. The comp'd LRB M1a I ran at HM Nats had very good manors and was very easy to shoot with the throttle down.

Even the smaller comps allowed in HM division take out about 75% of the felt recoil. More importantly though, when tuned to the rifle, they help keep the sight on target. I've shot rifles with excellent recoil properties from both platforms. Which comp you run, how it's tuned, powder and bullet selection play a big part in how a 308 feels and how quickly it recovers. Reciprocating mass does too. The comp'd LRB M1a I ran at HM Nats had very good manors and was very easy to shoot with the throttle down.

Was your experience between the M1A and the AR308 about the same as Bryan's?