Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide-Glide question

Dragonscout

Looking for some info from the northern or traveling members. I'm almost out of my syringe of Master Lube. it's been ok, but thinking of making the switch to SG-Lite. Most of the year would be ok, but the winter in north Missouri can actually get down to a consistent level below the 30 degrees in the description. Is it an issue, or has anyone had problems below the 30 degree threshold? I don't want to have different lubes all over the bench. Since this is my carry gun as well as a woods gun the last thing I want is a sluggish or locked slide. I had that happen in Alaska and don't want a repeat!! thanks in advance...

I'm a little North of you, and we have winter up here too. :surprise:

I only run Slide Glide in the summer. The first time I tried to run my open gun, with "Lite" it turned in to a single shot. Since then, I use Mobil 1 in the winter. :cheers:

That said, I'm guessing if I would have been running a stock gun, with heavy recoil springs, it MIGHT have been o.k.

Sorry guys I ment to say. You won't regret it. Mobile1 is the best oil I have found for all weather conitions. It's thin so when it is cold out it does slow down the slide. When it is hot out Mobile1 does not burn off. The oil companies spent millions of dollars making it better than other oils.

Edited by Tyshoots

I'm from SW Ohio, it gets pretty cold here in the winter, easily from 0-30 degrees. I tried SG Lite once on my carry gun and it would not cycle in the cold, so I just continued to use oil. I've thought about running car oil as well.

+1 Mobil 1. Ever since I learned about it, thats all I use. It's great stuff. It's extremely slick. Doesn't burn off in the heat or during long matches. Doesn't gum up or get thick in the cold. Use it in the bore of your gun to help minimize copper fouling. And a 1 quart container will last a lifetime. I like the thinner 5w-30.

Is there a reason people choose Mobil 1 over other choices, or does it not really matter? I run Amsoil 5w-30 full synthetic exclusively in my car. Just curious is all, Mobil 1 is cheaper I know, and much easier to obtain.

Curious responses...Hmmm, I also use Amsoil when I can get it (no consistent dealer within 75 miles or so), or Mobil 1 Extended 5W-30, but never gave it a thought. I guess I was worried about staining my clothes since I carry concealed up against the body. But the quality lubricants could make sense...

Sorry guys I ment to say. You won't regret it. Mobile1 is the best oil I have found for all weather conitions. It's thin so when it is cold out it does slow down the slide. When it is hot out Mobile1 does not burn off. The oil companies spent millions of dollars making it better than other oils.

One word can make a big difference :cheers:

I mix the mobile1 synthetic ATF and 5W 30 about 50/50 I can wipe my gun down with a rag and it comes perfectly clean. The ATF has more cleaning stuff in it, the oil is a bit slicker.

I am about 2 years into my 2 quarts and I think it will be a long time before I have to buy more.

Put a drop of ATF on a flat metal surface, see how big it gets in a day or two. Will do the same thing in a firearm. ATF is some what similar to lathe way lube and spindle oil (I know there are differences but viscosity/properies are similar). Try automotive clutch and brake disc cleaner, I can buy a case for the cost of 3 cans of gun crudder. This stuff will melt some plastics, so test first.

My guns never liked SC even the Lite. I use Castro synthetic motor oil since that's what my car uses. I drain off the empty bottles after each oil change and now have enough to last me and all my shooting buddies a lifetime.

Hi, I really like slide glide. It gives the gun a glassy feel.

Normal Slide Glide on the majors (barrel slide recoil guide and spring)

50/50 on the others (50% mobile 1 and 50% STP). The STP seems to make it stick for a while.

Brownell's action lube on all the little internal things. I do this once a year or whenever I have the gun torn down for xyz.

IF, I am shooting in really cold < 50F, I just use the 50/50 on the majors instead of the normal SG.

RT

+1 Mobil 1. Ever since I learned about it, thats all I use. It's great stuff. It's extremely slick. Doesn't burn off in the heat or during long matches. Doesn't gum up or get thick in the cold. Use it in the bore of your gun to help minimize copper fouling. And a 1 quart container will last a lifetime. I like the thinner 5w-30.

It would, if I didn't use it all up when my car needs a top off...

The OP never mentioned which gun he intends to use the grease with. I find that guns with loose tolerance frame rails like m&p and will work with grease all year round. The same is not true for a tight, full frame rail gun like a CZ or 1911. The difference is critical.

I live in NE Ohio. No problem with slide glide lite on my 1911 at 30 deg. However I don't use it on new guns. Always use regular oil for a hundred rounds or so before switching to slide glide. I also prefer oil on my carry guns or guns that I don't shoot much between cleaning.

I must not know how to use slide glide.

the one time I did , the slide was moving in slow motion and would barely chamber a round.

mobile one and I never looked back.