Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best affordable 1911

I had an SW1911 that went back to Smith & 'Wesson 6 times. It was a bad gun from the get-go and Smith never resolved the issues. I sold it as fast as I could and got a Les Baer Premier II. I am never looking back.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an RIA it was reliable and ate everything. Came into issues trying to change out sights as they use a weird cut. They may have changed it from 4 years ago. The finish was not impressive but like I said the thing ran tip top.

I now have an sti 2011 and have shot the spartan and Trojan and well STI is an awesome choice! Good finish, reliable, easily upgradeable. I also have a Springfield loaded that runs great and does everything my STI does. Only thing the chamber is a hair tight with factory ammo no problems with reloads it gets a little finicky with lead/moly rounds unless they are loaded short. I had the barrel reamed throated whatever you call it and that's no longer an issue.

If I were buying another 1911 carry, home defense, or comp and I had a budget of $700-1000 it would be a Spartan Or a Trojan STI. That being said I would pass on the RIA for the finish and upgrade issues, and definitely Kimber.

On another note I do think a GLOCK makes a better first timer gun but the cost point of that argument is just not true. Somebody said you can get a pair of Glocks for one 1911 and that may have been true a year ago but as the market sits Glocks Used are well over $600 out the door in most areas. As a matter of fact I traded my G34 here on Enos for a my Springfield loaded straight up. Yes there are deals to be had on Glocks but 2 for under a thousand is not gonna happen today if it does someone hook me up ill take a couple pairs!

Plus 1 STI Trojan with a few up grades. Well built quality parts. There's a reason most custom guns are built on the STI Platform.

Need a pistol for a paper weight Taurus 1911. Lots of options poor quality, poor fitting.

Spartan and some of the others built by Armscore good value for the money.

Have to disagree about the Taurus, you might want to change a few things, I threw away all the series 80 stuff, replaced with the little plate from Brownell's, cut the arm off the grip safety, replaced the hammer, sear and trigger with STI parts. Did add a Burris Fastfire III since my vision isn't as good as it once was. Shot the attached group with it.

PT-1911Target_zpsd724d60b.jpg

Load was 200gr LSWC, 4 grains Clays, Tula LPP and S&B brass. Loaded to 1.245 OAL Rested off a carpet covered 4X4.

You can't go wrong with anything Springfield or Smith and Wesson. Sti Trojan is a solid choice. You are also close to Dan Wesson country in that price range. A used les baer is a good idea.

I used to think the sti Spartan was the best bang for the buck, but mine let me down big time in a match so it got traded.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus, period. Personal experience, don't do it.

I let google do the work by searching brand x followed by the word "problems" it's pretty telling when you get a page full of hits and similar stories of issues with firearm A versus B.

I have a Taurus 1911. It has upgrades as standard that would cost probably at least $1000 to have done to a stock 1911. The gun cost me about $650 brand new a few years ago.

It has functioned perfectly with whatever reloads I have fed it. It has never had a failure of any kind. It's accuracy is very good also.

I don't think you could beat this 1911, especially if you consider the price.

Jim

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

edit to correct spelling

Edited by hax

.45 Para slim hawg 3" barrel

15 yards freehand

Also, first time shooting this pistol.

I have never benchrested any pistol before

Im not saying thats a bad group, because its not, but Taurus's are cast iron paper weights in my eyes.

post-34719-0-42959500-1364951934_thumb.j

Edited by hax

• 2 weeks later...

Remington 1911 Enhanced model 45 if you do not want to spend big bucks on an STI. It retails for around $ 800 and will out perform Kimbers in my opinion. You might have to work on the ramp but otherwise ready to rock.

Very few people buy a springfield, smith and wesson, sig, kimber, colt, dan wesson or sti 1911 and immediately replace all the guts. If they do...they might as well have just bought a higher grade 1911 for all the perfectly good parts they are throwing away.

If your Taurus doesn't suck (er, the Taurus parts that are left in it)...you just got lucky. 100% of the people I know who own Taurus's and used them- curse they day they bought them.