Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High volume, fast burning powder?

Sirshredalot

Hello,

Newbie with a couple questions here.

Im new to reloading and Im using 200gr Plated Berrys SWC for 45acp and currently using titegroup.

My concern is...The recoil difference in just a small amount of powder variations is VASTLY noticeable in recoil.

Im using a target range of 4.5-4.7gr of powder and the charges that have been loaded at 4.3 grains are VERY soft and the 4.9 charges have much more snap...but Sierra Bullets lists a max charge of 5.8gr...That seems high to me.

Titegroup also meters in such small amounts...I inspect every case for powder, but the difference between 4.7gr and 5.4gr is not noticeable to my eye.

Is there such a thing as a fast burning, high volume metering powder?...Id rather have more "cushion" to prevent damage to my firearms.

I would like to fill the case closer to the back of the bullet...My OAL is 1.229-1.231.

Ive wondered about trailboss, but have heard it doesnt lend well to 45acp.

Please and thank you

God bless

-Shred

Trail Boss and Red Dot are the "fluffiest" powders you will find. Both can be extremely accurate in .45 Auto. Both are so fluffy that double charging is impossible.

Personally, I have been VERY unhappy with TiteGroup in all cartridges I reload and Clays has only been of any use with 200gn bullets at 3.7-4.0gn--no other cartridge or bullet weight.

If you must use a fast powder, and you think that Red Dot would be too "dirty" for your use, look to 231/HP38 (the most "universally" accurate .45 Auto powder in all my .45s), AA2 (another broadly accurate powder in my .45 Autos), AA Nitro 100, N310, or AA Solo 1000. Of these, 231/HP38, AA2, and Solo 1000 have been the most accurate. All are more "fluffy" than TiteGroup, and all are a lot more consistently accurate and "forgiving" then TiteGroup in all my guns.

Clays, N310, and TiteGroup suffer with pressure spikes as max loads are approached and TiteGroup burns very hot.

You are a noob and recoil phobic. WST is not only fluffy it is a light color and easy to see in the case and it shoots very nicely in 45. I will add Clays is a bit softer but fills the case less and also light colored and easy to see.

You should consder that a Precision Moly or a Bayou 200gr bullet will take -.3 or -.4 gr of powder less to achieve the same velocity, and will IMHO be more accurate. This will reduce the percieved recoil and flip.

Some guys like their powder like their women, hot, cheap, dirty, that would be TiteGroup. I hit it I quit it. After shooting a 60 round stage it melted the gun into my holser. WST and Clays are cheap, clean, and don't overheat the machine.

For 45 my personal preference is 4.3gr of Clays with a 200gr Bayou SWC or Precision Moly SWC set 1.260. You can also use 4.7gr of WST. Plated bullets I hit it I quit it, not enough savings to offset the poor accuracy. YMMV

I'm also using Titegroup. Just went to the range yesterday to Chrono. Bullets = Montana Gold 230gr HP, OAL = 1.235.

Pistol = XDm45 4.5":

4.3gr avg: 715.7

4.5gr avg: 729.5

4.7gr avg: 770.3

Pistol = 1911 5"

4.3gr avg: 725.2

4.5gr avg: 757.9

May not help too much as I'm using 230gr bullets.

• 1 month later...

If you want a fluffy fill the case powder you can forget about N320 it is the inverse of what you are looking for. Trailboss is the most bulky powder for its speed. It's a decent choice for subsonic rifle loads but I have never used it in 45 acp.

Forgot to mention I have a friend who shoots an old Colt Gold Cup at Steel Challenge with 3.5 gr. Trail Boss and a 230 gr. LRN bullet. He uses a 10 lb recoil spring in his Colt and you can almost see the bullets going downrange. Very light load and quite accurate.

ok i kept reading..... sorry.

dude, dump the titegroup and buy clays, or any other reputable powder which is similar in burn rate.

you will get over recoil if your race 45acp. unless you want to run minor.

Since posting this I have picked up some Clays, Power Pistol, and Green dot to play with...also added a new powder measure to my press.

Clays is REALLY nice...3.9gr with a 200gr RN plated bullet is just about perfect....I might try 4.0gr or 4.1gr just to see if I can get it a little cleaner.

The Power Pistol is a bit of a let down for my application I guess...I meters better than anything else I have tried, but needs to be loaded HOT to run clean...Loaded down to 5.8gr it shoots nicely with a 18lb recoil spring...but is filthy...nice and clean at 7.1gr, but kicks like a mule.

The green dot is the most filling and shoots very nicely, but is just a little dirtier than the titegroup I was already using.

Cant find ANY WST powder...everyone has to order it and the closest place is over an hour away...still want to try it but overall I am very very pleased with Clays.

Thanks for all the input.

God bless

-Shred