Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toyota Tacoma AC Issue - Looking for ideas

I have an issue with the AC in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 and was hoping someone here might have an idea what is causing it. The light on the AC button has started to flash and the system is not blowing cold air. Had the system charged last week (didn't need much) and that fixed it for a while but it started again this weekend. The manual does not reference what the flashing light means. I am trying to figure out if this is something I can fix...Thanks.

Hoses can go bad...leaky. We just replace hoses on our car and recharged the ac. Good now.

Edit to add... Just googled it. Some say it flashes when the compressor RPM is mismatched with the engine RPM. Could be a belt...often is a relay.

Perhaps Im answering the obvious and you wanted details, but the flashing light indicates that the vehicle knows there is a problem with the AC system. It does not indicate exactly what the problem is. This caught my eye bc Ive been having the very same issue in my 04 4runner. I would be interested to hear what you figure out.

Whenever I have a Toyota issue, which is rare, I go to toyotanation.com. It is the BE of car forums. Lot's of stuff in the forums and there are probably hundreds of posts about your blinking AC light.

Let me know what you find out as I drive an 05 Tacoma.

Worked as a Tech at Toyota for a few years. Replaced several of the relays. However from what I remember the flashing light is more of a problem with the rotation sensor on the compressor. I'd try the relay first if that doesn't fix it you'll need a new compressor.

Yeppers, I'm fighting an intermittent ABS light right now. ABS code 49. Tail light switch or ECU according to the flow chart. Started just after I replaced the front brake pads.

My 2000 Tafoya Tacoma has been an outstanding vehicle but I just bought a cherry 2005 Tundra 4 door. Hauling the grandkids.

Pat

Well, the most common cause for this is the Magnetic Clutch Relay. Unfortunately, that wasn't my problem. We replaced the relay and that did not fix the problem. So, we dropped the skid-plate and found that the clutch coil wiring was corroded at the terminals. It looks like battery acid might have gotten on it. We cleaned those off and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Well, the most common cause for this is the Magnetic Clutch Relay. Unfortunately, that wasn't my problem. We replaced the relay and that did not fix the problem. So, we dropped the skid-plate and found that the clutch coil wiring was corroded at the terminals. It looks like battery acid might have gotten on it. We cleaned those off and it appears to have fixed the problem.

That makes total sense. The compresssor was most likely rapidly cyclying on and off due to the bad connections.

My AC light started blinking on a trip home from Nashville today. Just happened on this tread tonight and tried swapping out the clutch relay. All is working now.

Thanks to all the great info from the BE folks.

Im no AC expert, but it sounds like the dehydrator is gone. If there is even such a thing on them anymore. Had a Mazda many many years ago, sounds like the same problem.

Edit; Not dehydrator, but evaporator. Glad hoe found the problem and got it fixed.

Well, it started doing it again. So, my mechanic started checking things again and found dye in the system (which meant the previous owner had experienced problems before and could not dignose it). It will not run and then after about an hour of driving, it will run. So, my mechanic told me to take it to the dealer and pay them diagnose it. He said we could identify the problem then he could repair it for less than the dealer. The tech at the dealer initial thought was a bad relay (he said that is the most common issue). Naturally, when I took it to the dealer, it worked fine all afternoon. <_< So, I left it and it started acting up this morning. Now the bad news. Dealer Tech said it is the compressor. :sick: Tech said the compressor is having problems keeping up with the timing of the engine??? Not sure what all that means, but he said it would cost $2500 for the dealership to replace it. After giving me the quote, the tech then whispered to me that he would not pay $2500 to have it done by the dealership. He told me that if I have a good mechanic that I trust, to pay him to install a remanufactured compressor in the truck for 1/2 the cost. He said the only benefit to paying the dealer to replace the compressor is that it will come with a lifetime guarantee for the part and labor.

Happy Independence Day!!

• 8 years later...