Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ratty old cz 75 + $400.

TerryYu

So I stumbled upon this on gunsamerica window shopping.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/931038859/Guns/Pistols/CZ/CZ_75_9mm_Czech_Police_Nickel_Blue_1988_w_1_High_Capacity_15_Shot_Magazine_CZ75_CZ_model_75_Ceska_Zbrojovka_Double_Action_A.htm

TLDR summary: ex police circa 1988 old beat up cz for a low price.

Let's assume I bought one of these and wanted to recondition it to play in production class. Would it be possible to turn that into something that performs like a poor man's shadow sp01 for less money then it would cost to just outright buy a shadow sp01? Let's assume that I can do most of the parts swapping work myself and I would only have to sent it away for refinishing and a modern sight cut.

Worth it to give an old gun a chance or just bite the bullet and buy the latest and greatest?

So I stumbled upon this on gunsamerica window shopping.

http://www.gunsameri...le_Action_A.htm

TLDR summary: ex police circa 1988 old beat up cz for a low price.

Let's assume I bought one of these and wanted to recondition it to play in production class. Would it be possible to turn that into something that performs like a poor man's shadow sp01 for less money then it would cost to just outright buy a shadow sp01? Let's assume that I can do most of the parts swapping work myself and I would only have to sent it away for refinishing and a modern sight cut.

Worth it to give an old gun a chance or just bite the bullet and buy the latest and greatest?

You want a 1992 ( I think) or newer one with OUT the FP block. In 1992 or there abouts has the pinned on front sight that you can easily change. After that you just don't want a FP block. I've done a couple like that before I got shadows and those turned out great.

My first CZ was an old 88' and I LOVED it. I carried it for 6 years before trading it towards a newer CZ 75B. I am definitely going to pick up an older one at some point again. The triggers can be worked wonderfully on the old CZs.

:)

I suppose you need to figure out what it would cost to finish to your liking and what work you can do yourself. Then add it up and decide if it's worth it. You might also figure what you can get out of it.

For me the $400 price point was too high for the condition they were in.

Example:

$175 to have it refinished

$100 to have the front sight dovetailed (I can't take gun parts to have done at work...darn liberals).

$70 for CZ custom hammer (now Cajun is offering one too).

Probably another $50 in misc. parts.

Of course I'd also have to put some VZ grips on there, but that goes for the new ones too ;)

I suppose you need to figure out what it would cost to finish to your liking and what work you can do yourself. Then add it up and decide if it's worth it. You might also figure what you can get out of it.

For me the $400 price point was too high for the condition they were in.

Example:

$175 to have it refinished

$100 to have the front sight dovetailed (I can't take gun parts to have done at work...darn liberals).

$70 for CZ custom hammer (now Cajun is offering one too).

Probably another $50 in misc. parts.

Of course I'd also have to put some VZ grips on there, but that goes for the new ones too ;)

Don't forget the cost of the sights themselves. I looked at doing something like this as a learning experience. It was cheaper than a new shadow Custom, but I realized it would be one of those projects I start and never seem to finish.

you could build it to be a fantastic comp pistol.

Comp Hammer

Combat Trigger if it doesn't have one already.

Polish or remove the firing pin block.

Do an action and trigger job on it. (be sure to use a 13 lb spring and extended firing pin)

Put whatever sights on it you like

and you now have a pistol that will shoot with any of the CZ Custom pistols any day of the week and have spent not even half the price of one.

It isn't magic... Just some time and patience, when smithing your not in a race.

I shoot a 1989 CZ IPSC (built at CZ, meaning they drilled and tapped the frame for a red dot and that is about it) I did the action and trigger job on it. Everyone that shoots it wants it, the trigger is just over 1.5 lbs in single action and just at 3 lbs in double action.

There are a number of reasons that the CZ is so accurate. The center of the bore is closer to the hand than most pistols, full length internal rails, grip angle and grip design making the pistol feel like it was born in your hand.

I like the SP01 frame with the added metal on the nose of the frame because it helps with what little flip you might get over the 75b. But that said, the 75b is just as good a pistol as any of them.

I built, or had built a '91 CZ into something like a SA only shadow back when there were no shadows. Dovetail sights [FO front, Novak rear], Angus tuned conversion into a SA only with the old steel two way adjustable trigger and comp hammer. I still have it, it runs like a champ. But for the cost of all the work one might as well get a shadow with the better frame. IMO

Can a cross dovetail be cut for the front sight in one of these? I have 1986 pre-B CZ85. I've been told that there isn't enough metal in the slide above the bushing.

Mine is a '91 and the gunsmith never mentioned any lack of material when he did mine. It is a cross dove tail w/fiber optic. Not sure of brand or dove tail dimensions.

Not to hijack the thread but could I have contact information of the gunsmith? I'm getting a little tired of staked on sights falling off.

Can a cross dovetail be cut for the front sight in one of these? I have 1986 pre-B CZ85. I've been told that there isn't enough metal in the slide above the bushing.

Mine is a '91 and the gunsmith never mentioned any lack of material when he did mine. It is a cross dove tail w/fiber optic. Not sure of brand or dove tail dimensions.

Out of curiosity only, why would you want a cross cut dovetail when the factory sight cut is at the center axis of the bore?

The front sight will always be center, you drift the rear to set the sight to the sight picture you shoot best with.

But all that said, If the person cuts it to the depth of the original sight then there should be plenty of depth. Now I'm not sure how far back you would have to move it to ensure enough material at the front.

They could fill the factory cut with wield and level it all off the to slide profile, then cut it to the factory depth I would assume.

again, I wouldn't do it myself, but firearms are a personal thing, so go for it...

This one doesn't have a dovetail for the front like modern CZs. The sight is staked on similar to a mil-spec 1911. The sight tenon goes from the top of the slide and through the barrel bushing and serves to hold the bushing in place. I've replaced the rear sight with one that has windage and elevation adjustments so minor misalignment of the front sight won't necessarily be a problem. I'd like a cross dovetail because of the wide variety of aftermarket sights available. Mostly I need a front sight that will stop falling off.

Out of curiosity only, why would you want a cross cut dovetail when the factory sight cut is at the center axis of the bore?

The front sight will always be center, you drift the rear to set the sight to the sight picture you shoot best with.

But all that said, If the person cuts it to the depth of the original sight then there should be plenty of depth. Now I'm not sure how far back you would have to move it to ensure enough material at the front.

They could fill the factory cut with wield and level it all off the to slide profile, then cut it to the factory depth I would assume.

again, I wouldn't do it myself, but firearms are a personal thing, so go for it...

You could just buy an EAA Witness Elite Match, also two tone just like the CZ you're looking at, and order a few extra mags for just a shade over $600. As I'm sure you know, it's a CZ clone. Has a 4.75" barrel, 15 rd mags, and is crazy accurate. I have one and love it.

You could just buy an EAA Witness Elite Match, also two tone just like the CZ you're looking at, and order a few extra mags for just a shade over $600. As I'm sure you know, it's a CZ clone. Has a 4.75" barrel, 15 rd mags, and is crazy accurate. I have one and love it.

Or you could buy a CZ75BSA for just a shade over $500 in a two tone with nice sights, and boom your done. Then again, you don't get the satisfaction of making a cool blaster out of humble beginnings. I think we all would like to do that some day, especially if you have been looking at this site for very long.

Or you could buy a CZ75BSA for just a shade over $500 in a two tone with nice sights, and boom your done. Then again, you don't get the satisfaction of making a cool blaster out of humble beginnings. I think we all would like to do that some day, especially if you have been looking at this site for very long.

I am very much inclined to make good blasters out of rescue guns. It's satisfying to save something that was destined for the junkyard and rebuilding it. Somewhat relatedly, I also have a bad habit of rescuing broken dogs and rehabilitating them. Currently I have 3 broken dogs, one is broken physically and mentally (severe hip displasia and retarded), one is sad (doggie depression/super shy), and the third is desperate for attention(was in solitary confinement for 6 years).

I am very much inclined to make good blasters out of rescue guns. It's satisfying to save something that was destined for the junkyard and rebuilding it. Somewhat relatedly, I also have a bad habit of rescuing broken dogs and rehabilitating them. Currently I have 3 broken dogs, one is broken physically and mentally (severe hip displasia and retarded), one is sad (doggie depression/super shy), and the third is desperate for attention(was in solitary confinement for 6 years).

Oh I guess we have more in common than just making sweet blasters out of sleepers. I am about to have to put an old one down who we rescued. She is 15, and I will be taking her on Tuesday. Wish I could rehab her into the fine awesome dog she was in her youth. (which she still is in her heart.)

Then, look at Blindbats thread on his CZ75 rebuild it is sweet, and seems right up your alley.

JZ

• 2 months later...