Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine/Training Survey

Chriznak

What do you use to mark your magazines? I want to know what kind of type, what colors you use, if you use a paint, how you cull bad magazines out? I was thinking using a colored duct tape and writing numbers on the tape? Pics welcomed.

I use a Brother label maker, to produce numbered labels. I stick these to the back side of the magazine, just above the base plate. Never had one come off, in fact they are pretty much impossible to remove without a razor blade. Many colors to choose ;)

All my mags work so I dont need to mark them. They all get serviced at the same time, have generally the same number of uses on them. If they dont work I fix them or throw them away,

All my mags work so I dont need to mark them. They all get serviced at the same time, have generally the same number of uses on them. If they dont work I fix them or throw them away,

This is my technique. I have 8 magazines for my gun. After a CoF, I'll pull two loaded mags from my bag and put them on my belt in the back pouch locations and move the rear ones to the front. Then I clean the ones I just used, reload them and put them back in the bag. That way, any given mag only gets used probably twice during a match. If I have problems with a mag, it just goes into a different location in my bag so I can test it at the range. I never understood the need to number them.

This is my technique. I have 8 magazines for my gun. After a CoF, I'll pull two loaded mags from my bag and put them on my belt in the back pouch locations and move the rear ones to the front. Then I clean the ones I just used, reload them and put them back in the bag. That way, any given mag only gets used probably twice during a match. If I have problems with a mag, it just goes into a different location in my bag so I can test it at the range. I never understood the need to number them.

pretty much the same here.

I'm with the 'don't mark'em crowd' never really understood what good that does. However, since I shoot production, what I do do is have one mag which has a blue base plate, the rest are black. That's the one that always has 11 rds in it so I always know where it is ...

I never used to mark mine, until I kept having problems with one magazine. I would get home from the range and never could remember which one was the problem child. Since marking/labeling them I know which ones are more reliable. Also thanks for the grey sharpie idea.

I'm with the 'don't mark'em crowd' never really understood what good that does. However, since I shoot production, what I do do is have one mag which has a blue base plate, the rest are black. That's the one that always has 11 rds in it so I always know where it is ...

Then you do mark your magazines.

If you shot other divisions, it might be necessary for you to mark or number your magazines for other reasons such as putting your name or USPSA number on them so they are easier to be returned if left or dropped, numbering or otherwise marking both the tube and basepad so the proper parts go back together in the proper combination to fit the mag length gauge without the necessity of dragging out the gauge to check, or identifying which are your 20, 21, 28, or 29 round reloadable mags and which are your 22, or 30 round non-reloadable mags depending on division of course.

I shoot single stack and carry 7 mags on my belt and can see the benefit of identifying potentially problem mags.

I've marked them with a Sharpie but that isn't permanent. Suspect mags usually tagged with a paster and get regulated to barney mag only status until I feel confident whatever issue has been resolved.

Having a trophy shop engrave numbers on the mag tubes has crossed my mind but I haven't looked into having it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Dremel engraver and my preferred combos is my initials and a 3 digit number (CRN-001). All these are glock mags and only differ in size and caliber.

+1 on the dremmel followed up with paint in the groove. Over the years I've tried sharpies, labels, fingernail polish, model paint, etc by themselves and they all eventually peeled or chipped off.