Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever truly build a .45 open?

Travis224

Compensators DO work with .45acp but not as good as .38 super and 9mm major.

For a direct comparison you only have to fire the gun with the comp barrel and then replace it with the standard barrel and shoot it again with the same ammo. BIG difference.

Vectan have published some new loads with SP2 and a 200gr FMJ. ELEVEN grains of powder gives 1100fps. Should be plenty of gas there for the comp ?

I'm gonna give it a whirl.

i certainly agree with that. the 45 ACP has much more recoil in general than the medium bores, probably simply because of that 230 grain slug. and if you compare the numbers at that link between the 38 Super (which was not loaded to Major, by they way) and the 45 ACP, the compensated 45 still had waaaaay more recoil than the compensated 38 Super. again, i think that 230 grain bullet makes a big difference. so, while a compensator works like a compensator even on the 45, it does not tame it to the recoil levels you get with the compensated smaller bore calibers.

Absolutely...........

Only last week I tried two different loads. 230 LRN with 5.2 grains of a Spanish powder called Optima A. The other load was a 200 grain RNFMJ with 6.5 grains of Vectan BA9.

The 200 grain load had SERIOUSLY less recoil and much faster to shoot.

When you start comparing the recoil of .45 acp to 9mm and .38 Super with 115 grain bullets the higher recoil stands to reason because the bullets at 230 grains are TWICE the weight.

But .45acp knocks spots off the .38's and 9mms on those steel poppers. With the .45 acp they fall over like they have been hit with a sledgehammer !

In Europe we shoot IPSC and we only need to make a power factor of 160. Any 200grain .45acp TARGET load makes that easily. Target loads in a .45 are very pleasant to shoot.

I am going to get hold of some cast 175 grain bullets and try them too.

Edited by malagamarksman

Absolutely...........

Only last week I tried two different loads. 230 LRN with 5.2 grains of a Spanish powder called Optima A. The other load was a 200 grain RNFMJ with 6.5 grains of Vectan BA9.

The 200 grain load had SERIOUSLY less recoil and much faster to shoot.

When you start comparing the recoil of .45 acp to 9mm and .38 Super with 115 grain bullets the higher recoil stands to reason because the bullets at 230 grains are TWICE the weight.

But .45acp knocks spots off the .38's and 9mms on those steel poppers. With the .45 acp they fall over like they have been hit with a sledgehammer !

In Europe we shoot IPSC and we only need to make a power factor of 160. Any 200grain .45acp TARGET load makes that easily. Target loads in a .45 are very pleasant to shoot.

I am going to get hold of some cast 175 grain bullets and try them too.

indeed! that's one thing i love about the the 230 grain bullets in the 45. a freight train is still a freight train even if it's moving slow.

I still have the topend from my STI Bowling pin gun:

PMD_3310.jpg

and here's a picture of a really nice built 45acp w/SVI full dust cover.

Bought this from a friend along with a pile of SVI mags a few years back and have yet to shoot it.

He only shot it a couple times. If pins ever come back around my area I'll shoot it...or maybe I'll post both in the forsale section.

PMD_3318.jpg

I still have the topend from my STI Bowling pin gun:

PMD_3310.jpg

and here's a picture of a really nice built 45acp w/SVI full dust cover.

Bought this from a friend along with a pile of SVI mags a few years back and have yet to shoot it.

He only shot it a couple times. If pins ever come back around my area I'll shoot it...or maybe I'll post both in the forsale section.

PMD_3318.jpg

VERY NICE !!

What is the magazine capacity on the SVI ?

VERY NICE !!

What is the magazine capacity on the SVI ?

Don't know - as I recall we could only load 10rounds in a mag at our local match.

I could check..

• 1 month later...

post-31812-0-28092400-1338203191_thumb.jWhen it comes to guns, accessories and ammunition you guys in U.S have no idea how lucky you are !

I used to live in Kalifornication...so yes I do...

back to your regularly scheduled cool program about .45 open ss...

Cool pics and info... ;)

1984 Colt Gold Cup Stainless, checkering everywhere, single port comp, ambi mag release, Wichita rear sight, front of the slide has been narrowed, and it has "Scorpions Stinger Engraved on both sides of the slide. I bought it cheap about three years ago because I thought it was cool. It shoots very well, but I have no idea who built it. Several of the "older" shhoters looked at it and some say an 80's Clark, some say Wilson and one guy said Jim Hogue (not sure if the spelling is right). But it is still cool even if the 'smith is unknown.

post-25397-0-88830600-1342576959_thumb.j

post-25397-0-68131200-1342576981_thumb.j

post-25397-0-97209800-1342577001_thumb.j

post-25397-0-54945000-1342577033_thumb.j

Great looking old school .45 open gun! The pinto finish is cool, too.

Hard to say exactly who made the gun, but am positive it isn’t a Clark Pin Gun comp (or copy of one). They had a very large top port with a seriously ramped front baffle to deflect the gasses up. . To me it looks similar to an old Wilson type single port comp, but it has a full profile comp unlike the Wilson’s which I recall had a half profile. There were a lot of people building compensated guns for ipsc back then as almost everybody shot open division. Most comps started life as full or half profile compensator blanks from Brownells/Denny’s Shooters Supply/Ed Brown/etc. and then the imagination of the guy making the comp took over. Many were copies from guns that were winning matches that year (or that month), some totally unique to that gunsmith. The Scorpion Stinger engraving is unique, so maybe that might help you figure out who built it.

post-31812-0-28092400-1338203191_thumb.jWhen it comes to guns, accessories and ammunition you guys in U.S have no idea how lucky you are !

I used to live in Kalifornication...so yes I do...

back to your regularly scheduled cool program about .45 open ss...

Cool pics and info... ;)

I have a friend living here who is from Houston. TEXAS, yes a gun owners paradise. I would move there if I could, the Gulf coast. But U.S Immigration wouldn't make me very welcome !

I'm a huge fan of the compensated .45's. I was similarly warned that the compensator wouldn't make much of a difference but that hasn't been my experience. I'm terribly recoil sensitive, after a hand injury and some surgery. Bruce Gray put a comp on my 1911 and it seems to have really helped....and yes, i do think they look pretty cool as well.

I'm a huge fan of the compensated .45's. I was similarly warned that the compensator wouldn't make much of a difference but that hasn't been my experience. I'm terribly recoil sensitive, after a hand injury and some surgery. Bruce Gray put a comp on my 1911 and it seems to have really helped....and yes, i do think they look pretty cool as well.

100% agree there. As a good comparison fire 50 rounds through your compensated barrel then swap it over for the original barrel..............big difference.

They are not as efficient as .38 Super major or 9mm Major nonetheless they DO work well.

post-31812-0-23703800-1342947270_thumb.j