Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 Case feeder

If this is the wrong place to post this, please forgive me, my first time. Question is: Is there a min and max number of cases you can put in a Dillon XL650 case feeder in 38 special, 45acp and 223? I looked in the "search" area but came up empty. I have scoured Dillon's owner manuals that I have and can not find that answer.

I could call Dillon, but this is so much more fun and informative. Thanks for your help.

Keep adding until the clutch starts slipping, then back it off a touch.

But seriously, I'm not sure. I put roughly 1/5-1/6 of the case capacity in, and then just grab a handful every once in awhile and toss it up there. I really need to get a mirror setup in place.

Keep adding until the clutch starts slipping, then back it off a touch.

But seriously, I'm not sure. I put roughly 1/5-1/6 of the case capacity in, and then just grab a handful every once in awhile and toss it up there. I really need to get a mirror setup in place.

OK, 1/5 to 1/6 of WHAT case capacity?

I have found with the newer case feeders you cannot run more than a couple hundred at any given time. So start with a couple hundred and add every time you get up to put in primers.

So the 1/5 is the overall volume of the feeder itself.

Thanks Retread

I have since gone over the assembly instructions again and discovered they say to fill the hopper no more than half full. I was looking for a number which is why I missed it. Half full will work for me. As for the min number I'm sure anything will most likely work. I'll just throw in a handfull and see. Thanks again for your reply.

I tried loading more than 200 into the casefeeder and my new casefeeder would struggle and often stop. I grab about 8 handfulls (.40) which is about 200 and throw them in when first starting the loading session. When I reload primers I then dump in some more cases. Casefeeder seems to run better this way.

• 2 months later...

I tried loading more than 200 into the casefeeder and my new casefeeder would struggle and often stop. I grab about 8 handfulls (.40) which is about 200 and throw them in when first starting the loading session. When I reload primers I then dump in some more cases. Casefeeder seems to run better this way.

Which plate do you use for the 40 S&W...small pistol or large pistol?

I am currently looking to add 40S&W to my 650 capability and it has been sooo long since I reloaded on it least ways purchased caliber change "stuff" that I am starting from scratch.. :surprise:

Thanks

Pat

Which plate do you use for the 40 S&W...small pistol or large pistol?

I am currently looking to add 40S&W to my 650 capability and it has been sooo long since I reloaded on it least ways purchased caliber change "stuff" that I am starting from scratch.. :surprise:

Thanks

Pat

40 will work with either plate according to Dillon.

I can put in about 200-300 .45 cases before the casefeeder stops moving. Usually, I can just move the cases around so all the weight isn't on one spot of the casefeeder plate and it starts turning again.

Why does a new vs. old casefeeder make a difference?

I have found with the newer case feeders you cannot run more than a couple hundred at any given time. So start with a couple hundred and add every time you get up to put in primers.

So the 1/5 is the overall volume of the feeder itself.

This is what I do and it seems to work well.

HILLBILLY METHODOLOGY:

Use a TUBA-WARE bowl 7"x5"x2" deep, it holds about 200 .40 S&W.

It will tell you when it need re-filling.

About 2 years old, has never had a single failure, bought from Brian Enos set-up for .40s.

Have FUN, Be SAFE,

Perry