Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Owners question re: warranty

On another forum, the old chestnut about the 1050 warranty came up.

My question to other 1050 owners is this:

Aside from normal wear items like magazine tips and springs, what parts on your 1050 have broken, or what parts have you managed to kill through use?

My standard line of thinking is that by the time you manage to bust a part on the 1050, it will have given such long service that you won't care about the cost of replacement.

Agree, or do you have a less favourable experience?

I only have 6 months on my 1050 but that is the way I look at it. If 5-10 years from now I have to give Dillon a couple hundred buck to rebuild my machine I will be happy to do it.

In general, I honestly do not like vendors I deal with doing 'free' work for me. I want to pay them a fair price for their time so they will stand a chance of being profitable and that way maybe they will still be there the next time I need them.

Its not "free" work most of the time. It's built into the cost. Dillon and any other manufacturer that offers warranties like that could offer their products much cheaper if they didnt have lifetime or no bs warranties.

I have 3 RL 1050s. that I bought used don't know how old they are but I don't think

they can be worn out.

I load about 10,000 round a year of pistol and .223 rounds.

About the only parts I where out is the tool head return spring or the plastic tip

on the primer feed tube.

Very robust machines!!

dcalvert

I have only managed to wear out the parts that are designed to wear out. Feed pawl primer tips all the springs

I am thinking I may want a main bearing in a few years that is no longer available for my RL 1050 but if I cannot find one I will likely send it in for rebuild.

Press was manufactured in 1989 I am the second owner sine 95.

Never had any issues paying my dillon dealer for parts.

The shellplate is the most commonly damaged part due to misadjustment of either the swage rod or the swage backup die. Use of an auto-drive often breaks the crankshaft, link arm and crankarm. Overswaging, or repeated swaging of primed brass,will fracture the bottom of the swage rod.If the rocker bolt or case feed plunger roller bolt back out they will bend. The rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide is a wear item. It is merely a short piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. The primer punch return spring will collapse after a while,requiring replacement. Those are the parts most frequently damaged. We estimate the life of the frame/shaft assembly to be in excess of 3 million rounds, as long as everything is cleaned and lubed as needed. I must say, if most users took the same care of their cars as they do their reloaders, cars wouldn't last 50,000 miles!

The shellplate is the most commonly damaged part due to misadjustment of either the swage rod or the swage backup die. Use of an auto-drive often breaks the crankshaft, link arm and crankarm. Overswaging, or repeated swaging of primed brass,will fracture the bottom of the swage rod.If the rocker bolt or case feed plunger roller bolt back out they will bend. The rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide is a wear item. It is merely a short piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. The primer punch return spring will collapse after a while,requiring replacement. Those are the parts most frequently damaged. We estimate the life of the frame/shaft assembly to be in excess of 3 million rounds, as long as everything is cleaned and lubed as needed. I must say, if most users took the same care of their cars as they do their reloaders, cars wouldn't last 50,000 miles!

:surprise::roflol:

:surprise::roflol:

I know right? That last sentence made me go grab a rag, an air hose, the Dillon lube order, and the proper oil/grease to clean and lube my 1050! :)

So far, stupidity has cost me one shellplate.

Inattention cost me one bolt for the casefeeder slide.

Normal wear has eaten a few springs.

OCD cost me a new primer punch.

I strip it down for a good cleaning regularly. I drift the bearings and grease them at least yearly.

I've never tried to disassemble beyond that point. If (or when) I kill any parts with the autodrive, it will be an adventure.

I chipped one shell plate. My fault. ;)

I bought the kit with all the spare parts. I've used some of the springs and stuff but I haven't broken any major parts.

I don't remember when I bought my 1050, but I remember that I paid $895 direct from Dillon. I guess I've had it for a while. :)

I chipped one shell plate. My fault. ;)

I bought the kit with all the spare parts. I've used some of the springs and stuff but I haven't broken any major parts.

I don't remember when I bought my 1050, but I remember that I paid $895 direct from Dillon. I guess I've had it for a while. :)

wow I paid 1500 on the used market for my RL in 1995. Found the original build order of march 1989. Still going strong with around 250k of my cycles on it. Lots of life left in the baby.

Had two primer detonations and broke a swage rod on stupid FC .223 brass.

I don't run the ratchet crap on the back of the press. F that. Unnecessary.

I don't run that rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide either. It tore off once and I never replaced it. Never had a problem (note: primer detonations happened BEFORE the removal of this sleeve).

The toolhead return spring thingie broke and was replaced.

That was all in the first 6 months. Past 1.5 years have been worry free with the press.

In the hundreds of thousands I loaded on a single 1050 over many years, I can't remember replacing anything other than a couple springs (Primer Slide and Toolhead).

how often are you replacing the primer tip? The blue mall or red large?