Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

31 round big sticks

zatchmo

Is anybody out there making them anymore? Especially for an STI? Or has everybody just gone back to 30 reliable, reloadable rounds?

Not sure everyone has reliable 30 round reloadable big sticks. Most of my big sticks are a tight 30 with 9mm and I have one that is 30 reloadable with 9mm.

Is anybody out there making them anymore? Especially for an STI? Or has everybody just gone back to 30 reliable, reloadable rounds?

Not sure everyone has reliable 30 round reloadable big sticks. Most of my big sticks are a tight 30 with 9mm and I have one that is 30 reloadable with 9mm.

I should have noted, this is for 38 super comp. I believe there is slightly more room with these than 9mm.

Holy crap - 31 of SC! I want several :surprise:

All Ive been able to stuff is 28 :angry2:

Bolen Follower and spring, should be able to get 29 easily, in STI or SV 170. The only thing that gets tricky when you try for 30 is making sure your mag fits in guage, I had to mix try a few diffrent 3mm and 4mm bolen pads and the Dawson +1 SNL pads and check the rear of feed lips, smooth it out without taking it down too far. Then you have to fix bottom of tube or your rounds may slip past follower and get stuck. To get 31 takes too many things to be just perfect and I was told that it wasn't possible in every mag tube and too risky for that 1 round.

Bolen Follower and spring, should be able to get 29 easily, in STI or SV 170. The only thing that gets tricky when you try for 30 is making sure your mag fits in guage, I had to mix try a few diffrent 3mm and 4mm bolen pads and the Dawson +1 SNL pads and check the rear of feed lips, smooth it out without taking it down too far. Then you have to fix bottom of tube or your rounds may slip past follower and get stuck. To get 31 takes too many things to be just perfect and I was told that it wasn't possible in every mag tube and too risky for that 1 round.

Did you go for the "smooth out the rib transition method" or the "extend the rib method"?

Did you go for the "smooth out the rib transition method" or the "extend the rib method"?

Extend the rib or buy rescomp tubes. I have only done it on SV tubes.

Anyone seen a stage where it would give you an advantage?

I mean - besides the bragging rights, there is always a convenient reload spot in all long stages I have seen.

Anyone seen a stage where it would give you an advantage?

I mean - besides the bragging rights, there is always a convenient reload spot in all long stages I have seen.

Whether the reload is convenient or not, its still going to cost time.

IE: Same shooter shoots the same course of fire twice. The first run with and the second without a reload. All other things being equal, which run do you think will be faster?

IE: Same shooter shoots the same course of fire twice. The first run with and the second without a reload. All other things being equal, which run do you think will be faster?

Depends on the size of the nads of the shooter. If you slow down too much to be sure you don't need to take an extra shot or have to finish with a lot of little steel the faster time can go the aggressive shooter with a reload. On the other hand I watched Glen Higdon one year in New Mexico burn down a 31 round stage with two Texas stars and four minipoppers and it sounded like he was running a chaingun. It was one the most amazing stages I have seen shot. Obviously Glen carries his nads around in a wheelbarrow.

edited because finishe is not a word.

Edited by Neomet

Hello: SVI old style tube,Bolen follower and spring, Grams 4mm and tuned. It will hold 30 rounds reloadable of 38SC or 30 round start in the mag of 9mm. It will also fit the gauge. Not really needed now that stages are more designed for Production and single stack. Most have some steel also. Thanks, Eric

I'm not interested in the debate about it being useful. I think that horse is dead. I was just curious if anybody was still building them, especially now that old SV tubes are near impossible to get, and the new ones are a pain to make work in STI guns. I already have 2 very reliable 28 round big sticks that I generally use (29 gets past the ribs), and I have 1 SPS tube that I need to order a basepad for, but that should be about a 30 round tube. I have mandrels for pounding ribs into the tubes. I may order another STI tube and give it a go. I just didn't want to waste my time trying if somebody out there is already building them.

I normally load 29 in my SVI tubes (both old and new) and am very happy, as they are 100% reliable. But I have one SVI tube tuned by a very well known smith, who told me it should hold 31 rounds of 9mm. I tried every loading trick he told me about, and I still have not been able to do more than 30. With 30 it works... well, kinda. I get maybe 95% operation, which is not enough for a match.

I normally load 29 in my SVI tubes (both old and new) and am very happy, as they are 100% reliable. But I have one SVI tube tuned by a very well known smith, who told me it should hold 31 rounds of 9mm. I tried every loading trick he told me about, and I still have not been able to do more than 30. With 30 it works... well, kinda. I get maybe 95% operation, which is not enough for a match.

Do you have an STI gun, or an SVI? If it's an STI, did you have to mod the frame to accept the new SVI tubes? Or did they happen to just work after modding the mag catch? I'm not opposed to ordering one and trying it, but they're kind of expensive to do that TOO many times if there isn't a lot of hope.

I have both SVI and STI grips, but except for opening up the catch window I have not had to do any other things for most of the new SVI tubes. This with the caveat: there are wide variations in sizes between the new SVI tubes, their dimensions are not exactly stable or repeatable. So some new tubes will fit easily, with minor rework, depending upon your grip, others have too much meat. So far my experience has been - out of 10 new tubes I have been able to make 7 or 8 work.

There seems to be more of an issue with the 170mm tubes, all my 140's work without much effort.

I have a couple of 30 round and 31 round mags built from old Style SV tubes ,bolen guts and pads tuned by diff gunsmiths and fit the gauge...

yes 98% of the time there are some stages where you can always do a reload, but for those stages that dont i use my 30-31 rounder plus one in the barrel .... one thing though they wear out the spring a lot faster stuffing them with that much rounds :lol:

Edited by ogiebb

• 2 weeks later...

The best I have been able to do is 29 rounds per mag, 28 reloadable with .38 Super. They run 100% as long as I keep them clean and check the springs every few runs. I need to try loading them with Super Comp just to see how many I can get in there. Right now I have 4 set up as follows:

STI 170mm tubes

Grams spring and follower, spring clipped

Dawson +1 SNL base pad

Joe W.

Hello: The Grams 4mm base pad has a little more room than the Dawson "SNL". You will have to check the gauge to make sure they are legal on your mag. On STI mags you may also have to extend the ribs down some so you don't get the follower to fall over turing your mag into a salt shaker. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The Grams 4mm base pad has a little more room than the Dawson "SNL". You will have to check the gauge to make sure they are legal on your mag. On STI mags you may also have to extend the ribs down some so you don't get the follower to fall over turing your mag into a salt shaker. Thanks, Eric

I noticed the SNL was a bit shorter last weekend. I have a gram's tuned mag that the basepad cracked on, so I was going to swap out for the SNL. Turns out I can't load it with that pad on it.

Eric, thanks for the heads up. With my tubes set up the way they are I have not had any issues with follower roll thankfully. As for the Grams base pads, I can't really use them at my range because it is an indoor range with concrete floors. I have tried the Grams several times, cracked every single one of them. Some of them were even cracked on the first use. I don't cringe as much when dropping a mag with a Dawson base pad but every time I ever dropped one with a Grams pad I was calling Beven the following Monday. :(

Joe W.