Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second USPSA match on Saturday

So, I have aquired some more gear, namely some mags and mag pouches, been practicing reloads, dryfire concentrating on trigger squeeze, moving safely while keeping finger out of trigger guard, and aquiring sight picture. Last match I was painfully slow, (sorry guys), but my focus was to complete the stage safely, as well as learn the ropes. This time I'm going to try to shoot a little faster, and not worry so much about the perfect dead center shot. Any tips?

Now what concerns me. It's easier for me to hit the mag release with my weak hand. I don't like to change my grip on the strong hand, because either my hand is too small or grip too large for my thumb to reach the release without moving my grip. Don't want to use my index finger as I'm trying to make sure it doesn't get in the trigger guard. Is this going to be a bad habit? Shooting XDm 40 in production, with the small backstrap.

Thanks,

B

To address your first statement: Don't try to shoot faster, try to do everything else faster. "Shoot for points, everything else for time."

Your reload will be very slow if you release with your weak hand. Weak hand must snap to your belt for the reload while your strong hand is releasing the mag. That's what you need to practice so you can do it quickly and safely. You will need to regrip the gun slightly to reach the button. That's normal, not poor form.

I have small hand w/short stubby fingers and have hit the mr w/my off thumb for years! I have been told that my reloads are a strong point for me. I took that as a compliment but that might also mean that everything else sucks! LOL

Richard

Can't quite tell for sure: right or left handed?

Assuming you are right handed, know that some of the best shooters do the "flip" when doing their reloads. Dry fire practice is the key to being able to do it safely and consistently.

Also, I wouldn't give up the objective of "dead-center" hits. You know that some hits won't be there and any loss in accuracy will have a significantly adverse impact because you are shooting minor.

One often quoted maxim: shoot slowly (enough to get all As) - do everything else fast.

Bob,

It is good to see someone new in the area shooting. I live in Livermore and started this year. My wife will be shooting Sat as well....I am out of town.

I have stages set up at my place with targets and a TexasStar. If you ever want to practice let me know.

Bob,

It is good to see someone new in the area shooting. I live in Livermore and started this year. My wife will be shooting Sat as well....I am out of town.

I have stages set up at my place with targets and a TexasStar. If you ever want to practice let me know.

You bet! Thanks for the offer! Shoot me a PM and we will get together.

B

I have short fat fingers and thought an extended mag release would help. I ended up never getting one and now after a year of USPSA (2+ matches a month) I do not even notice. A new XDm and magazines will be really stiff but mine have slicked up and so has my technique. Shoot Alphas as fast as you can and let the rest come. Work on your stage break-downs and not getting Mikes, hitting no-shoots, and FTEs. I had my first "clean" (no Mikes, FTEs or no-shoots)match a couple of months ago, yes it was a little slow but the steady refrain of "two Alphas" coming from the RO as he scored my targets stage after stage was music to my ears!

I suppose I'll practice the flip technique. Mostly was worried about developing bad habits. Eventhough I'm older, (50), I'm a blank slate when it comes to handguns. I can hit well, but not really fast. I fall back into high power rifle mode, and that is probably what I'm going to have the most trouble with. You know, the old sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze routine. Practice and muscle memory will eventually take care of the reloads, draws, and such. I think the most fun aspect of this type of shooting, besides getting to expend plenty of rounds, is the stage breakdown. I'm really looking foward to shooting production just for the reloads!

Thanks,

B

There are also other things that go with pushing the mag release button. You should have it up and in front of you watching the one mag drop and the next go in. So using strong had thumb is typically the way to go. It came natural to me for some reason. For my wife, once she went to training she is getting better with it and finger length is a problem for her.

For your reloads practice the flip. Shooting production it can be a problem because you cannot install an oversized release button, but practice the flip so that the flip is stopped by your thumb hitting the release. The momentum of the slide applies most of if not all of the necessary force to drop the mag and then the gun bounces back into a proper firing grip as your weak hand is bringing the mag into position. Some releases are so tight that you need to physically press the button as your fingers tighten up on the off side, this makes doing the flip much more difficult because you now need to relax your grip to flip it back.

The match went fairly well for me. I practiced the "flip" for hours and actually managed to execute it a few times. Other times I don't even know what I did! Of course I made plenty of mistakes, and the COF was more challenging this time, but all in all a really fun day. I have no confidence in the factory sights, so some new ones are on tap before next month. I think I'm going with fiber optic front and adjustable rear.

Over the next month I'm going to work on really seeing the target and smoth trigger squeeze. I really pull off on my second shot.

See ya'll out there! (Ya'll is a generic Kentucky term meaning a group of individuals, BTW. I do wear shoes and have all my teeth. :roflol: )

B

• 2 weeks later...

In Production accuracy is critical because of minor PF. Until you can shoot a stage at 90% As with no Ms you need to ignore the speed element. It really doesn't mater how fast your draw is or your splits or even your transitions if you can't get the hits. Major PF shooters can trade a little accuracy for speed but Production shooters can not ... IMHO ...

"Shoot for points, everything else for time."

I like this. I think I'm going to have to put up a conscious effort to try to follow this, as I do have a tendency to shoot just a bit too fast, sacrifing points in the process. Since I shoot Standard Minor (IPSC) this really hurts my bottom line...

I shoot with the same three guys on a regular basis. Two of them shoot a Springfield XDM (One guy shoots a standard XDM and the other shoots a 5.25) and they are both about your age (50's, as you mentioned above) and both of them use their weak hand to release the magazine during reloads. It looks very slow but between how stiff the button is and comfort, they don't want to do it any other way. I suppose it all comes down to your competitive drive. Neither of my shooting buddies are trying to burn up the course and win a given match. As a result, they are okay with the slower reloads.

It sounds like you intend on being competitive, which is great (actually, it would be great even if you weren't and were just getting out to get some practice with your gun). Some people say I get a little carried away (I think they're crazy) but I track my progress in a spreadsheet. Others have mentioned striving for 90% of the available points. I've found the only way I can do that accurately is to punch the numbers into Google Docs (or Excel) and see what a quick calculation spits out.

At a quick glance I can a variety of things to concentrate on during the next match. For instance, based on the numbers, did I shoot too fast? Was I shooting consistently from stage to stage, etc...

post-13097-0-10639100-1338831631_thumb.p