Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Loading Challenge

keno34

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a 7 second run. I have worked out in theory I could do 8.5 if I hit my best times for each part. A fast load time for me is 2.5 so on paper a 7 second run should be possible but very hard.

Total 700

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

These times are getting to be SMOKIN' fast!!!!

A proposal: Keith's idea of a standardized test is excellent, but a standardized test should be open to every action type, loading system, and shooter achievement.

From the Original Post: "The idea behind this challenge is to set some sort of standardized test for evaluating the many shotguns, shell holders and loading techniques available"

Just as a rifle bounce is mute on action type, or number of rounds required for each reload; just as an El Presidente is mute on the same, i.e. pistol type, number of rounds reloaded at mandatory point, I believe the definition of this standard needs to be tweeked slightly to allow all action types, all divisions, etc. to be measured.

For example: An El Presidente record could be set by an open pistol, limited 10 pistol, single stack or (in Jerry's hands) a revolver, depending on the shooter and his practice.

I propose the following tweek to this standard, which makes it neutral regarding action type or loading method.

Setup: exactly the same: 6 targets at 15 yards

Start: exactly the same: 2 rounds in gun, high ready start.

Loading requirement: exactly the same: a minimum of 12 rounds must be loaded into the shotgun.

End: exactly the same: last shot / target to stop the timer.

Method: HERE IS WHERE WE MODIFY: Instead of specifying load so many, shoot so many after the first shot, we leave this up to the shooter, action type, loading method. The last shot / target is still engaged after all loading / shooting "intermediate" targets is accomplished.

Examples:

Tactical, 8 round tube, using 6 round shell caddies: Shoot one, load 6, shoot 4, load 6, shoot one.

Open tube gun, using speed loaders: shoot one, load 12 (2X6?), shoot 5 or Shoot one, load 6, shoot 4, load 6, shoot one.

Open Mag gun, using magazines: shoot one, load 12 (or 23?), shoot 5

Tactical Mag gun :ph34r: , using 8 round mags, Shoot one, load mag, shoot 4, load mag, shoot one.

I admit, this standard does not accommodate single bbl or dbl bbl shotguns, but I can't think of a repeating shotgun type that would fail to post a time doing this standard.

mi dos centavos,

ericm

PS: ....and I just realized, if a magazine tube-type shotgun, you can't do this drill with less than an 8 round tube.

Edited by ericm

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...