Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Pro worth it?

grouse

I would go with the non pro version and put an apex trigger kit in. You can do it yourself, it cheaper than a gun smith, you wont have any wait time to get the gun back, and it will be way better than the trigger on the pro. I like warren tactical sights on my gun. No need for the pro sights.If you are shooting uspsa production you will want the APEX M&P Competition Action Enhancement Kit -Comp AEK. If you are shooting in uspsa limited you will want the Forward Set Sear And Trigger Kit. These are the mods I have done and I love them

The 5 inch is worth it over the full size for competition in my opinion. Why on earth they would not put adjustable sights on the pro is beyond me. Not worth extra money for the internals. I added the Dawson sights, a local trigger job, some stair tape and a mag well to my 5 inch .40 Pro to shoot limited and like it a lot. Just a little fluff and buff for the full size I use for Production. The extra 3/4 of an inch is much easier for me to shoot.

IF you can get an L version (non-pro 5" model) then no, it's not worth it. If you can't, then yes it is worth it. The Ls are pretty hard to come by. I took the Pro internals (actually pretty good) and put them on my 9c and my fiber is a nice backup for the range.

i must agree to disagree, most of the apex parts, can not compare with a great gunsmith. using all the factory springs, no light strikes and most of the travel removed. a trigger with less than 3# and 1911 like travel with factory parts.

i have seen where apex now a trigger to fix the travel but that cost as much as Dan charges for all the work.

just my 2 cents.

IF you are not going to do replacement sights and trigger work by all means get the Pro. If you are going to do the work on the gun get the L...or the Pro.

Whichever/whatever you get.... Get a 5" gun.

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for the Pro here mainly because of the extra sight radius. You are probably going to do some tinkering with either model and due to legal crap even the pro trigger can use work. Internally, you can tune either to about the same place. You cant reasonably add sight radius to the 4.25 though.

I found one and bought it immediately. Everything that is cool is getting so hard to find.

Back to the tread. The configuration is great. The sight radius is 1/4" longer than a 5" 1911. Very light. Great gun. Just needs some work. I don't mind the sights. The trigger does need some work, even the pro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Love my pro. I don't see where people are complaining about the sights, I think they're great. Solid black non glare rear thats wide enough to have space on both sides of the bright fiber optic front. Quick to pick up and keep an eye on for follow up shots...Perfect for me.

Love my pro. I don't see where people are complaining about the sights, I think they're great. Solid black non glare rear thats wide enough to have space on both sides of the bright fiber optic front. Quick to pick up and keep an eye on for follow up shots...Perfect for me.

The front blade is WAY too fat for me, and I dislike that massive Fiber rod they use.

I can't recall, but wasn't there something about problematic POA/POI with the heights they use-- specifically with the 124 and 147 grain bullets that most of us are loading for them?

Dunno, but after shooting Warren/Sevigny's on a Glock for so long... Every pistol I own that will actually see some serious use wears a set, or something similar to them.

I prefer the wider optic myself. Gives me a large glowing object to quickly get an eye on. I'm pinging 4" steel plates pretty quickly at 15-20 yards easily under the clock. POA/POI doesn't seem to be a problem for me. Guess I got lucky.

I can't believe S&W hasn't come out with their version of the XDM 5.25. Longer match barrel,lightened slide, adjustable low profile sights and some aftermarket trigger parts from the factory.

That's... the Pro, basically. Only... Well, not.

The slide is actually HEAVIER on the Pro than the L-- you'd have to ask the guys who insisted on re-designing it why that's the case... I haven't heard of any L's having stress failures or other issues that might make sense...

The sights aren't adjustable, but they are FO-- about as "competition oriented" as you see in most cases on factory guns.

The Pro Sear isn't really aftermarket, but it's notably different than the sears you'll find in the non-Pro M&Ps.

Without dropping names or wasting too much breath, suffice it to say that the platform is everything that it's ever going to be, barring a few small revisions here and there-- hopefully not in the Gen 4 Glock trend, where they actually cause problems initially...

The trigger on my 40 pro is horrible. 6.5 lbs on my Lyman trigger gauge. I would hate to see the pull weight on a non pro.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but the only change from a non-Pro is the sear. I have a full Apex kit in my Pro, and I am about to switch the standard sear for the Pro sear in a Shield (for my carry gun hopefully that is enough) to see what effect it has.

(P.S. while my shield has a heavy break compared to my APEXd Pro, it has a smoother stock trigger with good reset. That said, I will probably get a USB when I put TFO sights on.)

The trigger on my 40 pro is horrible. 6.5 lbs on my Lyman trigger gauge. I would hate to see the pull weight on a non pro.

All 3 of my 9 Pro's were the same, comparatively speaking.

They were all notably better than the non-Pro MiM sears, though...