Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just for fun lets list round counts on your pistols

Nealio

I know there have been questions about how many rounds these guns can shoot before stuff breaks so I thought the guys that shoot a decent amount could list what they have, how many rounds, and if anything has broken.

I'll start.. ;)

Gun: 9mm Limited

Round count: 14,500

Failures: got hammer follow after ~10K rounds, replaced sear and hammer with EGW. rear sight setscrews came loose, tightened them

I have two Limited pistols in .40 caliber. I am not sure how many total rounds are on each but I have probably shot a grand total of 75 - 100K through them. I basically shoot them until the velocity starts to drop 20 - 30 fps then replace the whole top end with a new one because its cheaper in the long run to get a whole new top end verses just getting a replacement barrel. I perform a full detailed strip and cleaning of the gun then replace all springs every 10K rounds. I am a big proponent of proactively replacing parts before they actually break or cause problems so I am sure I have replaced other parts that started to look worn out or damaged or simply had a boat load of rounds shot with them. As for broken parts I have listed them below....

Standard LPA Super Sight - Every 5 - 10K rounds. I have broken at least 8 of them in various ways. I have since replaced them with the Henning fixed rear sight.

Extractor - I have wiped out 3 extractors from case head separations. This usually takes out the Extractor roll pin and the extractor spring as well. I wouldn't consider this a "Gun Failure" as this is an over charge or compressed load issue using Clays powder.

EGW Hammer - I wore out the hammer hooks on an EGW hammer after probably 30 - 40K rounds of shooting. This early failure is probably due to me cutting down the hammer hook height too short.

Trigger Pin - I use the trigger Henning Pin Screw/Nut setup with the stock trigger. I went through probably 3 - 4 of these before I figured out that you can't tighten them down all the way or it will break the end of the screw off.

Cracked Slide - I improperly fitted a barrel on an old slide and it ended up cracking the slide. This happened about 5K after replacing the barrel.

Cracked Frame Rail - On my first Limited gun the frame rail channels were cut at a slight angle on the left side of the frame. This lead to a crack developing in the groove of the rail channel from the safety hole back to the end of the frame. I had a local gunsmith weld the frame and recut the frame rail channel and it hasn't cracked since.

Cracked Guide Rod Capture cup - When I was cleaning the gun one time I noticed that the guide rod capture cup had a crack down the side of it. Who knows how long it was cracked. The gun was still functioning correctly but I replaced it with one of the new Henning stainless steel ones just to be safe.

P9 Ultra IPSC. 9,505 Broke the slide stop in the first month, no problems since then.

Witness Limited 2,194 rounds. No issues

Witness 10mm 4,068 rounds. No issues but I changed the sight a few times.

P9 9mm 858 rounds, rear sight fell off.

• 2 weeks later...

tanfoglio stock2 9mm; small frame. Approx round count 75,000+ rds. Replaced the sear cage and sear set up to a stock3 set up. Replaced extractor springs and extractor.

Rear sight broke at about 60,000. I just noticed a small chip out of the inner lug recess in the side. I think it will be close to retiring after this season....I am using my back up stock 2 gunkote for some practice and small matches. (that probably has 6000 rds)

Edited by Mo Hepworth

m&p pro 9mm 43000 rds....just recently added apex trigger group....I have had only one failure to extract...no other issues or breaks. I have had some buddies shoot the gun with a handful of failure to feeds...I blame it on their weak wrists.

Limited Pro 9mm -- approximately 5-7K rounds. Only replaced the extractor spring.

Witness Match 9mm -- 2-3K. No problems or repairs.

Changed from the stock mags to the new Mec Gar mags.

gerritm

• 4 weeks later...

Limited .40, 15-20k. EGW sear, stock trigger w/ Henning pin/screw/nut, Henning guide rod and springs all around, stock slide stop (carry a Henning one in the range bag) and sights. No problems or repairs (won't count replacing fiber), but about to replace springs and maybe extractor as a maintenance item.

• 4 months later...

Limited Custom - 150.000 rounds!

Front sight lost after 30k

Extractor worn after 75k

Rear sight broke after 120k

After 80k switched to EGW hammer and sear - sear broke 30k rounds later (Just after it started to make unprovoked hammer fall), replaced by factory sear.

The gun recently started to malfunction quite often. A nice mixture of double feeds, failure to feeds, stove pipes, mags that won't eject (still) unprovoked hammer fall etc.

A tanfoglio is without a doubt a very reliable gun. That amount of rounds takes its toll on a gun....

I just bought a Stock 2 for production, got it 2 days ago and passed the 1000 round mark today! Nice gun, really happy with it!

Limited Pro 9mm -- approximately 5-7K rounds. Only replaced the extractor spring.

Witness Match 9mm -- 2-3K. No problems or repairs.

Changed from the stock mags to the new Mec Gar mags.

gerritm

Put another 3K this summer on my Limited Pro with no problems, gun is basically stock.

Having a .40 major being built, hope it is as good.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

sold my older stock2 wth high round count. Got my backup plus my new one....have about 1000rds thru the new one. Hope to run about 15,000rds by next summer. Shooting a little Open .38 super, standard .40, and my new sti Lawman in .45acp in the meantime. I will run some .22 thru my kit as well. :devil: