Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimalist Trail Runners

PistoleroJesse

Since cleated shoes are out for IDPA, I was looking into some minimalist trail runners that would serve double duty for running and IDPA.

Anyone have suggestions that have worked for both your trail running and shooting sports that will pass for IDPA legal?

I can always stick with my Northface Hedgehogs but I was looking for something with more ground feel and less weight.

Below is my short list. Anyone been using any of these and have any comment on their performance?

New Balance MT20v2

1786817-p-2x.jpg

Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove

1534354-p-2x.jpg

Inov-8 F-Lite 195

1219695-p-2x.jpg

Edited by PistoleroJesse

As anyone can tell you, I'm no runner. But I have a par of the barefoot merrells and like them quite a bit. They're exceedingly comfortable for all day wear and the traction is stellar.

id prefer something with more ankle support. Something at least water resistant would be nice also.

I don't mean to be a snob, but you did see that I want something minimal?

The point of 'minimal' is getting your body to use it's evolution to do what you need. I'm not a full fledged Barefoot advocate, but I have personally seen the benefits of minimal shoes on my balance. I can see the point of ankle support in contact sports, but not practical pistol sports where sprinting and contortions for shooting positions are needed, and it's my theory that a thinner sole, there fore more ground feel, will help foot work.

Speaking for myself, the toed shoes were highly uncomfortable. My feet didn't fit their pattern. But the flat sole, zero drop with a wide toe box is extremely comfortable. I particularly like how well I can feel fault lines.

Adding one thing... The merrells have a toe that wraps up around to the toenail. It does a good job of protecting me from kicking stuff.

Edited by Seth

I've been wearing the Merrell Trail Gloves for running and USPSA/IDPA matches since late last season. They've held up quite well and I've never been left wanting for traction. They're extremely thin and light, but still give good protection. My primary club is all gravel bays, and it's big sharp gravel that would leave my feet pretty sore when I wore my Chuck Taylors to a match. But the Vibram Merrell soles handle it just fine.

They're "0 drop" shoes, so if you're not used to them, your calves might be a little sore for a few days, if you're coming from running shoes with some heel. At least mine were, even coming from Nike Frees (kinda minimalist, but not 0 drop)

I haven't tried the other 2 options, but for low weight, superb groundfeel and good traction, the Merrells will be tough to beat.

You could just go fully Toe shoe. I love mine (haven't tried them for IDPA/USPSA though).

+1 for vibrams I wear mine everyday but if i also have a pair of inov8 xf210s that are extremely light and comfortable.

I wear the merrell trail gloves. I was going to try the new balance but i couldnt get the right size without special ordering. I normally wear a 13 and the nb 13 were way to tight. A size 13 merrell fits great. I ended up liking them so good i bought a second pair just to wear everyday. Just wish i could find a pair of dress shoes to wear to work that felt as good.

Edited by CJcycles

I'd seriously consider getting a pair with something like NB's Rock Stop in it. Brass and little rocks hurt.

My issue with minimalist footwear, though, is how much my foot can move in the shoe when cutting. Fine in a straight line, but put lateral pressure onto things and the thin mesh up top doesn't do a lot to hold your foot in place, wasting energy and, potentially, torquing ankles.

But I'm a big sumbitch. YMMV.

I'm a big sumbitch too, and I've been wearing Merrell Sonic Gloves (little more waterproofing than the Trail Gloves) for a number of months now and I love them. Only had losses of traction on surfaces where any shoe would have done it, cleats or no (mud). They work indoors, on wood, loose sand, gravel... love em!

I'm a big sumbitch too, and I've been wearing Merrell Sonic Gloves (little more waterproofing than the Trail Gloves) for a number of months now and I love them. Only had losses of traction on surfaces where any shoe would have done it, cleats or no (mud). They work indoors, on wood, loose sand, gravel... love em!

I'm talking about your foot moving in the shoe: shoe stays put on the surface, foot moves in shoe.

Edited by diehli

I'm talking about your foot moving in the shoe: shoe stays put on the surface, foot moves in shoe.

I know what you mean. I've never noticed this happening with my Gloves though :)

Check out the new balance MT110. Minimalist design, only 4mm rise, very lightweight, great traction, and has layer for rock protection. Love mine.

-br

Edited by BR

The thing with midfoot strike minimalist shoes is that, unless you are pounding on your heels, you are giving up some traction. I have the Merrel Trail Glove and the Salomon Speedcross 3. Both are light; The Salomon's aren't zero offset, but I'm not sprinting through a stage on my midfoot, so that really doesn't factor.

Looser ground calls for more aggressive tread patterns. The Merrels are fine for a hard packed dirt surface. I prefer the aggressive design of the Salomon's for looser surfaces and for the environment for which they were designed, mud and rain. I won't run on trails with the Merrels because of the traction issue. I run on the grass on the side of a road, where footing is more sure.

Hope that helps.

The thing with midfoot strike minimalist shoes is that, unless you are pounding on your heels, you are giving up some traction. I have the Merrel Trail Glove and the Salomon Speedcross 3. Both are light; The Salomon's aren't zero offset, but I'm not sprinting through a stage on my midfoot, so that really doesn't factor.

Looser ground calls for more aggressive tread patterns. The Merrels are fine for a hard packed dirt surface. I prefer the aggressive design of the Salomon's for looser surfaces and for the environment for which they were designed, mud and rain. I won't run on trails with the Merrels because of the traction issue. I run on the grass on the side of a road, where footing is more sure.

Hope that helps.

That would seem to indicate the pictured New Balance MT20v2 would be a better choice for it's all over luggs.

I know what you mean. I've never noticed this happening with my Gloves though :)

I've never had the foot movement issue in my Mudclaw 270's which I use for USPSA. They have the TPU plastic inserts on the side to lock your foot in just like the F-Light 195's, and the Merrels look like they have that same kind of concept but it also looks like they have additional straps over the top, so I doubt they would have any more problem than my Mudclaws. And since the Mudclaw has even more grip, it's more likely to roll an ankle, and since that's never happened to me yet I'm don't think foot roll is a huge concern for me in these lower traction shoes that would likely slide before roll...

action pistol tends to be more about stopping and setting than running. Especially in IDPA with the mandated short distances. SOft meshy foot wear rolls and blows out the side when you are running to the side and have to plant,

Plus the typical IDPA environment has ground hazards, rain, mud, puddles, cold temps, boards, cables ,activators, steel targets, I just dont see the advantage in this type of footwear for this sport and lots of disadvantages. Plus I hate wet feet.

I suspect that any concern about rolling over the side of these shoes is purely speculation.

I wear them to EVERY match I shoot. I wear them day to day. They don't roll. Quite the opposite, they're markedly stable, particularly since there's no leverage over the sole. Your foot is on the ground. The concern of rolling in them is entirely misguided.

Now they will get wet.....

Edited by Seth