Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optical Quality: Burris MTAC vs. Viper PST 1-4x

jkrispies

I've been using a Burris TAC30 on my AR for the past year and really liked the combo; did a side-by-side comparison to a 4x ACOG and found the Burris optical quality to be surprisingly superior. A buddy has been bugging me to sell him my scope and mounts so I finally caved in today figuring I'd upgrade to the Burris MTAC with an American Defense X mount. The only comparable optic in the MTAC price range that I see is the Vortex Viper PST for about $100 more. Just curious if anybody has done a side-by-side viewing of these two scopes to compare optical quality. If the Viper has superior optics I might opt to spend the extra C-note, especially since it has a mil reticle. Otherwise, I'm saving my cash and going with the Burris... unless some wise sage can convince me otherwise? Thanks, J

Edited by jkrispies

I have. I expected to like the Vortex better as I have a 4-14 pst on my 300 and love it, but the MTAC was every bit as good of glass and a far superior reticle. Save $100 and have accurate hold overs.

Edited by Nate

Thanks for the replies, guys!

From the reviews I've been able to find that reference both the Vortex and the MTAC, it seems to come down to which reticle the particular shooter prefers. I liked the reticle in my TAC30, so I'll probably go the MTAC route if for no other reason than price.

One other question comes to mind, though... I found that the TAC30 lit reticle isn't bright enough to see in daylight, even at its highest setting. I assume the same would be true of the MTAC (unless I'm assuming wrong?) whereas reviews of the Vortex seem to be split 50/50 as to whether or not that reticle is visible in daylight. Anybody want to weigh in on this? (It's a little bit of a moot point to since I'm fine with using the black reticle in daylight, but just kinda wondering now.)

Again, thanks for your assistance.

I looked around a bit too and found one reviewer who said it was visible in daylight, but his review was written in 2008 with a pre-production MTAC that was early released. Not sure how his review model would compare to the actual production model that is currently sold...

One thing I have noticed in discussions I have read is that the Vortex illumination is not as bright as the Burris (either model). However, advice has been not to make that the make-or-break decider either. I was hoping my MTAC 1.5-6x would get here this week, but my reseller isn't being too swift in order fulfillment, so far.

One thing I have noticed in discussions I have read is that the Vortex illumination is not as bright as the Burris (either model). However, advice has been not to make that the make-or-break decider either. I was hoping my MTAC 1.5-6x would get here this week, but my reseller isn't being too swift in order fulfillment, so far.

I've looked thru both, and I use the Vortex PST and really like it. It is shooter preference, but I shoot a lot of long range and the mil reticle feels right at home, so I don't have a problem with how busy it is. I love the clarity of the glass and the field of view is great.

The illumination isn't quite bright enough for sunny days, but I still run with it on during a match, because when it hits the target, paper or gong type, it pops a little bit more than just being black.

There is no doubt the reticle is the MTAC is easier and less confusing... but for the money, it was/is a good scope.

Just my 2cents...

I can appreciate wanting common reticles for distance shooting. My shooting partner and I went with moa reticles on our tac rifles so we can spot for each other without changing thinking, though he uses a Night Force (wow). At least for me the hold overs in the MTAC works great for both 55 and 69 grain loads with a little work. The best thing is when I throw my ar in a barrel I feel less anxiety.

I have both (TAC-30) and the Vortex. The Vortex has better glass and is built like a tank, but I prefer the Burris reticle for 3-gun, the Vortex lines are too thin for me to see quickly. If you had a lot of long range shots the PST might be better, but the matches I shoot are mostly close range stuff.

For the topic scopes...The Burris illumination is brighter than the Vortex. For slow precision, the Vortex has an advantage, for speed, the Burris. For my eyes, when focused correctly, the glass difference could not be discerned.

• 5 months later...

MTAC it is, now I have to decide between 1x4x24 and 1.5x6x40.

For the one optic divisions in 3Gun/MG, the 1-4 is the one to get. I have tried to talk several people out of a 1.5-6 and into a 1-4 unsuccesfully, most go to 1-4 eventually.

I was wondering the same thing about the 1-4 or 1.5-6. I REALLY wish Burris would make the MTAC line in a true 1-6. I'd even pay $100 more for it!

I am pretty sure that a 1-6 MTAC...

1. Has been suggested numerous times.

2. Has been considered by Burris

3. Will be a LOT more than $100 more if it happened. :roflol:

For the one optic divisions in 3Gun/MG, the 1-4 is the one to get. I have tried to talk several people out of a 1.5-6 and into a 1-4 unsuccesfully, most go to 1-4 eventually.

I checked out a 1-4 and 1.5-6 side by side at the store and for close up work, the 1.5 looks fine. I just really want the extra magnification of the 6x and worst case, I will have to buy another scope. LOL

I checked out a 1-4 and 1.5-6 side by side at the store and for close up work, the 1.5 looks fine. I just really want the extra magnification of the 6x and worst case, I will have to buy another scope. LOL

If you are already planning on potentially buying twice as you aren't listening to the good advice and experience you are getting in this thread...... You have just doubled your scope budget :surprise: , which means you may as well buy the true 1-6 you really want from the beginning.

:cheers:

I shoot a Tac30, and my buddy shoots a PST 1-4. The optical quality difference isn't significant; while we haven't specifically compared them, we haven't noticed a difference. I don't like the thin reticle and exposed turrets on his, and he doesn't like the capped turrets and thick reticle on mine- but I shoot mostly 3 gun, and he shoots mostly longer range.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but I'd second the suggestion to stick with a 1-4 or move up to a 1-6 rather than a 1.5-6.

If you are already planning on potentially buying twice as you aren't listening to the good advice and experience you are getting in this thread...... You have just doubled your scope budget :surprise: , which means you may as well buy the true 1-6 you really want from the beginning.

I am listening and I have weighed the advice, read other forums and come to the conclusion that I want to start with a 1.5-6. A good scope is never a waste, I have two guns in my safe that need scopes, if it does not work out for 3Gun, it will find a home quickly.

+1

Also, the 1.5x6 will be difficult to move later, which means money well wasted. 6x is cool, but 1x is far more usefull in this type of scope and 4x is plenty to get the job done.

I am listening and I have weighed the advice, read other forums and come to the conclusion that I want to start with a 1.5-6. A good scope is never a waste, I have two guns in my safe that need scopes, if it does not work out for 3Gun, it will find a home quickly.

Fair enough, I wasted my fair share of $$$$ when I started out (still do) :roflol: For a little perspective, I went ahead and shot irons while I waited for the scope I wanted to come out. I was holding out to see if Trijicon would release a 1-4x Accupoint with a bullet drop compensating reticle. Never happened, I am still shooting irons or a 1x. It is amazing what you can do without magnification, even with older eyes. Funny thing is, at the last local match the only clean run I saw on the "Long Distance" stage was an Eotech, not a 1-6x or even a 1-4x.